Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #1

Anyone been to Moab,Utah lately? Did you like it there? What are best months for going ?What hwys would you take out of Phoenix?
Thanks
Arlo Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #2

Anyone been to Moab,Utah lately? Did you like it there? What are best months for going ?What hwys would you take out of Phoenix?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
paz

We were in Moab in June of this year. It is a fantastic location. In fact, all we saw in southern Utah was fantastic.

Moab is near Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. While we liked Bryce and Zion in the southwestern part of Utah better, Arches and Canyonlands are not to be missed.

Moab also has a lot of opportunities for outdoor activities - rafting, hiking, and 4-wheeling. There are a number of places that rent Jeeps if you don't have your own.

From Phoenix, I would take I-17 to Flagstaff. Then take US 89 out of Flagstaff for about 65 miles. Turn right on US 160 to Kayenta. Take US 163 and pick up US 191 in Bluff, UT. This route will take you through Monument Valley, which is worth a drive through the Navajo Nation Park if you've never done it.

As far as best time of year, I can only tell you June is hot (90s - but it's dry heat).

Best wishes for a good trip.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 AM   #4

Paz..
Thank you for the very helpful info on Moab,Ut. We plan on going there in Oct. Weather should be a little cooler.It is certainly beautiful country. The help with directions,etc. will make it a much more enjoyable trip. It is always better trip if you can talk to someone that has been there.

Thanks again,
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

It may not be available off-season, but there is an evening dinner and cruise up the river that is unique. As the sun goes down, you cruise up the river to the sound of recorded music. The guide narrates the history of the region. As you come around a bend, the bluffs of the river are illuminated by bright lights. Unknown to you, the boat has been followed by a truck on the road along the side of the river equipt with banks of quartz flood lights. The lights change location and colors as the boat returns to the dock. Very impressive.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #6

Bill...
That is impressive!! Will definitely check that out.I'll bet you can really see the scenery from the boat.I am looking forward to enjoying the trip and exploring that area.
Thanks again,
Old 08-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

October won't be bad at all. It gets hot in Moab over the summer, which is when we're usually there. We've stopped a few times in February when passing through though and things are really dead. Many restaurants, etc are not open. Moab generally goes inactive after Thanksgiving and everything does reopen until Easter weekend, which is when the big Jeep Jamboree is held. By going in October you'll miss the heat and crowds but still have all of the main services open.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #8

I was thinking of dropping by there, this fall on the way to Glenwood Springs CO (Natural hot springs pool)...

I was there once before, but mainly we just went through Arches National Park (Wiley E. Coyote looking country).

Has anyone ATV'd or mountain biked over at Moab?

Suggestions on trail information?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Moab is known for it's Jeep trails and mountain bike trails. The Slickrock Trail is popular with mountain bikers. I did see ATV quads on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail while Jeeping there and there are a few Jeep trails that can be shared with ATVs as well but I don't recall any dedicated ATV trails. Then again, I don't ATV so I probably didn't pay much attention.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #10

I went there for a mountain bike festival a number of years ago and had a blast. We had trail guides to take us on trails of different skill levels. Any of the local bike shops will have trail maps and advise.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #11

We were there last fall and discovered Ken's Lake Campgroung just south of Moab and east off of 191 Its a BLM sight very quiet and a good base camp for Arches, Canyonlands and the other areas around Moab. http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/rec-frame.html
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We are planning on spending a week there during the middle of Oct as well playing on the jeep trails and sight seeing. Looking forward to it.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
KIX

For bike info call Gearhead's Bike shop in Moab.
A great jeep trail close to town is Hells Revenge. It's on Sand Flats Rd. Bikes do same area.
A good RV park that accepts Passport America is OK RV Park. Near the Spanish Trail Arena south on 191
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #14

Right downtown is the multi-agency visitor center. Moab Visitor Center
A good place to stop when arriving in town. Summer months hot but it doesn't seem as busy. Spring/Fall months seem to be the most popular and around Christmas it's a ghost town.
State liquor store is just south of Ramada Inn unless they have moved it recently.