Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Modding RV questions

I bought a motor home earlier this year and it only came in 1 layout. This layout has your normal bench dinette system that turns into a bed.

It's only my wife and I and really we'd rather have something that is more suited for lounging around as this is the only real seating other than the front seats.

So my questions are
1) is taking the dinette out just as simple as unscrewing screws? It seems that way just looking at it. It's on the slide out, but no plumbing or electrical are under it nor pumps or anything else.

2) how do I get new furniture in it? I was thinking either a couch with reclining seats or just 2 recliners.

The door is only about 2' wide so I assume I have to find furniture that I can disassemble or maybe comes disassembled to me? Have no idea how I can get it through that door..

Any help is appreciated.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Yea, the booth dinette is more than likely just screwed together. A close inspection should turn up most of the fasteners. If you want recliners, look at the slimmer versions of Lazy-Boy or online at the Euro recliners with ottomans. Both when taken apart should fit through the door easily enough.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Yea, the booth dinette is more than likely just screwed together. A close inspection should turn up most of the fasteners. If you want recliners, look at the slimmer versions of Lazy-Boy or online at the Euro recliners with ottomans. Both when taken apart should fit through the door easily enough.
Awesome, thank you.

If I go with something like the lazy boy is there a smart way to strap it down? I assume they don't come with hardware to screw into a base?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Well, we have two of the Euro chairs in the rear and 4 table chairs in the slide out. None of which are strapped down in any way. But if you believe you need to, two simple U shaped clamps screwed to the floor and a large nylon strap for each chair will hold them securely. You could also turn them back to back and place a nylon strap around the backs to hold them in place.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

You're the man. Thanks a ton.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm doing the same thing. I want to take out the couch and curved dinette and replace them with a recliner and a chair. The dinette would be replace with a small table and chairs. Just wondering how this would effect the weight balance of the MH. The couch doesn't seem to be very heavy folding it out, but the dinette is all wood and I guessing it is heavy.

Thanks,

Jim
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Jim,

I've done a lot of internet searching on the subject and many people do exactly what you are talking about. I don't think you have to worry about weight balance.. In fact I think overall you'd be better off with less weight in my opinion.

I've seen some people take out the dinette and put pretty bulky couches, and others take out a bulky u shape and put just a small table and chairs.

again just pictures on the internet.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
Jim,

I've done a lot of internet searching on the subject and many people do exactly what you are talking about. I don't think you have to worry about weight balance.. In fact I think overall you'd be better off with less weight in my opinion.

I've seen some people take out the dinette and put pretty bulky couches, and others take out a bulky u shape and put just a small table and chairs.

again just pictures on the internet.

Thanks for the information. We have had a ice storm here and no electricity for over 40 hours so I have been unable to do much RV wise. I have been looking since the power came back and have found several RV furniture sources. I found one that offers a double recliner that is a "wall hugger" and only requires 3 inches to recline. The weight is less than what I have removed so I may gain a little there.

Good luck with your project,
Jim
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
...I found one that offers a double recliner that is a "wall hugger" and only requires 3 inches to recline. The weight is less than what I have removed so I may gain a little there.

Good luck with your project,
Jim
Can you provide a link for that?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

Now Internet is down, as soon as it comes up I will post the link.
Jim

I am on my phone now.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

Here is the link to the furniture.

Wall Hugger Recliners, Glastop RV Seating
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #12

Changes we made.

Two power recliners by Palliser and removed the big analog tv and mounted the 39" flat screen on a swivel mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130907_100046_799.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	51935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4163.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	51936  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130715_192216_503.jpg