Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Modern interior style?

Hi everybody,

end of last year I had the chance to visit the Louisville RV trade show. I am European so it was the first time for me to see what is available in the US. I was quite impression by the sizes especially of this huge class-A vehicles. Never seen something like this on european streets
Another thing astonished me as well. The interior design!!! Dark brown leather combined with even darker woods. Solid frame flaps and huge fire places reminded me on old fashioned 80īs design.

I asked myself is there no demand for a more modern style or is there no supply?

What do you guys think about it? I am really curious about your opinion. Let me now what you think about it.

Always a full tank and a save ride!
Jorg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know what you mean by "solid frame flaps"? In regard to the dark furniture and dark wood, I have noticed that also at RV shows. My rig has light woods and light furniture. The fireplaces in rigs are relatively new (maybe 3 model years) in US rigs and are a big thing to have, especially for those in cooler climates since it produces some heat and helps save propane. There are some manufacturers out there producing European style interiors but I have yet to see one in person.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We also have been looking at the newer units.
Everything is dark. Wonder why there is not several choices of
wood color.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I think its the style if the day. If you looked at rigs from the 80's there would be bleached faux wood with bright greens/blues and some purples. Same as the 70's....burnt oranges, dark browns......and green fridges..Its the style of the day....But I'm sure if you custom order you can get light wood and what ever colors you want.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I hate the dark interiors and have told every factory rep at each RV show that I attend that the customer should have more choices. My rig was delivered July 2002 and I am still happy with it. We just added a glass tile strip on the back splash. I still like the ivory floor and the sage green carpet. I would rather clean than live in a small dark area because some dirt may show. At the Tampa RV show in Jan 2014 the manufactures did not even have color boards for customers to chose from if they decided to buy. The industry is not listening to the customers.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Think that the problem with interior design is that the target demographics are an older more conservative customer. MH interior design seems to be 10 yrs behind what is going into modern homes. My wife works in the interior design business and we are both in our 40's so when we started looking for a new MH we felt like we were walking in our parents house. There are some progressive designs out there, the Thor Serrano feels more European to us. The Entegras seem more modern but they do like the dark leather and wood. When it's all taken into consideration, floor plan is the single most important feature to us. We compromised on the interior design that she would have liked but haven't regretted the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We prefer the medium woods and more good cloth interiors. All leather can be problematic, especially with pets. It seems many of us FT'ers do have pets.

I do like the look and feel of real wood. The laminates in the ultra high end coaches do not really impress me.

We have medium cherry in our coach with solid surfaces everywhere. I also believe the really dark wood and dark furniture makes everything seem too dark, even in daylight. On the opposite side, we also do not like the really light wood with light furniture. I guess we prefer the medium browns and easy care fabric.

I believe most of the better manufacturers do allow some choice in the colors and type of materials used to finish the coach, although in order to really customize you have to have lots of moulah!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
not being rude, but -just my 2 cents/opinion, but the euro designs for home furnishing have always seems cheap and uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't want them in a motorhome -- or a house. It's kinda like IKEA -- you love it or hate it. I like the warm feelings of real wood and leather. It can make the space seem smaller.. but that is just the price you pay for comfort.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ultra Leather?

Ultra Leather is vinyl. Maybe a Newell has leather but not the others. Look on the back of your "leather". If it isn't suede it isn't leather. Just my observation.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
not being rude, but -just my 2 cents/opinion, but the euro designs for home furnishing have always seems cheap and uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't want them in a motorhome -- or a house. It's kinda like IKEA -- you love it or hate it. I like the warm feelings of real wood and leather. It can make the space seem smaller.. but that is just the price you pay for comfort.
Like wise, no offence meant, but I've seen a couple of layouts done up on the Euro concept, including the one with the round front windscreen one that was posted in a thread on this forum months ago, and one I saw on a travel program and I have yet to see anything that impressed me.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

I like the more modern styles as well. Here is a nice interior on a featherlite coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403305537.664647.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	636.4 KB
ID:	65824
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Many MH mfgr offer choices of interiors that can be altered, within limits, to individual taste. They are more American traditional but you can get lighter wood finishes, not white or washed beach, but relatively light. We have very light tan leather currently, our first coach had cream leather (yea I know it's not real leather). Our tile is light in color as well.
If you want real modern interiors your probably going to have to go with a custom coach of some sort. Builders are going to build what sells the most the fastest and like someone said most buyers are older and coming from traditional houses. That would include me.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I cant afford a featherlite coach. High end coaches like the featherlite offer one offs for millions of dollars and with that theres a ton of options when you spend millions of dollars. If you want the option even your base model unit will go up in price. Everyone wants the best deal......well then are you willing to pay 15 percent more. I don't think theres a ton of money made per unit. I've seen some of the more modern units which have some bright colored plastic. But again that will loose its appeal along with almond colored toilets and green fridges. In 10 years the main stream units might be filled with light colored wood, but not today.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
Agree.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote