Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Modifying roof a/c cover

I just watched a YouTube video about cutting out the rear of the a/c cover and replacing the air exit part with a hi flow metal mesh to improve air flow from the a/c. The idea is if the hot air exits faster more air can flow thru the condenser thus improving cooling.

Makes sense to me, just wondered if anyone else has done it and what the results were.

I really do not know how to post a YouTube link or I would have, but i found it searching by searching for “upgrading rv roof air conditioner” it is about 16 minutes but only about 10 pertain to the roof a/c.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

I added two extra a/c vents. Also opened up the air intake. Made a big difference.Click image for larger version

Name:	0823190853.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	257721Click image for larger version

Name:	0617181605.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	257722
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Here's a popular mod from another forum that accomplishes the same thing and is adjustable. Most just put 1 new round vent in. The vents are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

A couple of secrets to make your ac better. First, reduce the heat coming in. Pay attention to where you park. Then start looking for heat sources. I've made some Reflectix window inserts. Just get a roll online or from at Lowes or Home Depot. Cut them to fit where they will stay in but can be easily removed. You can add some of it to the inside of compartments that back up to storage compartments. Alot of heat is passed thru the thin wall. A piece under a matress will make a big difference. test this by slipping your hand under the mattress in the middle of the day and feel the warm under it. Look for light sources coming in during the day with all the curtains and blinds closed and light off. Those light sources are heat sources.

next, vent cushions. Inexpenvive, easy ti use and blocks a ton of heat out.

A big source of heat in mine was the skylight in the bathroom. I don't care for it but it was already there. I took the inside part down, cut a square to fit above it. I even taped the edges all the way around to seal it. Then put the inside part back up. Made a massive difference.

Then look at the air flow of you ac. Most are not sealed very well inside them. Ducts leak to the attic space. Return air sides are not sealed form the cold side. A roll of good foil tape will do wonders with sealing the leaks.

last, pay attention to how you use your rv. Do you or someone else stand with the door open? People tend to do that, especially friends that go along on a trip. They don't understand that the ac is not the same as a home ac.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Is that the video?
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Yes, thx!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Wow! That guy really knows how to stretch out a 3 minute video!
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roof