Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #267

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
Craig P,

Next time just use plain white vinegar. It takes longer, but it does the same job without the damage. I have a bottle that I use just for removing lime scale on shower heads and other plumbing. I pour it back into the well marked "plumbing only" bottle and reuse it many times.

I really like the new faucet! Nice upgrade.
Thanks.

The guy at the plumbing fixture shop recommended vinegar as well. I then reminded him that if I had used vinegar, I wouldn't be in his shop dropping $200 on a new faucet.

The Delta's new spray head has the rubberized tips that make it easy to remove any exposed deposits.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #268

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Heat

Quick look at nighttime temps in the Rockies this summer led the installation of a second electric heater. A convection/baseboard heater was selected for the bedroom to keep heating noise at a minimum. This heater is connected to the digital thermostat using a solid state relay for 110 switching. If it gets really cold and electric can’t keep up we just set the furnace thermostat at a slightly lower temp. Project cost: about $40 and four hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3120004.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	20307  

ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #269
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ctpres,

What brand of heater and where did you get it? I like the idea of quiet heat and the price is great!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #270

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Quick look at nighttime temps in the Rockies this summer led the installation of a second electric heater. A convection/baseboard heater was selected for the bedroom to keep heating noise at a minimum. This heater is connected to the digital thermostat using a solid state relay for 110 switching. If it gets really cold and electric can’t keep up we just set the furnace thermostat at a slightly lower temp. Project cost: about $40 and four hours
ctpres - nice application, and I can see where that may be a good addition to the Outlaw garage area - especically when it's being used as the "other" bedroom.

Do you mind sharing what your souce was for this heater?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #271

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would work great in the kids bedroom of our fifth wheel...can I ask where you got it?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #272

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
ctpres,

What brand of heater and where did you get it? I like the idea of quiet heat and the price is great!
EBay was source for "2512W Qmark/Marley 2' White 400W/120V Base Board Heater" at $31.00
And EBay was source for the 25 amp solid state DC relay at $5.00
Plus ten feet of romex, twenty feet of low voltage two conductor and two L brackets
Used L brackets under top of wire chase to keep heater from touching wall and allow easy removal later with no visable damage also to keep heater from discoloring wall material. Sorry I didn't take more pictures.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #273

Ford Super Duty Owner
Light Controller

Somehow we usually forget to leave an outside light on during daytime exploring and come home to a dark porch, fumble with keys and finally get in. Problem solved: Added wireless remote control to awning strip lights. Two bonus features from this project, now we can remotely dim/brighten the lights and in an emergency they will flash, all from the same key fob. Installation so easy, just cut wire to light, hot wires to input, light wires to output - observe polarity and mount with a couple screws or double stick tape. Got controller "Wireless Remote LED Light Single Color RF Dimmer Controller Control DC 12-24V 8A" on EBY Project cost: under seven bucks and fifteen minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2230001.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	20339   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170011.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	20340  

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #274

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drinking RV park water

This summers travel plans include a LOT of mountain driving. So I decided to put RV on a diet. Part of that weight reduction plan is to travel with nearly empty fresh water tank and to carry far less bottled water and drink rv park water after running thru at least two filters. The first filter was already inuse (typical Walamrt filter) and is installed with the hose hookup and the second will be just for drinking water at the kitchen sink with it's own faucet. I struggled with different locations for the big filter and finally decided to mount under the sink. Only advice I can give for this project is -remove the sink- it made the job so much easier. Project cost: under $110 and one day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3130005.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	20344   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150007.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	20345  

Name:	P3150010.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	20346  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #275

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been known to forget where we hid the emergency cash (that could be good news for whoever buys our RV.) Also DW’s Judge (410 45 combo pistol,) passports and other important papers needed a better resting place. Solution: a safe. Found a nice size (.3 cu ft)on EBay with electronic keypad and ACE key operated backup lock. Electronic keypad means battery operated, do not buy one without back-up entry method, preferably a key and generally speaking barrel or ace keys are a bit more secure than std. keys. Would not put life savings in it but any hi value item we do carry are safer in it than before. Ended up mounting to the floor in a deep cabinet so we can cover it up with stuff. Only regret is I didn’t think I could justify the added expense of getting one with adequate fireproof rating. Project cost: $41 and one hour.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3170002.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	20360  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #276
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Somehow we usually forget to leave an outside light on during daytime exploring and come home to a dark porch, fumble with keys and finally get in. Problem solved: Added wireless remote control to awning strip lights. Two bonus features from this project, now we can remotely dim/brighten the lights and in an emergency they will flash, all from the same key fob. Installation so easy, just cut wire to light, hot wires to input, light wires to output - observe polarity and mount with a couple screws or double stick tape. Got controller "Wireless Remote LED Light Single Color RF Dimmer Controller Control DC 12-24V 8A" on EBY Project cost: under seven bucks and fifteen minutes.
Thanks! What agreat cheap solution. I'm a gadget geek, though. Here's a link for anyone else who wants to order one. There are several suppliers, this is the cheapest.

Wireless Remote LED Light Single Color RF Dimmer Controller Control 12-24V 8A | eBay
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #277

Ford Super Duty Owner
One More Aggravation - GONE -

Always hated to be needing something from dinette storage bins. Remove cushions, big wood seat base, which is very awkward and hard to handle, then find a place to put it without hitting other things. Solution: cut it in half, drill new finger hole, sand lightly and done. Now all I have to do is slide one half on top of the other. Project cost $0.00 and thirty minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3200002.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	20420   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3200003.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	20421  

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #278

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Always hated to be needing something from dinette storage bins. Remove cushions, big wood seat base, which is very awkward and hard to handle, then find a place to put it without hitting other things. Solution: cut it in half, drill new finger hole, sand lightly and done. Now all I have to do is slide one half on top of the other. Project cost $0.00 and thirty minutes.

GREAT idea!!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #279

Now that's a great idea and soo simple- why didn't I think of that!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #280

Ford Super Duty Owner
Added Side View Camera

I have been playing around with this one for almost a year now. Time to get er done. Looked at all mounting locations and decided bottom of mirror housing was the best. First removed passenger side rear view bottom glass/convex mirror (check mirror replacement instructions.) This step done to be sure camera would fit on bottom side and not interfere with adjustment. No problem. Then temp. mounted camera on bottom of mirror housing and hooked up to monitor to be SURE viewing area was good enough. Next step to verify mirror stem hollow and room for wire - used 12 inch 1/8” wide ty-wrap for depth gauge. Pushed in and went far enough to reach RV side wall so also OK. Quick look under dash, after removing a’cond vent, at wire hole area, looking for wires in area and other possible drilling problems- also OK. Only then did I finally remove mirror, calking around edges made this most difficult part. Finally sharpened tip of putty knife to cut calk. Next need to determine location of hole thru side wall. Since Velvac mirror had a full rubber gasket with four screw hole and one in center for power wires - I opted to use existing gasket wire hole. After measure and check several times drilled hole for wire. Camera came with miniature round video and power plug and I decided to put plug on outside in case mirror ever needed to be replaced. While I was at it added a two conductor wire with camera wire to be used in another project - adding turn signals to mirrors, just like the more expensive coaches. Sealed wire entry with silicone and reinstalled mirror. The camera I used was from EBay “Waterproof Car Rear view Reverse Backup CMOS Camera silver” Be sure viewing angle is 150 degrees or better. I found one at - seller claimed - 170 degree
The monitor I used was also from EBay “4.3 Inch LCD TFT Monitor backup camera” with two video channels, but I am only using one channel - for the passenger side camera. I will have two active monitors on dash one seven inch for rear and the smaller 4 inch for side camera - that way I can see both at the same time. Hope pictures answer your questions. Project cost: under $50 and one day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3250003.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	20587   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250001.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	20588  

Name:	P3250002.jpg