Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #281

Rear View Camera

Great Mod! I was wanting to do this on my Ford Fusion because the trunk panel is so high I can't see behind when backing up. Kits I've seen were over $600. I can afford $50. I'll also get a couple of extra cameras to repair my foggy ones on the coach.

Thanks for the tip,

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #282

Nice safety mod!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #283

Ford Super Duty Owner
Added mirror mount turn signal

While I was installing the side view camera (see post # 280 this forum) I ran two wires in mirror housing to dash for future mirror mounted turn signal. Got the lights today and installed passenger side. Parts used: Peterson M168A Piranha LED slim line light and Peterson 168-18 mounting gasket and some two conductor stranded. The lights fit nicely into LOGO space on the Velvac mirror. Now that project done I would suggest calking light as opposed to rubber gasket. Had to do a little filing and gasket trimming to get it in the flat logo space. Have not actually tied into turn signal circuit yet as I want to do some LED conversions first to reduce power consumption before adding more load. Project cost: (two lights and gaskets) $16.00 and thirty minutes for passenger side.
Note: unexpected benefit of full time side camera viewing - is ability to SEE coach position in lane, how close to curb or edge of pavement. I very much like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290005.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	20716  
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #284

Ford Super Duty Owner
LIL blue frig fan

Got tired of looking at fan orange power wire dangling inside frig. See post # 146 this forum. Cut off power wire at fan and replaced with some scrap white single conductor stranded. Then used painters tape to secure wire along new route. A few shots with hot glue gun and done. Looks SO much better
Project cost: $0.00 and ten minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3290004.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	20718  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #285

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dinette/booth AC outlet

No 110 VAC outlet in dinette space and with two computers powered by the nearest outlet, wire always seemed to be in the way. I added an outlet as shown and just plugged the other end into an outlet behind the couch. Now both power cords and bricks can stay in place when we are parked or on the road. One less thing to do get out and put away at every stop. Material: 6 ft appliance power cord, cable clamps, old work electrical box, outlet and cover plate. Project cost: under $20 and three hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3290003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	20751   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290002.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	20752  

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #286

Ford Super Duty Owner
Permanent Battery Minder Plus installation

Chassis battery gets to low to start engine after being parked in one spot for much over a week. All to often seemed to be to much trouble to hookup battery charger or I forgot. After confirming with mfg. tech support that it would be OK, I permanently connected Battery Minder Plus to AC and battery. Now if I have engine running, shore power or generator running the chassis battery is being charged, I donít do anything! On the battery end I connected to the chassis side of a circuit breaker and good ground. On the 110ac side I just plugged it into an outlet under the dash and secured the charger with a ty-wrap. Only ran into one problem. As you can see by the second picture part of the outlet was blocked by a carpeted wire chase. Solution - remove outlet chase and turn upside down. Project cost: under $60 for VDC 12117 battery charger, maintainer, conditioner and about three hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4010003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	20863   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4010001.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	20864  

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #287
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Added 12 volt outlet in bathroom

I added a 12 volt (cigarette lighter style) outlet in the bathroom next to the light switch. Just unscrewed the switch and pulled it aside so wire wouldn't get damaged, then drilled a 1 1/8" hole with a spade bit about 2.5 " to the side of the switch, inserted new socket and connected the wires to the exisiting switch wires using uh, I can't think of what they're called -- the little blue clip-on wire connectors made for this purpose.

Now I can charge my cell phone and Mifi out of the reach of little monkey hands. Cost: $7 Time: 30 mins -- those little hands wanted to help, should only take about 20 minutes.

The more I boondock, the more I appreciate everything 12 volt. Solar works!
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #288

Ford Super Duty Owner
A Better Sun Visor

Factory sun visors best use turned out to be shelf for small items. Eventually found RV Quick Shades as a source for two piece solar screen that covered inside top ľ of windshield and was mounted to glass with suction cups. Worked very well for almost two years - only problem was suction cups would eventually let go and screen would drop - really fun when driving. Solution: remove window trim, take suction cups off and tape screen to windshield gasket with duct tape. Hint, use painters tape to get it in position first, remove wrinkles and then secure with the duct tape. Project cost: fifty cents worth of duct tape and one hour
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4020001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	20908   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4020003.jpg
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	20909  

Name:	P4020006.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	20910  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #289

Nice trick!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #290

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shore power cable support

Some time ago I rigged bungee to support water hose and reduce tension/stress on city water connection. Today I decided to do something similar for the shore power connection. Thirty amp cord hanging off Marinco plug with no support, seemed like a problem waiting to happen. Cut an L bracket down to about Ĺ x Ĺ inch, drilled screw hole on one side, larger hole for S hook on the other and rounded the corners for looks. Slipped some tubing (for friction) over the S hook and secured S hook to L bracket with washer and cotter pin. Dab of silicon on each end of tubing to keep it in place. Used a screw from gas tank fill port for mounting. When not used S hoop rotates to side for transport. Could use bungee in place of S hook but I decided to try a more permanent setup. Note: 1. everything rustproof but S hook. 2. Depending on your software you might be able to click all of my pictures to enlarge for more detail. Project cost $0.00 - all from scrap pile and about two hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4020003.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	20920   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4020004-001.jpg
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	20921  

Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #291

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Some time ago I rigged bungee to support water hose and reduce tension/stress on city water connection. Today I decided to do something similar for the shore power connection. Thirty amp cord hanging off Marinco plug with no support, seemed like a problem waiting to happen. Cut an L bracket down to about Ĺ x Ĺ inch, drilled screw hole on one side, larger hole for S hook on the other and rounded the corners for looks. Slipped some tubing (for friction) over the S hook and secured S hook to L bracket with washer and cotter pin. Dab of silicon on each end of tubing to keep it in place. Used a screw from gas tank fill port for mounting. When not used S hoop rotates to side for transport. Could use bungee in place of S hook but I decided to try a more permanent setup. Note: 1. everything rustproof but S hook. 2. Depending on your software you might be able to click all of my pictures to enlarge for more detail. Project cost $0.00 - all from scrap pile and about two hours.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #292

Ford Super Duty Owner
Frig bug screen

Mud daubers and wasps always will be a problem for RVíers. Some how I didnít mind paying for furnace and water heater screens but cost of frig screen set just seemed to high. So I decided do it myself. Biggest problem was finding screen that didnít block to much air flow. Finally found some left over soffit screen with holes almost twice as big as std. screen. Cut strips just a bit narrower then opening. Each piece should have a finished edge that will be on the outside edge - less chance of damage during wash jobs. You could use copper wire strands to hold in place. I decided to use hot glue. Project cost: material $0.00 - scrap and labor about two hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4030007.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	20965  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #293

Just got back from a great week at Lopez Lake, and
wail I was there installed Bal Lock arm stabilizers on
the back of the trailer,does help some with the movement
when your in the back of the trailer and someone is
in the bedroom or bathroom.
Have two in the front thinking of adding two more to the front.
When I put the stabilizers on the scissor jacks it stopped the
movement in that direction but the scissor jack still moves in
the other direction not sure how to attach stabilizers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5020163.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	20995  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #294

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing leads to another

Found an old vinyl covered cup hook - gee that looks like same color as cockpit vinyl. Removed a center screw on cockpit overhead storage and replaced with cup hook. Now DW has just right place for a hanging basket. About this time I am thinking it is time to run calibration on leveling system. Gee I can hang a plumb bob from that new hook. Leveled coach with carpenters level then made VERY small mark on dash for plumb bob. Ran Lippert calibration and leveled coach several times using auto level. Plumb bob showed Lippert auto level pretty close every time. Now once in a while I can see if calibration needed without carrying the big level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4050005.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	21017   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4050006.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	21018  

Tags