Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #323

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol912 View Post
Just completed my tile job! Removed the mirrors and replaced them with glass and ceramic tile. What a difference it makes! DW loves it. Here are my "after" pics.
Nice job! What did you use to secure the tiles and seal the wall?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #324
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Just completed my tile job! Removed the mirrors and replaced them with glass and ceramic tile. What a difference it makes! DW loves it. Here are my "after" pics.
Nice tile job! How did you deal with the metal window frame and round corners?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #325

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Nice job as well! Now what did you use for adhesive? Tile mastic or thin set? Can't imagine the strength needed to hold the tiles with all that movement. Let me know as I would like to try tiling mine.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #326
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I would think you would use a mastic and a flex grout.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #327
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

To Jol942 on tile backsplash

We are getting ready to do ours..... Would really appreciate more photos and a closeup photo around windows and tight areas, and specifics on products you used.... Have picked out a glass, stone random tile... Hate the mirrors as well......
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #328
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
We are getting ready to do ours..... Would really appreciate closeup photo around windows and tight areas, and specifics on products you used.... Have picked out a glass, stone random tile... Hate the mirrors as well......
Ya, who was the one who came up with the mirrors around the stove area. Obviously someone who never ate bacon!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #329

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the nice comments. I will get together more instructions and pics for you this evening. My day job is calling me .
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #330

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the nice comments. I will get together more instructions and pics for you this evening. My day job is calling me .
Bad day job. slap slap
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #331

So the first two pics are the leveler boxes I made. Made from stainless and welded together. I have a wide stance trailer and didn't want to deal with the Lego blocks. Also didn't want to have to put dirty wet nasty boards in the pass thru.

Second is my solution to my 18 month old trying to escape. It's on the screen door

Last is the bulkhead. I installed a wii console in the lower right cubby and fished the receiver up to the tv turn table. The tv and fireplace both rotate so they can be seen in the master. The wire runs from below tv up into the roof area and down the right side of the bulkhead. PIA but it was worth it. Now we can play wii from bed or stream movies since the pick up spins with tv.

Also installed a TP holder and towel rack in bathroom. Paper towel holder in kitchen and installed reverse lights on the back of trailer and at the fore and aft of the axles and at all 4 stabilizer pad locations. Also added more running lights down sides of trailer. One in the middle wasn't enough for me. Switched tail lights to led. And black reflective tape on the black rub rails down the sides and back of trailer

Future mods:
Reverse camera on rear of trailer. It will tie into the existing truck back up camera system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2669064345.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	21447   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4906299.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	21448  

Name:	image-884613004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	21449   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2233119486.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	21450  

Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #332

well I put these puck light in the ceiling that
I got from CW had halogen bulbs in them
brought 6HPled disc lamps to replace the
halogen that were to hot got the led
at superbrightled.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC200037.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	21451  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #333

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

Ya, who was the one who came up with the mirrors around the stove area. Obviously someone who never ate bacon!
That's a fact!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #334

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a known fact that Interior Designers charge so much per hour that they can well afford to eat out all the time. They're making bacon & not cooking bacon. Duh!

Re: tile grouting. Use the no-mastic, no thin-set method now in vogue. It's available at any home-improvement store. It's basically a cut-to-fit super stickly fly paper. You press tile into adhesive & go straight to final grouting. No more 2-day job!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #335

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Factory sun visors best use turned out to be shelf for small items. Eventually found RV Quick Shades as a source for two piece solar screen that covered inside top of windshield and was mounted to glass with suction cups. Worked very well for almost two years - only problem was suction cups would eventually let go and screen would drop - really fun when driving. Solution: remove window trim, take suction cups off and tape screen to windshield gasket with duct tape. Hint, use painters tape to get it in position first, remove wrinkles and then secure with the duct tape. Project cost: fifty cents worth of duct tape and one hour
i see you use the same wiper protectors that we do, I love the pipe foams, inexpensive and not a big deal if they blow away
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #336

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK more pics and info on my tile job. Thanks for your patience. After removing the old mirror and double face tape, I scraped off any residue from the tape to make sure I had a smooth surface. I used a new product from Home Depot called "Tile Setting Matt". It really is just a large sheet of double faced tape which comes with instructions and easy to use. I removed one protective side of each matt and placed it on the wall. I then removed the other protective surface and placed my glass and ceramic tile on this side, applying pressure and making sure everything is in the right place on the first try. Once on the tile setting matt it is almost impossible to remove the tile. I removed the window frame and placed the tile around it to make sure once the frame is reinstalled it will sit atop of the tile and no edges are showing. Using this type of glass tile allows me to remove pieces as needed around corners and electric plugs. I used my diamond tile saw to form shapes as needed also. After all tile was in place, I then used premixed grout which can be applied immediately. I waited at least two days for it to setup before I used a spray on sealer. All my glass tile and ceramic trim molding was purchased at Home Depot. My total costs for this project was around $350. Shortly after this mod to our DSDP we made a roundtrip drive north of 3,000 miles and nothing moved or broke. Thinking of something similar now for the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glasstile4.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	21496   Click image for larger version

Name:	glasstile5.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	21497  

Name:	glasstile3.JPG