Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #407

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
My winter project is to remove the U-shaped dinette and would appreciate any advice from this learned group. I anticipate that I will have to take it totally apart to get it thru the door. Any tips?

Barb, it was very easy. And believe me, when I say easy, it was. My body isn't built for much twisting and strain.

Mine had four wood screws on top of the seat area, removed them, removed the plywood for the seat, four hex bolts on the bottom of the frame, then 3 screws into the wall. Don't know how yours is but shouldn't be much worse, if at all.

Good luck and see my pics posted previously here....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #408

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dinette Slide Floor Space Rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I finally did it last weekend. The new table is great with the leaf I can seat 4 and perfect for two.

So much more room has been freed up now that the booth dinette is out.

Also, the chairs are foldable. I can keep two of them under the bed for use as needed.
I absolutely want this rug for that area under the table/chairs. The only problem is the space is 39.75" x 75" which is all slide-out. None of these rug sizes will work. Anyone got any ideas?

Eventually, I will replace all the carpet, but the rug will work for now. I'm painting the dinette walls a shade of light tan that will blend well with the colors in this rug...

United Weavers Contours Avalon Toffee (510-22859) Area Rugs
Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #409

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen44 View Post
Got fed up not knowing what my battery voltages were so I built the display boxes using a cheap $2 meter from ebay and a project box from radioshack
The inside boxes power off with the battery switch and the outside ones I used a push on/off button again from radioshack. Now I know the status of coach & chassis batteries at a glance and can also see what is charging etc.

Stephen
1999 Tradition
Very nice. I've been playing with that same idea but was unsure of the meters off eBay. Now I can use that handy spare project box that's been sitting on the shelf gathering dust!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #410

Upgrades to a 1996 Monaco Signature Series,,

Flat Screen TV's

Silverleaf Glass Dash

Mini Cooper Mug Holder

Extra large Grab Rail

Winegard Tracking Satellite System

Electirc Trailer Brakes

Changed Funky Monaco Paint Scheme to Plain White

Buffed Alcoa's

Oversized Michelins

Personalized Plates

New Sony Back Up Camera

Reinforced Air Brake Valve

And the project continues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00185.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	30980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00187.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	30981  

Name:	IMG-20121116-00189.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	30982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00191.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	30983  

Name:	IMG-20121116-00188.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	30984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121116-00186.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	30985  

Name:	IMG-20121020-00143.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	30986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120705-00201.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	30987  

Name:	IMG-20120705-00200.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	30988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120622-00168.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	30989  

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #411

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow Joe, you have almost a new Monaco now! Santa was good to you this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #412

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kent, I know it's been 8 weeks since you posted. Did you find solution for the rug size? I would suggest you contact a rug store or carpet layer about cutting the rug to size and binding the edges.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #413

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Kent, I know it's been 8 weeks since you posted. Did you find solution for the rug size? I would suggest you contact a rug store or carpet layer about cutting the rug to size and binding the edges.
Well, I haven't worked on it anymore. I'm a bad boy. I'll keep you posted though!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #414

Gulf Streamers Club
I should know better than to look at threads of this nature, I find lots of things I want to do and lotsa ways to spend DW's money.
gasman28110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #415
Moderator Emeritus

Hubby installed a vent in the bathroom wall behind our electronic fireplace. The wall would get very warm after using the heater for extended periods, so this will allow air to circulate in that wall.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #416

Quote:
Wow Joe, you have almost a new Monaco now! Santa was good to you this year.

That was my plan. Dad bought this new in 1996 and it has really no miles on it. When mom told him a couple years ago he couldn't drive it any more (he started backing into things) it sat for a couple years and never moved. I was using an older Pace Arrow that needed a lot of work (over 300,000 miles on it) So Mom and Dad turned the Monaco over to me. I can do a lot of work for what the cost of these units are. It really seems like a new coach to us (my wife and I)

Thanks for the response!!

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #417

Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting older/slower

Sorry I have not been posting mods lately. Seems all the quick and easy ones I can think of are done. But coming soon - table and chairs mod and the big one, a fire place. The fireplace mod may be interesting to many as it is in a five inch thick wall and extends less than two inches.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #418

Ford Super Duty Owner
Table Mod

Just the two of us now. But with occasional guests for dinner, we still need seating for four. Storage under seats not very useful (no drawers.) Finally decided more table space, larger and more accessible storage with more seating options needed. My version of the table mod follows.
First find suitable table. I picked 26 x 36 trestle table with 10 inch leaf for a total of 46 and an additional 8 inches leaf if we need it. Since we will travel with table leaf in place, the built in table leaf compartment now becomes additional storage space.
With booth out I had about 69 inches of wall space to work with. To maximize storage space I opted for 24 in kitchen wall mount cabinets. Two 24” cabinets and 26” table wouldn’t fit. I solved problem by setting table edges on top of cabinets. I added shelving between cabinets giving big boost in storage . The one piece cabinet top gives us an additional six square feet of table or set-a-bout space.
Remove booth, table and seat belts. Plug and weatherproof seatbelt bolt holes in slideout floor.
Cut carpet opening about 1/8 inch smaller than space needed ie. edge of carpet would be under cabinets. Once cabinets in place push edge of excess carpet down with putty knife for a finished look. Cutting carpet at this stage will make carpet replacement easier later.
The cabinet top is ¼” oak plywood with 1x2 on exposed edges to keep things in place underway.
One picture shows cabinet door, string and a putty knife. Panel for door is not as wide as grove. It rattled. In normal environment not a problem. I just assumed panel would rattle underway. I used putty knife to wedge string into excess space on inside of door. Once stained, string doesn’t even show and no rattle.
Removed one table leg and cross brace. Added spacer between top of leg and bottom of table to compensate for slight increase in height. Using only one leg allowed me to relocate it to outermost edge of slideout floor giving us more foot and leg space under table. With only one leg I secured table end to a connector between the top front of cabinets. With the one leg screwed to slide floor, table now more solid than with the two factory legs.
Cabinets came with only one very heavy particle board shelf. I wanted more. I used ¼ inch oak plywood with 1x2 front edges doubling number of shelves. Not shown is AC outlet strip I added under table for computers and other stuff.
Tried staining wood to match Damon cherry with no luck. Biggest project mistake was using Minwax Polyshades. I DO NOT recommend it. Works OK on straight flat surface but will not give nice even coverage at right angle corners. You will probably end up with light and dark coverage at 90 degree edges.
No handles on cabinet doors - reason - figured legs or chairs would be hitting handles. Testing confirmed handles not really needed anyhow.
I found four used folding chairs that are less than 15 inches wide. Two guest chairs can be stored vertically in the small space under our bed. BTW the “USED” chairs had absolutely no sign of wear or previous use.
Some project cost will be recovered by selling booth and table.
End result: more open look, more storage, more table surface and anyone laying on couch can see the fireplace. (more on that later.)
Major Material items:
2 - unfinished kitchen wall cabinets - 12d x 24w x 30h
1 - 4 x 8 sheet of 1/8 inch oak cabinet veneer for visible ends of cabinets and to cover visible wall space between cabinets.
1 - 4 x 8 sheet ¼ inch oak plywood for cabinet top and shelves
3 - 1 x 2 x 8 foot oak boards for shelving and top edging
1 - AC outlet strip
All above from local big box store
1 - trestle table (do not trust color - ours was much darker than picture on laptop monitor) from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Apartment-Boat-Hide-A-Leaf-Trestle-Table-Hardwood-Stained-Medium-Oak-Made-USA-/330789963636?pt=US_Tables&hash=item4d049e4774
4 - chairs from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400333194217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 BOOTH OUT.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	32678   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 STRING FILLER.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	32679  

Name:	4 TABLE ON TOP OF CABINET.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	32681   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 SPACE BETWEEN CABINETS.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	32682  

Name:	6 NEW CABINET SHELVES.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	32683   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 STRIPS GLUED TO SHELF BOTTOM.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	32684  

Name:	8 ONE LEG.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	32685   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 AND DONE.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	32686  

Attached Images

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #419

Dinning Table Upgrade

Great idea to use kitchen wall cabinets for the buffet cabinet! That would have saved me a lot of work on my similar conversion. I had to use several different shades of stain to get my woodwork to match the existing cabinets. I find the storage space is much more usable with the buffet cabinet than with the big drawers under the bench seat.

Dave
07 Revolution
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #420
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking forward to seeing CTPRES' fireplace install. It looks like the interior wall in our 2 RV's is very similar.

The fireplace I used has rear air intake and topside exhaust for the built-in 1500W/750W heater, so it pretty much had to be flush mount, without some custom made ducting.

I'm now looking to add a mantel shelf between the TV and fireplace for 2 reasons - improved appearance and to deflect the heater output away from the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Sorry I have not been posting mods lately. Seems all the quick and easy ones I can think of are done. But coming soon - table and chairs mod and the big one, a fire place. The fireplace mod may be interesting to many as it is in a five inch thick wall and extends less than two inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
So, what's better than a nice warm fireplace!

Attachment 28035

Attachment 28036

Attachment 28037

The TV and this piece of wall are just behind the main slide in our Damon Outlaw. The fireplace is all electric with a remote to control the 3 heat settings (cool, 750Watt & 1500Watt) and the flame effects (visuals) are on a 7 setting dimmer, using only 2 nightlight bulbs.

I saw a fireplace in a BIG 5th Wheel at an RV show this past summer and just knew I had to have one in my Class "A"!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs