Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #519
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Our new trailer (under 2 months old) only has the pass-through area for exterior storage. Our last trailer, despite being about 8' or so shorter, had an additional exterior compartment that was just large enough for all the dirty stuff like sewer fittings, chocks, levelling blocks, etc. We really miss that and found that just the new pass-through alone doesn't work all that great for us.

This is the most ambitious mod. I've done to date on this and our last TT. I've done a few straightforward ones on our new TT and will post them another time. 'Course, there'll definitely be more to come over time...

I ended up buying a trailer tongue box as in the photo. It fits the angle of the A-frame area perfectly between the frame members. In order for this to work, I have to relocate the battery (only one for us) elsewhere. After mulling it over for some time, I pulled the plywood off the forward side of the storage space to see what there was behind our fiberglass cap. You can see in the before pic how much space there is. I ended up building a 3-sided box in the center (11"Dx14"Wx15"H) for a sealed battery box. At the same time, I built some new storage space on either side of the battery spot. I also created a space to relocate the water pump to which is presently stuck on the rear side of the pass-through and has no enclosure, is vulnerable and takes up too much space.

The aluminum mesh doors swing down if needed to put things in or get them out easier. We now have 100' of potable water hose in there on one side that previously had no other place to go.

I'm presently am waiting for the sealed battery box c/w vent to arrive. It took a lot of digging to find a vent that is black.

The final phase of this project will be mounting the tongue box. I am not sure quite yet how I am going to reroute the LP gas hose and electrical wiring around the box.

The tongue weight on our trailer is on the high side at 14.5% of the total scaled trailer weight and I am hoping moving the battery rearward a couple of feet will help a wee bit. But the tongue box loaded up with stuff isn't going to be that light I guess.

ps: Nice to find this thread. But about 1.5 years after it started, I see that despite the suggestion in the beginning, there is no separate area for mods & upgrades. That's too bad because this is a great site otherwise.
Great looking mods! As for creating a separate section for mods and upgrades, we currently have no plan to add more sections to the forum. We made this thread a "sticky" so it is always at the top and easy to find.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Great looking mods! As for creating a separate section for mods and upgrades, we currently have no plan to add more sections to the forum. We made this thread a "sticky" so it is always at the top and easy to find.

And a big thank you for the "sticky"!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #521

Finally got around to doing the basement TV / Blu-Ray player install, got it 98% completed. Still waiting on the matching floor felt to cover the wood and the holdbacks to secure the tv in place while traveling. It's mounted on an articulating arm so it can swing out and rotate approximately 90 degrees either direction.

Hardest part was running the HDMI cable from the overhead cabinet to the basement compartment, what a pain! Had to really think this out as i didn't want the entire space taken by the TV cabinet but in the end i still have store behing for the step ladder and other such stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	39661  
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #522

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great day in the MOD world

We Are Famous/Sticky
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #523
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
We Are Famous/Sticky
You can thank SarahW for that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #524

Ford Super Duty Owner
Low Budget Slide

I promised this one some time ago and just got around to it. Rear basement storage is huge and I have wanted a slide since day one - but cost way to high. At last RV show, saw a new RV with plastic striped platform riding on aluminum rail/angle. Finally figured it out. Material needed:
1. One sheet of 1/4 inch thick virgin UHMW plastic sheet as needed for cutting into 7/8 inch wide strips long enough for both sides of platform. Note: cutting needs care as plastic tends to wander - very difficult to cut into strips. But doable.
2. two 1x1x1/8 inch aluminum angle - length of platform plus length of platform travel.
3. two wood supports for angle.
4. 3/8 to 3/4 inch plywood cut to size of platform. Thicker for wider platform. Mine was almost 4 feet wide so I used 3/4 inch plywood.
5. Handle of choice

I cut 2x4 rail support just enough to allow space for our camp table to be stored under the slide.
Screw plastic strips to bottom edge of platform with recessed wood screws.
Screw aluminum angle to wood support with recessed wood screws. In the end plastic slides on smooth aluminum.
Screw wood support to side walls.
This will not be ball bearing smooth/easy to move. But at 74 I can pull over two hundred pound load out with one hand.
In picture note white space between plywood and aluminum angle - that is end of plastic strip.
If you shop carefully - this could easily be an under $100 project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4240001.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	39912  
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #525

Refrigerator Door Panel Modification or Replacement

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever replaced their refrigerator door panels with another colored panel or just covered the existing panels with contact paper?
Secondly, if you have crossed this road before, how do you remove the panels?

Currently, our Sightseer has a Norcold N611 refrigerator with the gray "stainless steel" look door panels. Since both the microwave and stove are black, I'd like to change the color of the refrigerator to black or find a wood grain panel or that would closely match the wood. I would also entertain the idea of just covering the existing panels with appliance grade contact paper.

Any insight, ideas and direction is greatly and most humbly appreciated!!
74foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74foxx View Post
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever replaced their refrigerator door panels with another colored panel or just covered the existing panels with contact paper?

Currently, our Sightseer has a Norcold N611 refrigerator with the gray "stainless steel" look door panels. Since both the microwave and stove are black, I'd like to change the color of the refrigerator to black or find a wood grain panel or that would closely match the wood. I would also entertain the idea of just covering the existing panels with appliance grade contact paper.

I will make a guess that if you remove the SS panels. You will find that it is already black. But I do not know how to remove the panels.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #527

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

The panels on our 4 door nor old have a plastic molding on the outsides. Pull off molding, and the panels slide off outward. Our panels were wood to match the cupboards. We painted out cupboards white, removed the panels and painted them white.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #528
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'd take the doors to an auto body shop and sprayed black.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #529

Gulf Streamers Club
You might find that the back side of your current panel is black. They are always one color on a side and another on the other side. Good luck.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #530

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Went out this weekend and rebuilt my entry steps.

The electric Kwikee steps had a loose bolt. Made them a bit springy. Had to remove the interior step framing to access the bolts.
All 4 bolts were rusted tight, and on top of that, they are stove bolts. No heads to put a wrench on.

Ended up shimming the loose bolt from the inside with steel plate. Added some insulation to the floor and set off to rebuild the stairs.

I rebuilt the one step with 2x framing on the side and back, screwed to the vertical plywood box. Put a 2x4, thin side up, across the front and braced it with vertical 2x4's.
1/4" luan up the front and a piece inside on the bottom. Carpet stapled on the front, like before. Rubber treads back down and aluminum nosings back in place. Screws for the top tread nosing are a bit long and "bite" into the 2x4 to hold it in place.

I now have a 10" deep, 10" wide by 26" long secret compartment.

Planning to and small 1/4" quarter round at the back of each tread to finish it off.

Pictures of the top tread open and closed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2041314214.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	40142   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2102012977.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	40143  

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #531

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

If the panels are in good condition.
Sand them with 220 sand paper and then spray them with a black appliance paint.
2 tricks. 1 spray them 45 deg off of the vertical axis and the second coat 90 degrees off the first. That reduces the chance of your eyes picking up any lines. Let the paint harden for a day or 2. Take 400 grit paper and lightly sand the finish. Take your panels and lay them flat to the ground and at about 2 times the recommended distance on the can you spray the final coat.
The catch is it needs to be a 60-70 degree day and medium humidity so the paint does not flash dry.
The paint lays down on the panel and gives you a factory looking finish.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #532

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

We didn't replace the panel, we replaced the door due to a broken hinge. Ours was a Norcold 1200 but maybe the procedure is the same. The end of the door is easily removed and the panel just slides out. In our case Winnebago made the Cherry panel so you may be able to buy other colors from your manufacturer. If it is a flat panel it would be interesting to see what is on the back side. Kind of neat if it was black.

The fridge is now a residential so if a 1200 would fit I have a deal for you
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs