Originally Posted by charliej
. Any tips on the process? That's on my to-do list
It's not too difficult, the hardest part was getting the screws out to remove the complete window cover box trim thingy (sorry, don't know what the real name of it is)...
Keep in mind, this is a 2008 Revolution and yours maybe different.
- I removed the window cover with the day/night blinds intact as they attach to this window box.
- Removed the day/night shades.
- The trim piece I changed color is held on by scews from the back side and possible some staples at the back edges. Remove them.
- I laid the piece on the table and cut the new material to oversize.
- Sprayed 3M Adhesive (outside) on both the trim piece and back side of the material.
- Let both pieces dry until real tacky (10 mins).
- Carefully lay the trim piece on the material and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Wrap material around the back side and secure with a staple gun. I use a Arrow brand staple gun I got at Home Depot.
- You will need to make "relief" cuts at corners and curved areas to fit the material without kinks or wrinkles.
- Reassemble with the screws. The staples that held the ends, I did not need to use.
- Reinstall the window shades to the window box.
- Reinstall window box to wall.
- The biggest hassle or trick is to prevent getting glue on the "clean" side of the material when your handling everything.
- We got our material from JoAnns Fabric store. They are everywhere, all over the US.
I also took the opportunity to replace the cords in the day/night shades. I've had some break recently so I just replaced them all as I did the window trim change.