Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #827

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Home phone in the RV... there is a low cost solution

Not sure how many know this information. I need good and inexpensive phone communications while I am traveling for extended periods. The answer came from my local AT&T rep (I believe other carriers may have it also). At our brick and stick we dropped the land line two years ago and replaced it with the AT&T home cell service. Cost dropped to $20 per month unlimited calls and North America long distance. The good news is I unplug my control box from the house, plug it into 110V power in the motorhome purchase an inexpensive phone from the local discount store and I have my home phone anywhere we travel. The phone works anywhere there is a cell signal (so far everywhere) as the control box has a better antenna and option of external antenna. I save my regular cell phone for use as a hotspot for data and walk around phone use. Not bad for the same $20 a month I was already spending.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #828

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool!! Isn't it nice when we find a way to use what we already have more efficiently!?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #829

Thor Owners Club
So the control box is a portable unit which your cell phone provider gave you? And this Box does what?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #830

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The box from the carrier is a cell phone tranciever (cell phone with no screen or keys) with a 110V power supply, external (duck type) antenna and a jack to plug in a traditional home phone. The "module" is really a high power cell phone that you need to plug a phone into. This unit serves as the connection to the phone company and is wireless other than wired. You can see an example at: AT&T Wireless Home Phone
In short the box replaces the phone line.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #831

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Cool!! Isn't it nice when we find a way to use what we already have more efficiently!?

You have to love it when a plan that you didn't even have comes together.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #832

Ford Super Duty Owner
I moved drivers seat back!

Problem with some Damon products and probably others is drivers seat fore/aft location. A. Seat won't slide back far enough to stand for exiting without bending knees or taking time to rotate seat. B. When we wanted to rotate seat 180 degrees for TV viewing or being social - it was a major project as seat arm would hit steering wheel. C. When seat was facing rear it would only recline a few inches before seatback hit the steering wheel. Our solution - cut seat post and offset seat on post by almost three inches. We got real fancy and welded a plate on both seat tubes and used bolts rather than welding so if we ever wanted to put it back to original position - just remove bolts and reinstall in the other set of holes. Now we can stand to exit, rotate seat with ease, seatback will recline a lot more for naps and we can still slide it forward enough to drive in our normal positions. Also it will now be easy for another mod - small removeable table between the seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8010002.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	74178  
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #833

I'm gonna have to try that in my daybreak!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #834

Moving the seat back

It's amazing how 3" can make such a big difference!

Dave
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #835
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck,

A question...why modify the seat pedestal vs. simply moving the 4 mount bolt holes on the floor?

Thanks for sharing your mods
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #836

Electronic ignition for RV stoves

The "snap" or Piezo type ignition on my Magic Chef stove irritated me as it always required several snaps to start the burner. I just don't like that type of noise. I finally figured out how to install an electronic ignition like I have on stove in my home. I still have to push a separate button (it's not integrated into the gas valve like my Maytag) but it's quiet and works every time.

If anyone is interested, I'll put together a complete kit (ignitor, wiring etc.) with instructions and a drilling template for the button. The Magic Chef stove is the same as Whrilpool or Amana. It might fit the Suburban and Atwood stoves too. Send me a PM.

Dave
07 Rev 40E
Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #837

It would be interesting to see how you did it.

1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Chuck,

A question...why modify the seat pedestal vs. simply moving the 4 mount bolt holes on the floor?

I think most or all class A mh have the seat pedestal mounted to a steal plate welded to the frame. The plate has nut plates for the pedisal bolts welded in.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #839

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Chuck,

Welding vs drilling more holes in floor seemed like the best way especially if it didn't work out as planned. Also the carpet would have been a problem if we had moved the whole thing back. Given success we had I might drill vs weld next time.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #840
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to confuse, Chuck and Dave...didn't mean moving the bolt holes IN the floor, but moving the holes of the mount base plate at the floor.

If that puts 2 of the holes beyond the edge of the original pedestal base plate, then an extension plate could be added to the base...even possibly doubling the thickness of the base plate...increasing the strength.

If doubling the base plate, then carrage bolts in the 4 original holes could tie the new plate to the old base plate...no welding and easy to return to OEM.

As for the carpet...my carpet goes all the way under the pedestal base, then Damon carpeted the pedestal too. Had to remove it once due to a stuck rotator plate.

Just wondering...this is a really good idea. My Damon has the same tight fit as Chuck describes for the drivers chair when reversed. The limiting factor for our coach is the slide wall when closed behind the drivers seat.

Safe mods

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs