Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #841

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
New Water/Sewer Entrance:

We have a 1998 Overland Larado 42' DP with 1 slide.
Gray and black tank drains are at the bottom, tee'd together near the center of the wet bay. Drain hole for 3" slinky is under drain pipe, but won't allow the hose fitting to fit thru it.

I wanted a quick and easy hook-up for the water/sewer that can be protected from freezing and be able to keep the wet bay protected from outside temps. After a little searching and figuring, I came up with a lockable access hatch with an enclosed back. The "box" coupled with some 3/4" reinforced clear hose and a few garden hose fittings turned my idea into reality. Heat tape and insulation will keep outside hoses from freezing.

First I reloacted the macerator to the rear edge of the bay. Made for a cleaner look and created space. It was a simple twist of the drain piping, but one I hadn't thought of until seeing pictures from Pigman1 and Virago-Rider in the "Septic" thread. Thanks guys!

Now for the access box install. Panel loose and rotated up. Measured the location 5 times. Marked it with tape, drilled holes in corners and used a Dremmel and cut-off wheel to cut out the panel for the box. Marked the spots for my holes and used a 1" spade bit to drill the 2 holes. Marked the holes on the RV wood wall panel and drilled the 2 holes into the bay. Put my new box in the cut hole, took a can of Great Stuff and sprayed around the sides of the new access box, on the fiberglass panel. Rotated panel onto the RV, bolting it in place.

Ran a 3/4" hose thru the bottom hole. A female hose bib on the onboard end, screwed onto the macerator outlet, hose cut to length, a male hose bib on the outboard end.

Sat the water softener in place. A 90 elbow to replace the straight connection to the water valve allowed the new hose to be shaped in a "U" to make the connection. Made that hose piece, hose bibs on and screwed into place.

Ran a 3/4" hose thru the upper hole to the top of the water softener. A male hose bib on the end and installed a quick-connect to the hose and the water softener. Cut to length and a male hose bib on the outboard end.

So you know:
The upper hose is fresh water in and is set up to accept a male hose end.
That is a normal hose run from a water spigot.
The lower hose is gray/black water out and is set up to accept a female hose end.
That means only a hose to drain will go on. Fresh water hose won't screw on.
Thus there is an in and an out.

Hooked up the fresh water hose and the sewer drain hose.
Turned the water on and opened the gray tank valve.
Closed the wet bay door, stepped back and took a picture.

We now have a clean, factory-looking water/sewer connection AND the wet bay door is closed and weather tight!

When we take off to travel, just unhook hoses, put plastic plug/cap in the outboard ends and close the hatch. It locks closed.

This project took 2 days to complete. After holes were drilled, the new access box was painted blue to match the lower RV color, cleared and buffed over night. I removed the lid for painting and ease of installation.

There is extra room in the box. I might add in cable/cat5 connections later.

(1) Wet bay before.
(2) Macerator relocated.
(3) Hole cut.
(4) Box (unpainted) in.
(5) Water softener installed.
(6) Cleaned up bay.
(7) Finished exterior connection (no lid)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BayBefore.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	74731   Click image for larger version

Name:	MacerIn.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	74732  

Name:	BoxHole.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	74733   Click image for larger version

Name:	BoxInHole.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	74734  

Name:	SoftenerIn.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	74735   Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanBay.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	74736  

Name:	FinalWater.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	74737  

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #842

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
BTW, I put the black hose on to the black tank cleaner for the first picture, to show the complete original system.

Don't flame me for not having a backflow preventer on it. There is typically one installed.

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #843

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
BTW, I put the black hose on to the black tank cleaner for the first picture, to show the complete original system.

Don't flame me for not having a backflow preventer on it. There is typically one installed.
No flames from me. Super neat upgrade. Nice work. Besides the CG should have the backflow preventer on the spigot.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #844

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Sorry to confuse, Chuck and Dave...didn't mean moving the bolt holes IN the floor, but moving the holes of the mount base plate at the floor.
And now there are THREE ways to get same results - drill new holes in floor, cut seat tube and offset and add longer base plate. In our case cutting seat tube was only option do to base plate being at rear edge/end of carpet.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #845

Converter/charger upgrade

After replacing my single 12V battery with dual 6V batteries and much reading, I decided to replace my WFCO 8955 converter with a PowerMax Boondocker PM4B-55 circuit board from bestconverter.com. This is a direct replacement for the WFCO, but is 4 stage instead of 3 stage and more modern voltage output.
I disconnected the 120 volt, turned off the 120 circuit breakers and removed the positive cable from the battery bank. After looking at the WFCO, I decided that the best bet was to remove the 2 screws holding it in, pull it out and then swap the wires either singly or in pairs. Before swapping wires, I tried to insert the PM4B and it seemed to be blocked. Turns out one of the blades that needs to slide into a slot at the rear was bent so I straightened with pliers and it slid right in. The wires on the PM were on opposite sides from the WFCO and a ground wire was on the AC side instead of the DC side. I started with the heavy AC pair as they were the easiest to get to, but difficult to run behind the DC fuse panel. Needle nose pliers, a flat blade screw driver and a few four-lettered words were all it took to get them in place and screwed down. I then did the DC pair and the common ground, routing them the same way they came out.
With my heart pounding, I plugged in the AC, connected the positive battery cable and flipped the circuit breakers on. The screech of a detector coming on just about sent me through the roof, but the microwave clock was on, a 120 light worked and the 12v stuff all worked.
I checked the volt meter and it read about 14.7 for 10 minutes, dropped to 13.6 for a few hours and then down to 13.2 float mode. Mission accomplished!
I would suggest a before photo before removing wires so you can be sure where they were connected, but doing one at a time works as well.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #846

Washer Dryer Combo

We are thinking of adding a washer dryer combo. I was wondering if people think it's an advantage. We aren't full timing yet. Hubby is more interested in adding it than I am. But was wondering if those that have a washer/dryer thinks it worth it. Would love people's opinions. I haven't a clue. I guess it's more convenient. And I haven't been to a laundromat in years, so haven't a clue what it cost to do laundry.
We did fix the steps in our 5th wheel toy hauler. They were so steep and with a bad knee wasn't working too well So we did improve those.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #847

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since we use our rv at our kid's swim meets, we use our dryer a lot to dry towels. Otherwise, we wouldn't use it on short weekends.

We absolutely love them for the week-long trips though! Cuts down on the packing volume, and let's face it, everyone has their favorite pair of jeans that they might want to wear again, and again...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #848
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While we've never used one, I've heard many complaints about the combination washer/dryer taking an eternity to do a load. We have the stacked washer and dryer and being full timers, wouldn't be without them.

If I was equipping an RV for just weekends, or even the occasional week or two of vacation, I'd not be concerned if a washer/dryer were not part of the equation, but for longer trips or full timing, the washer and dryer are a must for us. Beats baby sitting your wash at the local laundry mat, which of course will always be in the best of neighborhoods. We also found that many campground laundry facilities were not the best equipment, or the best maintained.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #849

Washer Dryer combo

Yes I was talking about full timing. I heard they do take forever but we barely have room for the combo. So that's what we have to go with. I would think it would go faster with the stack-able as well. Thanks for your input. I need a lot more convincing. Hubby's the once convinced. I'm the one that does the laundry LOL But it does make sense. And I can imagine what the campgrounds charge for using their washers and dryers.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblers View Post
We are thinking of adding a washer dryer combo. I was wondering if people think it's an advantage. We aren't full timing yet. Hubby is more interested in adding it than I am. But was wondering if those that have a washer/dryer thinks it worth it. Would love people's opinions. I haven't a clue. I guess it's more convenient. And I haven't been to a laundromat in years, so haven't a clue what it cost to do laundry.
We did fix the steps in our 5th wheel toy hauler. They were so steep and with a bad knee wasn't working too well So we did improve those.
Ever use a laundromat washer and ruin your stuff? Ever wonder what was washed in that laundromat washer? Get the washer-dryer combo!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblers View Post

We only do weekends and a week several times a year. The combo unit takes a very long time to run and the wife is always worried about it running when we are not there and does not like the noise when sleeping. This winter I'm removing it an converting the space for storage. The space for storage is more important than the washer dryer. If we are gone for extended period we will be at a campground that will have washer dryer and we will be able to complete everything in a short amount of time.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #852

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Problem with some Damon products and probably others is drivers seat fore/aft location. A. Seat won't slide back far enough to stand for exiting without bending knees or taking time to rotate seat. B. When we wanted to rotate seat 180 degrees for TV viewing or being social - it was a major project as seat arm would hit steering wheel. C. When seat was facing rear it would only recline a few inches before seatback hit the steering wheel. Our solution - cut seat post and offset seat on post by almost three inches. We got real fancy and welded a plate on both seat tubes and used bolts rather than welding so if we ever wanted to put it back to original position - just remove bolts and reinstall in the other set of holes. Now we can stand to exit, rotate seat with ease, seatback will recline a lot more for naps and we can still slide it forward enough to drive in our normal positions. Also it will now be easy for another mod - small removeable table between the seats.
I wish I could find one with more adjustment. I am 5'7" (with short legs) and wife is 5'4" and we can barely reach gas pedal with seat all the way up so we find ourselves leaning forward or sitting on the edge of the seat to drive and that will take it out of you.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #853

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
You know what I love about irv2. Everyone is so ice and willing to help. No one gets cocky when complimented for help with troubleshooting or for how awesome their mods are. Thank you all for your kindness to this newbie and all the half witted quest is I ask.
And they don't treat you like a dummy when you ask a dumb question.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #854

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocdlw View Post
I referring to the Flexsteel furniture (dinette and jack knife sofa) that come in the Newmars. I'm looking at purchasing a used rig and know that I will eventually want to replace those items.
I am looking to get rid of the sleeper sofa and get a jack knife. When we open the sleeper sofa it blocks the exit and is in the way of the coffee pot . I am always the first one up so I have to climb over it and wake everyone else up .

Tags
rvs