Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblers View Post
I know of an upgrade we would like to figure out. A ramp for the dogs. We have one but it's almost impossible to use when you have to go down the stairs and they have to use the ramp. Need to find a sturdy ramp to hold dogs and person at the same time yet easily foldable for storage. Or find one goes along the side of the steps. We have to figure something out. We have 3 dogs. Little dogs but bending over gets old real quick.
We purchased a Solvit Dog Ramp for our aging Rottie. Arthritis made it nearly impossible to get her up the stairs. The ramp is 17" wide so I am able to angle it from the top step giving good access to the 1st 2 steps and almost 9" on the top step. This allows us to get up the steps relatively easy while our dog can us the ramp. Didn't have a good picture from the side to show the angle and room at the top, but it works well enough to leave in place and still use the steps. You'll find that most dog ramps will have a disclaimer stating only for animal use. Ours is rated for 400 lbs, so in theory you should be able to walk up it, but I have never tried. What I have found is the rated strength of the unit makes it very stable and at no risk of tilting even with the outside edge of the ramp on the edge of the top step. The unit telescopes down to 39" and fits in the storage under our bed.

2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison - 2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBSWE
BassinDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #884

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinDmax View Post
We purchased a Solvit Dog Ramp for our aging Rottie. Arthritis made it nearly impossible to get her up the stairs. The ramp is 17" wide so I am able to angle it from the top step giving good access to the 1st 2 steps and almost 9" on the top step. This allows us to get up the steps relatively easy while our dog can us the ramp. Didn't have a good picture from the side to show the angle and room at the top, but it works well enough to leave in place and still use the steps. You'll find that most dog ramps will have a disclaimer stating only for animal use. Ours is rated for 400 lbs, so in theory you should be able to walk up it, but I have never tried. What I have found is the rated strength of the unit makes it very stable and at no risk of tilting even with the outside edge of the ramp on the edge of the top step. The unit telescopes down to 39" and fits in the storage under our bed.
We bought a pet ramp from Pet Gear a couple of years ago to get our 14 (or so) year old rescue Bernese Mtn. mix into the SUV. It folds in three and is plastic but plenty tough enough for her 70lbs. Now we use it every day to get her in and out of the MH. At first she tried to go around it but now won't even try to go in or out without it. Our younger English Shepherd doesn't need it but now he zips up it. The things we do for our dogs huh?

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #885

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of weeks ago my furnace quit firing. It would blow but not fire. Turns out that dust on the fan blades reduced the air flow enough to keep the flow paddle switch from making contact, thus not allowing gas to flow to the burner. In pulling things apart i noticed that there is no intake filter...hum?

So, I bought some Filtreete filter fabric, cut a piece to fit the intake and screwed it behind the louvers. Should preserve the blower and be easy to clean. Much easier than dismantling the furnace to clean the fan.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #886

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A while ago the FIL made me a New Rack/shelf To replace the little one on the Dog/House.
I have to wait for spring to Finish.
I'm going to use Teak Oil to finish.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	87675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	87676  

Name:	IMG_1907_1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	87677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	87678  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #887

Dog Ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We bought a pet ramp from Pet Gear a couple of years ago to get our 14 (or so) year old rescue Bernese Mtn. mix into the SUV. It folds in three and is plastic but plenty tough enough for her 70lbs. Now we use it every day to get her in and out of the MH. At first she tried to go around it but now won't even try to go in or out without it. Our younger English Shepherd doesn't need it but now he zips up it. The things we do for our dogs huh?
I bought a ramp for our little dogs but ours isn't that stable. says it's rated for 250 but I don't weigh near that and I wouldn't try it. Need to look for a better one. We found it difficult to get the dogs up and down the ramp while we try to go down the steps. We need a better plan. That isn't working.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #888

Spritz - Nice work!

Dave
Old 04-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #889

Yes, agree 100%! Mods not specific to one type of motor home, just a general forum for decorating, storage solutions, etc
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #890

My 1st Solar Install

Two Renogy 100w panels on fiver to a Solar 30 controller via the gray tank vent. I can easily add one or two more panels if needed or desired.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #891

1st problem with my solar install is that the Solar30 is only showing .3 to .5 amps coming from the panels which should be more like 7 to 10 amps. I did have an MC4 on the roof that was very difficult to connect with the branch cable and still didn't seat fully. Could that be the issue? Should I use dielectric grease on those? Can an MC4 be easily replaced if it is faulty? Five of the 6 MC4s connected as expected, but that one just didn't want to receive the male and once it finally did would not seat fully. It is on the 20' 10AWG coming from the controller so I really don't want to replace the cable.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #892

I don't like that I can't edit a recent post. I may not have a problem as I was looking at the results of a fully charged battery bank while connected to shore power. I didn't realize that affects the amps shown coming from the panels. Looks like I need to turn off shore power and run the bank down somewhat, then check at high noon on a sunny day.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #893

Likely so.

But first check charging voltage as it will confirm your thoughts.

If 13.5 or so it is in the happy place for the battery for both volts and amps.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Likely so.

But first check charging voltage as it will confirm your thoughts.

If 13.5 or so it is in the happy place for the battery for both volts and amps.
YEP, that's it. If you are at float voltage then the controller is going to limit the current. If you want to check the full sun current flow, then draw the batteries down a bunch (technical term) and wait till high noon. The voltage should creep slowly up to about 14.4 and then after an bit of time drop suddenly to the 13.X float point. My Gel cells float at 13.3, but 13.7 is in the range of acceptable float voltage.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #895

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Latest upgrade is a new backsplash DH just finished installing in our Lexington 283GTS.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431389545.080980.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	94028

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
YEP, that's it. If you are at float voltage then the controller is going to limit the current. If you want to check the full sun current flow, then draw the batteries down a bunch (technical term) and wait till high noon. The voltage should creep slowly up to about 14.4 and then after an bit of time drop suddenly to the 13.X float point. My Gel cells float at 13.3, but 13.7 is in the range of acceptable float voltage.
The Solar30 is a single setting controller ($30 off eBay) with a default of 13.8. I've had suggestions to set it about 13.5 on shore power and 14.2 - 14.5 while dry camping and let it float at night.

Tags
rvs