Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #897

Ordered LED BULBS and STRIP to change out all the bulbs in our Surveyor 302. Dtrip is for under yhe awning of course!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The Solar30 is a single setting controller ($30 off eBay) with a default of 13.8. I've had suggestions to set it about 13.5 on shore power and 14.2 - 14.5 while dry camping and let it float at night.
I never thought about setting the solar to float at night. Great idea
My panels and mounts are quite heavy, will they be able to float?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #899

Changing from florescent to LED's

My wife never cared for the florescent lighting in the coach and I have always liked the 4 1/2" round LED's in the newer models. Searching e..y I found a batch of 20 for $100; a real steal. When I took the florescent fixture down a series of lines remained on the vinyl ceiling material caused by the ribbing in the lamp housing. I came up with the solution of covering the area between the two LED's lamps with a piece of aluminum covered with matching vinyl. It also allowed me to hide the wires between the pair of LED's without having to make a path in the bead foam insulation (which is not very easy to do). I had hoped to be able to control the LED's brightness with the same dimmer they use in the new coaches as it is the on/off switch and dimmer combined. But, the dimmer requires a dedicated ground and my coach is wired with a general ground so the only wire at the existing switch is the 12 volt. The solution was to have a switch at each pair of LED's that allows full brightness, off, and 50% dimmed (not shown in the pics below). I still have the wall switch to control all the LED's on circuit. Overall, I like the change (and so does the wife) but they were not as easy to install as I had hoped. The color temperature of the light is 3000K and is much warmer than the florescent fixtures. These are installed in the rear bath.

Dave
07 Revolution 40E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	98680   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	98681  

Old 06-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #900

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's a very creative and nice looking solution Dave.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #901

Awesome lighting

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #902

RV Step

It seems I always get the RV sites with too much slope to them and have to use an additional step to aid getting into and out of my coach. Last year I made a wood box and screwed a mat on top to make it look a little nicer. But, it's always the wrong height and no matter how many shims I put under it, it rocks or is tilted. I've looked at several very nice steps that cost about $100 and have adjustable legs. None of them have enough adjustment in the legs to keep them from rocking. So, here is my take on an RV step. It is made of aluminum with a rubber mat glued to the top surface. With the legs retracted, it is 4" tall. The legs are 1/2" carriage bolts with a neat adjustment feature that allows them to slide quickly to position by loosening the thumb screw two turns. When you reach the correct height, tighten the thumb screw 1 turn. By adjusting two at a time you can arrive at the perfect height very quickly. They just drop down until they hit the ground, no matter how uneven the surface. Now finish tightening any 3 thumb screws. The 4th you turn the 1/2 bolt on its thread to eliminate the rocking and then lock that one down. I have two sets of bolts. The short ones are good for a 7" high step and the long ones are good to 9" high. I can change all 4 from low to high in 30 seconds. For soft sand I'll get some hockey pucks to keep bolt heads from sinking in. The step is shown with the longer legs.

Dave
07 Rev 40E
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Step.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	99006   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Step 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	99007  

Name:	RV Step 3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	99008  
Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #903

Nice work!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #904

Awesome! I bet you could sell those.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #905
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great workmanship, I like it and the idea a lot, but I'm wondering about those carriage bolts sinking into soft ground.

Typically when we need an auxiliary step because of an off level site it's not a paved pad. I think it would be perfect with maybe a large body washer or circle of steel welded to the heads of those bolts.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #906

That looks like a real nice step and a lot of work.

But...

The heads and shafts are both weak points that may hurt you.

Heads may sink into whatever they are placed on and the bolt could buckle.

The threads are natural stress points and if you land just right you may have a bad ride.

However there is a solution that could be used without too much change.

Walkers and bath benches have adjustable feet made from very good aluminum tubing and they also have wide rubber feet.

We have a stool in the shop that has bamboo seat and 4 feet that are maybe 2 inches across that works great in the dirt.

Your step is aluminum and the feet are telescopic so cutting outer tube and welding in would be simple.

Drilling peg holes in legs or using screw to hold would be your choice.

Again that step looks fantastic with those nice welds.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #907

RV Step

Tony,

See my comments below:

The heads and shafts are both weak points that may hurt you.
I worked in the NASCAR business and they use 1/2" bolts to support a 3500# car while they are being weighed. These adjusters were developed for the scale platforms to speed setting the platforms to the correct height. The guys even work under the car while supported by the scale platforms. These adjusters are way over designed even for a 300# person (I'm 175#)

Heads may sink into whatever they are placed on and the bolt could buckle.
That's what the hockey pucks are for (see original post). They are about 3 1/2" in diameter. If the ground is that soft it can't exert any load on the bolt.

The threads are natural stress points and if you land just right you may have a bad ride.
There would be a stress point if the bolt was in bending. These bolts are in compression and no where near the yield limit at any rate.

We have a stool in the shop that has bamboo seat and 4 feet that are maybe 2 inches across that works great in the dirt.
Hockey pucks are 3 1/2" across.

Drilling peg holes in legs or using screw to hold would be your choice.
The problem with peg holes are they lack a fine adjustment to eliminate rocking. A 1/2" threaded bolt is infinitely adjustable.

Again that step looks fantastic with those nice welds.[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

Dave
BSME U of M, 1972
Go Blue!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #908
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ahh, hockey pucks. I did miss that. They're great for a number of things. I used them years ago to make new hood/windshield blocks for an old (1946) Jeep I was restoring. I've also used them as the raw material to make various hard rubber stops or guides for various projects. Of course they were easy to find in Wisconsin.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #909

No problem with holding weight.

My concern is when landing on the steps the game force causes lots more than your standing weight to be on the steps.

If not straight down there may be some bending stresses.

But if grade 5 and up used it may be fine.

Hockey pucks prevent digging...did not notice them.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #910
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most recent mod... 5 Star Tune!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs