Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #1065

Freightliner Owners Club
I removed the carpet and vinyl throughout the coach. My Winegard MV-35 wasn't working properly and being a discontinued model, I couldn't get any parts. So I replaced it with a Roadtrip Mission in motion satellite. I added a tv to the galley area, and moved the tv in the bedroom from inside to outside the cabinet. Now I have more storage space. Very happy with my modifications. Next is replace the mattress in my couch bed. Any suggestions are welcome! Happy Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood Floor 4.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	125922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor bathroom.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	125923  

Name:	bedroom tv.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	125924   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley tv.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	125925  

Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #1066

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
I removed the carpet and vinyl throughout the coach. My Winegard MV-35 wasn't working properly and being a discontinued model, I couldn't get any parts. So I replaced it with a Roadtrip Mission in motion satellite. I added a tv to the galley area, and moved the tv in the bedroom from inside to outside the cabinet. Now I have more storage space. Very happy with my modifications. Next is replace the mattress in my couch bed. Any suggestions are welcome! Happy Travels
How do you have a mattress in your couch bed? Isn't it just a fold out lumpy sectional? I need to get some sort of rolled up foam pad for mine.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #1067

Awesome update Ghostman!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #1068

Beautiful ghostman!

I also need to do something about my Flex Steel fold out sleeper. It has a bar that sticks in your back even with two layers of thick foam.
Have wondered about putting a thin air mattress over top.

And I hate the adjacent Villa J sofa. The J part just sticks out and obstructs movement when slides are in when on the road, and is utterly useless and uncomfortable to try to get comfy in that position. Would have much rather had two sleeper sofas. Bars and all.

I believe this is close to what I have now. Leather with microfiber inserts.

Flexsteel 4320 Easy Bed

Stock image
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flex steel sofa.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	125993  
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #1069

Our couch is also a pullout sofa sleeper, I added a memory foam topper and I also cut a couple pieces of 3/8" OSB into approx 16"-18" strips that fit under the mattress do you don't feel the bars. It also all folds up nicely just as original.
Makes the sofa sleeper actually pretty comfy.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #1070

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is a sleeper sofa. Folds out to a queen side bed. It has an air mattress with an electric pump. It is actually very comfortable. I was surprised.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #1071

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
How do you have a mattress in your couch bed? Isn't it just a fold out lumpy sectional? I need to get some sort of rolled up foam pad for mine.

It's a sleeper sofa with a mattress. I want to replace it, or may do as others have mentioned and add a foam topper. As for the master bedroom I'm just going to measure the mattress and go to a local mattress store and try and find one that fits.

My next big project is replacing the dinette with a booth for more sleeping room.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #1072

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
I like the flooring
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtime View Post
Is anyone aware of the Regulation to stop us from living in our RV,S?

We have till the 11th of April to give our conversation concerns!
Please go to www. Regulation.gov and read FR 5877-P-01.
We must try to stop this!!!!
It's a manufacturer classification and labeling regulation, nothing to do with stopping anyone from living in their RV full time.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #1074

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdalzell1 View Post
Expanded the capabilities of my new smart lights to where them and the HVAC are all controlled by voice via an Amazon Echo device. Wish I could call it the name of my trailer so it is more personal given I'm talking to my house but control is as simple as 'Alexa, turn on the living room lights,' or 'Alexa, dim nightstand lamp to 30%' or 'Alexa, turn the Air conditioning off'
My DD and SIL have one and "she" is great for giving current time and weather info, but they are both geeks and love those sorta toys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #1075

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Costco sells 3" memory foam mattress toppers that will greatly improve any bed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #1076

I added the Echo because it integrates with LIFX (the maker of my smart lights) and Wemo (smart outlets) and because I watch a lot of Star Trek and wanted that computer for decades!

I also have Iris by Lowe's but it is used mainly to automate and works silently in the background (it allows me to control the air and heat and even check on my dog visually while away via remote camera link) and is often used for security.

The lights are just individual bulbs that fit in any standard Edison fitting (the 12v stuff was ripped out years ago from another project) and they connect to wifi and are controlled via app, like Hue but without a hub being required. Originally I bought the bulbs because Iris depends on a hub and often goes offline meaning my lights wouldn't come on at night and the app wouldn't work so I'd be in the dark troubleshooting for hours. The new bulbs work independent of that and hardly ever have issues. There's 9 of them and it's not likely all 9 will go out.
Nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #1077

Thermostat Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdalzell1 View Post
I also have Iris by Lowe's but it is used mainly to automate and works silently in the background (it allows me to control the air and heat and even check on my dog visually while away via remote camera link) and is often used for security.
Nick, I searched your posts for one about your mod regarding the thermostat being automated. Would you elaborate for me please on what equipment you used and how you set it up?

I want remote control of mine, and looked at the Ecobee3, which I have at home and like. But wasn't sure since some people said it could work even though current system is 12 volt, and residential thermostats are 24 volt. Plus I would need two for both zones.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #1078

I don't know about modern campers but the ducted Duo-Therm air conditioning unit in my 1995 Sportsmen's is a standard 24V unit for that. I don't use propane or the furnace and have Iris set to turn electric in wall heaters on if a contact sensor falls below a certain temp.

I replaced the original thermostat with the one in the Iris kit, it's a radio thermostat that pairs to the system, and is controlled via the Iris app on your phone.

I can't speak for the likes of EcoBee (intended for zoned systems or homes with more than one HVAC) or Nest since my system isn't compatible (I only have one system, and Nest requires a C wire)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-05-06-06-44-25.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	126213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160506_064716.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	126214  

Nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags