RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #1163
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks a million for the procedure details and pics!! I was wondering if it was sprayed, I almost said it looks like poured resin. From my studies on this forum I believe I've come to the conclusion that Meguair's must be the best stuff. The products really brought out the gloss after sanding.
Great work!

Regards,
W.D.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #1164

Gulf Streamers Club
GT, thank you for the details. Very informative and helpful. I usually go to Meguair's also for their range of products and overall quality. I have had mixed results with Helmsman Spar Urethane. Slow drying time with dust getting into finish. Like you, I do not have a paint booth. Not enough room in shop. Really like the wet sanding results you had. Where do you get your sanding sheets in that fine a grit? Again, great job.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #1165

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Thanks a million for the procedure details and pics!! I was wondering if it was sprayed, I almost said it looks like poured resin. From my studies on this forum I believe I've come to the conclusion that Meguair's must be the best stuff. The products really brought out the gloss after sanding.
Great work!

Regards,
W.D.
Thank you for the kind words. And you are most welcome! I guess I enjoy a challenge or a puzzle every now and then. I am very thankful to a friend in the body shop industry who is a very knowledgeable and talented body shop owner. Through the years, he has given me wonderful information as how to keep the finish on my vehicles looking like new and really protecting them.

The passing of knowledge from one to another is what is so great about these forums. It saves all of us such a great amount of time and money. I love to learn from others, and if I can pass along a tip or trick to someone else, that is great in my book.

You are so right about Meguair's, and although there are other products out there, for my use, I have not been disappointed with them. Luckily, there is a couple of good auto parts store in my area that cater to the body shop industry, a NAPA Auto Parts store and a Federated Auto Parts store. They keep the Mirror Glaze professional products which are wonderful, and have plenty of the different grits in the Wet or Dry papers.

I have used sponge brushes with liquid varnish and had good results, but this time, I felt that even though it might have been a bit more expensive, I wanted to try my hand at the rattle can method. Since the table would lay flat on my Work Mate, I was not too concerned about runs. If there were any on the edges of the table, I figured I could sand them out. The MinWax spray cans had a nice nozzle, and it sprayed fairly evenly.

Take good care!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #1166

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
GT, thank you for the details. Very informative and helpful. I usually go to Meguair's also for their range of products and overall quality. I have had mixed results with Helmsman Spar Urethane. Slow drying time with dust getting into finish. Like you, I do not have a paint booth. Not enough room in shop. Really like the wet sanding results you had. Where do you get your sanding sheets in that fine a grit? Again, great job.

ronspradley
Thanks so much, Ron! And you are so right about the slow drying time of the Helmsman. I could smell the solvent evaporating out of the table every day when I'd walk into the garage after work. It was strongest on Monday evening, and very much less on Friday evening. Saturday, I had to get my nose close to the surface to smell it, so I figured it was ready for wet sanding and polishing.

I got these 3M papers and Mirror Glaze products from a couple of auto parts stores we have who cater to body shops, NAPA and Federated Auto Parts. If you ask around at your favorite haunt, they may be able to get it for you.

With the 800 grit, it began to smooth out the orange peel and level the surface. 1500 grit really started to take out any scratches and really smooth the surface. The 3000 grit started to put a sheen back on the surface after I would rinse it off and dry it with a towel. That way I could tell where I needed a bit more wet sanding.

Take good care!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #1167

Winnebago Owners Club
The final result

Here's what the table looks like after re-installing it in our Forza.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_153347.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	158712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_153403.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	158713  

Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #1168
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
That is just fantastic, but I repeat myself!

Best Regards,
W.D.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
My latest mod is ramp to get my ATV over the tool box and off the tailgate.....so I can remove the tailate....so I can take the ATV and the bumper pull travel trailer. Dad-gum shortbed son-of-a- *#$&$&

Last night I raised it up off the tool box. Tonight, I'll add some expanded metal for tractions and some safety tie down points and paint.
We used to just stand them up on the rear wheels
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #1170

Winnebago Owners Club
Tackling Bathroom Lighting

Tackling another mod this week, trying to get another item on my list completed. The wife has been disappointed with the lighting in the bath when getting her makeup completed. So, I was challenged to improve it without making things so obtrusive. In tight spaces that can be a daunting task.

I obtained some LED strip lighting in a 15m roll, rated for natural light at 4100K. Seems to be about right as the warm white 3200K LEDs are too yellow, and the regular LED strips at 5000K are too blue. These lights would become indirect lighting both over and under the medicine cabinet, and over the storage cabinets to the left over the toilet.

The biggest challenge (at first) was trying to find a suitable LED strip light with diffuser which would 1.) be narrow enough to fit beside and between the mirrored doors of the medicine cabinet, and 2.) these lights must provide just the right amount soft lighting to the face to eliminate those pesky shadows.

Next, it took a while to trace the wiring to find out which ones to splice to for power, and for ground. Not finding a ground wire behind the sink area nor where the wall switches are, I went hunting for one. The only nearby ground wire I could easily find was a white wire (taped together with a yellow wire) which was under the bed and ran to the passenger side closet floor and disappeared there. I spliced off of that white wire and ran a black ground wire beside the wire looms under the floor and up into the area behind the cold air return grille.

Using a coat hanger, I fished the ground wire up the wall and out of the hole in the wall where the switches mount. I found that the top wire on the light switch was the constant (+) power wire, and the bottom wire on the light switch fed the lights in the ceiling of the bathroom.

If you look closely at one of the pictures, you’ll notice a single switch mounted in the wall to the right of the original fan/light switch. I chose that area for the indirect LED light switch to make it easy to find a light switch when coming into a dark bathroom. I keep turning on the ceiling exhaust fan when I enter instead of the lights, (RATS!!!).

I tapped on the wall to see if it was hollow in that area, and it sounded like it was, so I didn’t investigate it further. BIG mistake! Behind that area of the wallboard there is a piece of the framing wood glued to the wall board on both sides. I found that out when trying to use a razor knife to cut through the 3/16” plywood wall board. I cut through the wallboard all the way around where I marked to install the new switch, but it wouldn’t come off. So I drilled around my cut very carefully with a ¼” drill bit, trying not to penetrate through the other side damaging the wall in the hallway! I finally ended up using a Dremel tool and a drywall routing bit to cut the opening into the pine framing. It was difficult trying to nibble some of the wood out of the hole with pliers. I used the Dremel to finish routing the area clean so the switch would fit, and although it took a while, but an hour later, it was done.

I’m still in the middle of this project, as is most evident in the pictures. In one of the pictures you can barely see the LED COB strip light beside the mirrored door of the medicine cabinet. I mounted one on each side of the right mirrored door. I had to be careful not to get the right one too close to the door, as it will open onto the light when the door opens, damaging either the light or the mirror. More to come as I get to it....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170427_214506.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	159893   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_214527.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	159894  

Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #1171

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Tackling another mod this week, trying to get another item on my list completed. The wife has been disappointed with the lighting in the bath when getting her makeup completed. So, I was challenged to improve it without making things so obtrusive. In tight spaces that can be a daunting task.
I see Winnebago still likes yellow wires.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #1172

Winnebago Owners Club
Yellow wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I see Winnebago still likes yellow wires.
They sure do! I found a whole bunch of them!

Here's the finished product. Indirect LEDs above and below, and COB strip LEDs beside the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170429_160011.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	160215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_160103.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	160216  

Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #1173

Forest River Owners Club
Looks nice
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #1174
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mighty neat. Great job!!

Regards,
W.D.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #1175
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Tailgate package Mod

Here's a link to a thread I'd like to share about my "outdoor kitchen" mod I completed recently.

Class A Diesel Outdoor Kitchen Mod

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #1176

Forest River Owners Club
Where is the link

BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs