Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #1205

Backup camera upgrade

I have wanted to replace that old B&W Sony backup camera for some time. Well it finally died. I purchased a system from Rear View Safety including the flush mount frame. The frame size was just enough to fit the opening. Glued frame/monitor in place with silicone (Required some wood shims both top and bottom to stabilize). The original camera was housed in that Winnebago housing which allowed little adjustment. Removed the housing and traced pattern on a piece of 1/4" Black Acrylic. Cut out and finished the edges and mounted the new camera on the plate. The plate/camera now mounts where the original housing was using the same holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_133647.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	164955   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_134453.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	164956  

JLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #1206

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I have wanted to replace that old B&W Sony backup camera for some time. Well it finally died. I purchased a system from Rear View Safety including the flush mount frame. The frame size was just enough to fit the opening. Glued frame/monitor in place with silicone (Required some wood shims both top and bottom to stabilize). The original camera was housed in that Winnebago housing which allowed little adjustment. Removed the housing and traced pattern on a piece of 1/4" Black Acrylic. Cut out and finished the edges and mounted the new camera on the plate. The plate/camera now mounts where the original housing was using the same holes.
I would love to convert to color. Were you able to use the same A/V cabling or did you have to run new cable?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #1207

Very nice!! It's on my list - can't see much on my old B&W - the image on that one looks sharp.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #1208

Backup Camera

I ran new wiring. Very easy to drop down behind the rear cap. Secured to other wiring (with wire ties) along frame rail and up into cab area. Instrument cluster is hinged to lift up exposing everything behind it. Hardest part was removing the thumb screws (4) holding the old Sony.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #1209

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Hi
Looks great. So, what are you going to do with the old B & W system?
Kchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #1210

Backup Camera

Since the old camera did not work, I disposed of both camera and monitor. New cameras are not compatible with the old Sony monitor.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #1211

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Awesome job! Very professional!
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #1212

Building "new" adjustable brackets/supports for my solar panels. We bought the unit "used" and the previous owner designed the supports for the panels either flat or only one angle. I wanted infinitely (or nearly so ) angular adjustment,for different seasons and different latitudes!
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #1213

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
New cameras are not compatible with the old Sony monitor.
This is my problem with Sony. Our rear Sony camera quit. Replacements are $325 The Sony units run on 7.2 volts. Whoever heard of such a thing when every vehicle today is 12V. The end plugs are of course Sony proprietary design.

What we found was the monitor has an aux connection that uses a normal RCA type video plug. I cut the ends of the cable and put on normal video plugs, bought a camera for about $30 and fed it 12V. When you use the turn signal the side view cameras over ride the aux and they still work normally.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #1214

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Bathroom Tile

I just finished replacing bathroom carpet around the toilet with tile. I used R&R Silicone tile adhesive and silicone grout -- not a typo -- and couldn't be more pleased. I'm not a pro, just an avid DIY'er, this was the easiest tile install I have ever done. My wife has some glass/stone mosaic picked out for a decorative upgrade in the kitchen and bathroom -- I will definitely use this product again.

You can check out product and installation video's at Flextile.com.
I was told this product was used to adhere tile to the fiberglass exterior of an RV, then driven FL to CA and back in 2016 and, a year later, all tiles are still intact.

mg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toilet_Tile.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	166841  
mgambalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #1215

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambalie View Post
I just finished replacing bathroom carpet around the toilet with tile. I used R&R Silicone tile adhesive and silicone grout -- not a typo -- and couldn't be more pleased. I'm not a pro, just an avid DIY'er, this was the easiest tile install I have ever done. My wife has some glass/stone mosaic picked out for a decorative upgrade in the kitchen and bathroom -- I will definitely use this product again.

You can check out product and installation video's at Flextile.com.
I was told this product was used to adhere tile to the fiberglass exterior of an RV, then driven FL to CA and back in 2016 and, a year later, all tiles are still intact.

mg
Looks super! That should help a lot of people who want real tile and not simulated tile in their RV! Awesome.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #1216

Ford Super Duty Owner
just watched all cool stuff but did not see any prices ? can you tell us
the cost thanks
Old 07-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #1217

Monaco Owners Club
Chrome Trim Replacement

The chrome style trim across the front of our Monaco had completely come apart and looked ugly. The trim is flexible with a rubber interior and is attached to the surface with adhesive strips top and bottom the length of the trim. It can be removed with a little patience by using plastic trim removal tools pictured below (Harbor Freight $9.00) or plastic putty knife, along with assistance from WD40 or 3M Adhesive Remover.

Found 12' 40mm chrome trim molding on EBay from several sources for about $20. Cowles Chrome trim molding is another brand found on Amazon and also sold at several auto parts stores. The trim I used (pictured below) is similar to the original chrome trim molding installed by Monaco except it is not quite as thick and about 4mm narrower.

Remove the old trim, clean the surface of the adhesive residue, cut and apply the new trim. Trim can be cut with a box cutter with new blade and straight edge. Use masking tape to mark the location and guide for a straight application as the trim molding is flexible. Pull the backing off of the adhesive for an inch on each end, position the new trim piece in place and then pull the backing from behind the trim as you apply pressure. There are several helpful videos on YouTube demonstrating auto trim installation.

See pictures below of the project from start to finish. (click on image for larger view)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	167325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	167326  

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	167332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	167333  

Name:	_12_005.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	167334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	167335  

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	167336  

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #1218

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just changed out the bedside receptacle for one with USB charging outlets as well. Probably doesn't meet code as I had to modify a residential old work box to use by cutting off the back side of the box as it was too deep to fit inside the wall cavity. I'm comfortable with it that way however.
jt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outlet.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	167404  
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs