Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #183

great mods I like that battery disconnect would that
work for my 5th wheel battery?
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #184

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Thanks......got tired of opening the hood to disconnect the battery with the blade switch.....especially when I had my Kayak tied down off the front bumper.....so I found a latching relay with a remote switch on the net.....and it was an easy install. The nice thing ....it requires NO power to hold the relay open/closed......just a quick 12V shot to operate it in either mode.....no battery draw.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #185

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilva View Post
can u tell me where u got the camera. Mine is not working, also do u think i can use the old cam wires ?

thanks dave silva
1. In former life I owned electronic security co. so such stuff usually came at cost plus a little. Depending on your ability - buy a kit or individual parts. Ebay and Amazon good places to shop. Havn't priced parts lately but I am quite sure you could find 7 inch lcd monitor, decent color camera and wire for under $100.
2. Re Not working, more info. might help - bad or no picture, power at both ends?
3. Probably can use wire. But older kits use video wire/coax to send power to camera so you would need new 12V power at camera. Look at camera and if only one 3/16 or so wire going into camera, you most likely have an older one.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #186

National RV Owners Club
Steering Wheel Table

I know someone else thought of it, but here is how it worked for us.

We bought a decorative table at Wal-Mart for about $8
Walmart.com: Mainstays 20" Round Decorative Table: Furniture

and some broom clips for about $4.
Buy the Hindley 24210 Broom Clip/B115 at Hardware World

I moved the table leg connections to avoid the steering wheel spokes and cut down the legs of the table so they were the right length to make the table level, since the steering wheel is at an angle even in the up position.

I widened the clip size to fit over the steering wheel handles and lined it with foam so it wouldn't scratch it.

We now have another horizontal surface to accumulate junk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	17479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	17480  

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	17481  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #187

National RV Owners Club
Folding shelf/table

One mod that has really worked out well for us was adding folding shelves to the walls next to our chairs. We had removed the sofas and replaced them with his and hers recliners with matching ottomans. That opened up the wall space for an extra table above the ottomans.

We bought two cherry shelves for about $5.50 each at Home Depot
10 in. x 24 in. Cherry Shelf-FG4B7700CHERRY

a piano hinge for about $9
1-1/2 x 30 in. Continuous Hinge Bright Brass Finish-15172

and two spring leaf support for about $16 each.
Drop Leaf Table Support

She had room for a 2' shelf so it whet in without alteration. Mine could only be 14" wide so I had to cut it down. The piano hinge was long enough that I cut it into two parts - 2/3 for her table and 1/3 for mine. The hard part was figuring out where the screws went for the drop leaf support. After lots of measuring I ended up using trial and error. "Measure twice and drill three times."

Now we have an extra shelf next to our chairs, and they fold down for travel!
Another horizontal surface!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	17486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	17487  

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	17488  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
1. In former life I owned electronic security co. so such stuff usually came at cost plus a little. Depending on your ability - buy a kit or individual parts. Ebay and Amazon good places to shop. Havn't priced parts lately but I am quite sure you could find 7 inch lcd monitor, decent color camera and wire for under $100.
2. Re Not working, more info. might help - bad or no picture, power at both ends?
3. Probably can use wire. But older kits use video wire/coax to send power to camera so you would need new 12V power at camera. Look at camera and if only one 3/16 or so wire going into camera, you most likely have an older one.

thanks for ur reply. don't know much bout electronics,I am just trying to beat the $1000 price for a new system that the maker of the brand thats in there now quoted me. So i will look into Ebay n see what they have to offer. again thanks dave silva
dsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #189
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Great Idea! 2x2's I hadn't thought of. Thanks!
Cut a 1 inch hole and you don't need a handle.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #190

replaced rv light in kitchen with 24 led I and the DW thinks
it looks much better then the rv light that comes in every
trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1290091.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	17496   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290093.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	17497  

Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #191

Just put in a remote changeover indicator for the propane tanks
don't have to check the tank to see if it's empty light will flash
in side trailer then I know one tank is empty good to know when
Winter camping use a lot of propane don't have to worry about
running out
first pic is indicator on top of regulator valve second is remote light in trailer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1290104.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	17517   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290102.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	17518  

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #192

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Cut a piece of plywood a little bigger then the stairwell, fasten 2x2s around the perimeter far enough in to fit snugly in the well and carpet if you prefer.

Thanks everyone! Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-01-29_12-48-05_350.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	17527   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-29_12-46-30_991.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	17528  

Name:	2012-01-29_12-43-25_239.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	17529  
Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #193

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Ours has a filler block, thought it was lost until we cleaned the carpet.

Will try to describe the installation, ours is built from the factory so it is covered in carpet, since this is "new" to the coach then you could use Oak to make it look factory and real nice.

Open the door and look from the outside.

At the floor level you will need to place a "trim" board, say a 1 x 2 of Oak or other material around the edge of the vertical walls of the stair well.

Just visualize it for now.

Measure the width of the HOLE, in other words, the distance between the 2 sides of the stair well and the distance from the closed door to the edge of the floor.

Cut a pattern from cardboard, test fit to make sure the door closes, adjust as needed.

Next, you will need to build the filler step, this can be of whatever material you like, it is dependent on the covering.

Only thing is do NOT use MDF or particle board.

Most Home centers sell 1/2 and 1/4 sheet materials, and they can cut those as well.

If you use 3/4 plywood and the width is not too wide it will not require cross bracing, only the plywood, if you select 1 1/8 subfloor it is rated for 48 inch span, work with the store to insure the ply material you select is rated for span greater than the width of the stairwell, this is standard data supplied by the plywood manufacturer, or at the APA web page.

Select your material and covering, have the store cut it if you do not have the tools to do so.

Next go to the trim or hardwoods area.

You can either use standard 1x material which is squae on all edges, or look in the moulding department for a real wood trim that is suitable to use as a support for your filler.

Have them cut to fit the hole, mind the corners, depending on how you place them the dimensions will vary, you can fit them on top of your filler panel to insure they are correct lengths.

Apply whatever finish you desire to the trim so it will dry while you work on the filler.

If you are applying a covering to your filler do it next, as the supports need to be placed to have the floor flush.

Next measure the thickness of the filler, place the supports in place and attach with only minimal fasteners so you can test fit everything.

It needs to be flush wiht the floor and the door needs to close fully.

Adjust as needed.

Once you are satisfied with the fit add screws to complete the installation, either putty the holes, or use brass screws and space them acordingly.

OPTION
Go to someplace that has pet supplies, locate a nylon lightweight leash of a matching color.

Attach it to the outside edge near the door of the filler.

Hang the loop on the doorknob.

When you wish to exit simply grab the leash from the doorknob and pull up the filler, then grab the filler and set it aside.

Our coach only has a single step inside, so the filler panel rests on the top of the bottom or entry step, so we did not even know it was there.

If you have more than one step this may not be possible.

Your instructions are almost exactly what I built! Thanks so much!

I am going to look at that option too!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #194

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Thanks everyone! Here it is!
I am going to put another handle on the inside of the coach, I initially didnt want to because I didnt want any kids or people tripping over the handle, but it is too much of a headache to pick it up on the left handle, then pickup the inside edge where the 2 x 2 is underneath and lift the unit, slide it back, then use the handle. I raised the fire extinguisher so I could just slide it in place and I didnt want the handle on the other side because the handrail is there and it interferes with the insetting of the cover.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #195

Looks Great

Nice looking cover. Do you have any pictures of the underside?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #196

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could you put a piano hinge on one side and then lift the panel with the leash, allowing it to self store out of the way?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs