Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Moisture on roof in cabinet

Looking at purchasing a 2011, 4324, Dutch Star. Really like it but find moisture on ceiling, (padded Vinyl) inside cabinets with mold. Looks like condensation, but lots of it. Evident of a leak. This only on passenger forward slide. Is it possible to dry out inside ceiling frame, and kill mold inside cabinet. Do you think mold is in inside framework also. Would this be a deal killer or can I fix it?
ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Won't be condensation, not on a Dutch Star, has to be a leak. Check the wall panel in the cabinet to see if it's wet/mushy.
We passed on several good looking rigs (not Newmars) due to roof leaks. We had two DSDP's and never had any problems, but I did get on the roof every 6 months and check/reseal as needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure its a leak. Been sitting on the lot with slides out for 8 months. This particular slide has no leaf guard, because one would interfere with the large awning overhead. Im thinking patch the roof overhead and dry out with air circulation if possible. the walls appear fine. Coach was un-level so area of concern is about 6 feet of a 18 foot slide-out.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #4

This is what I have to fix if I get it...
https://youtu.be/nbiiy75YxgA
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, the roof sealant doesn't look good, but the interior could be fixed without too much trouble from what I see since the damage is confined to the inside the cabinets. Would need new ceiling material, wall board material and shelf material. Newmar should have the stuff you need but shipping could be a problem. For me it would be hard to access due to neck surgery but not impossible. Once the ceiling and wall material is out you can replace the insulation. No damage to the wall from the cabinet to the window? That would be my big worry. Newmar uses aluminum "studs" so they won't be damaged. If the wall is OK between the cabinets and window then make a low offer and see what they say.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Thanks Mr.D..
Really appreciate the help. I agree with all your advice, and encouragement. I'm really anxious to dig into it. By the way, I have enjoyed your post and advice thru the years on this website. You and many other regulars are a great asset to IRV2. Think I'm gonna tackle it. Others please chime in also. I'm all ears..
Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ka5gyo,

If you buy this rig and do the repairs. Please make sure you wear a mask while working on that cabinet. Mold can kill you if you inhale it into your lungs. Make sure it is completely ventilated, all windows opened and vents turned on. You cannot have enough ventilation and respiratory protection for this.

If you can find an "Ozone" machine to rent for a week it would take all smells out if there are any left when you tear it apart and repair it. It looks like it leaked for a while and was stored and left to grow. Good luck.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

If it is on the lot then either walk or deal HARD!

Assuming this is "the one" then drag the highest level manager out to investigate.

There is water getting in and the path needs confirmation.

If slide seal then it should be obvious.

Get an inspection camera from harbor freight so yiu can look in the gap.

Get some estimates for PROPER repair and use that as leverage.

And lastly get a written warranty backed not by the dealer but an independent provider.

Many sources so determine which one then get that included in the deal.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the easiest way to fix the cabinet problem is to completely take the affected cabinets out and rebuild them entirely with new material as required.

It looks like the facing could be salvaged and the interior replaced. You may be able to find suitable replacement material locally and save the costs of shipping.

Take the cabinet apart carefully so you can use the pieces as templates for the replacement material.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mold is hard to totally get rid of since it's between the structural roof and the padded ceiling. Everyone has a tolerance for this kind of thing, mine is zero--I'd be moving on to another coach.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

IF a business would allow and show a coach in this condition there is no way I could or would do business with them. Period.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ka5gyo"......Sometimes, when looking for something like a used RV, you start to give up after seeing nothing but junk. You then start looking at something like this coach, which may be pristine, other than the mold, and you think......this is a great coach....I can fix this issue.

As much as you might like this coach, I would pass on it. "djbmsu" brings up a good point. What responsible dealer would show a coach in this condition or even leave the slides out for months. After watching your video, that is some of the worse mold I've seen in a long time.

I'm not one of those guys that gets all wrapped wound around the axle about mold, but I certainly wouldn't invest in something that had that kind of a mold issue. In a house, it's drywall and wood, easily repaired and remediated. Unless you're willing to basically remove that slide, disassemble the walls and cabinets, you'll never stop that mold. Even if you can treat it and kill it, you'll never know if you got it all or what water damage was done to the interior structure you can't see.

What's your HEALTH and peace of mind worth? Keep looking, the right one will come along.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And valid points made about not getting it and fixing it.

I looked at several rigs that had water damage and I wasn't willing to go any further but the leaks were in the main roof, not a slide.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #14

After looking at the video I wouldn't advise purchasing this unit. There's too much damage and probably lots more that you can't see. There are plenty of others our there to consider.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, moisture