Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Monaco DP quality

My quest to find as much info as I can about DP coaches has me wondering about the Monaco DP reputation and how they compare to Newmar, Tiffin and perhaps the Winnebago Tour.

Specifically the Monaco Knight which I believe is their entry level DP and the Monaco Diplomat, one step above the Knight.

I don't know much about the Winnebago lineup, but a salesman told me the Tour is 2nd only to the Grand Tour in their lineup.

Comments please on the above coaches. Again looking for opinions on how they compare on quality of build and reputation.

Thanks
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
My quest to find as much info as I can about DP coaches has me wondering about the Monaco DP reputation and how they compare to Newmar, Tiffin and perhaps the Winnebago Tour.

Specifically the Monaco Knight which I believe is their entry level DP and the Monaco Diplomat, one step above the Knight.

I don't know much about the Winnebago lineup, but a salesman told me the Tour is 2nd only to the Grand Tour in their lineup.

Comments please on the above coaches. Again looking for opinions on how they compare on quality of build and reputation.

Thanks

Any specific range of years? The Knight received a significant upgrade in '05 when it was moved to Monaco's very successful 8 airbag chassis. Generally speaking Monaco coaches are very well built. I consider Monaco & Newmar to be quality of build equals.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There's not much out there that we would be willing to trade our Monaco Windsor for!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Thanks Steve, I should have been more specific. I'm looking at '06 to '09 in the 37 to 40' range, below $110,000.

In the Monaco line either the Diplomat or the Knight. I'm not familiar with the Windsor, maybe Joe can enlighten me on that.

Newmar either the Dutch Star or Kountry Star. Newmar also made a Dutch Aire, don't know much about that one.

Tiffin, probably all DP models except the Zepher, which is probably out of my price range.

Trying to get an idea if all three of these builders are considered somewhat equal in quality and reputation.
Both sold
Old 05-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

While above the one you listed, we love our Dynasty. In the end of a 3 year search its really the only brand we seriously considered.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #6

Bought ours when Monaco was part of Navistar before ARG. The best part is the Roadmaster 10 bag chassis and the true Monaco/HR cabnetry.
Get that chassis and you'll be glad you did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343s.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	128008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2345s.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	128009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354s.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	128010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342s.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	128011  

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
GDawgs' rig looks very similar to our 2012 Endeavor 43 DFT. Like others have commented - we're pretty happy with the overall quality of the coach.

We've had what I would consider to be 3 relatively minor issues since taking possess roughly 14 months / 8K miles ago. Those were a thermostat problem with the Aquahot - that once properly identified was easily fixed, entry step issues (a broken shoulder bolt, followed by a broken mounting tab on the motor housing) and finally a rock damage control sensor and solenoid that are part of the air ride system (whose repair will hopefully be completed tomorrow!).

Slides, plumbing and electrical have all been fine, fit and finish have been fine ... as has our overall satisfaction with the qualify of interior amenities.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:33 AM   #8

Thanks Norman, how do you like the bath in the rear?
Both sold
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thanks Norman, how do you like the bath in the rear?
We like it. Plenty of space - even with two people moving around in it. Nice big "his and her's" medicine cabinets, lots of under sink storage. Good size shower. Plenty of space around the throne. Nice mirrors (on the sliding doors of the rear closet). Floor stays dry when showering without much effort.

We also like HR's use of "pocket doors" throughout the interior of the coach. We tend to leave everything open when it's just the two of us - and like that we have the option without having to deal with "doors" bring in the way.

Only downside is that you've got to climb over the bed to get to the rear bath when the slides are closed. Mid-ship half bath is always accessible. We're finding the accessibility with the slides closed issue to be very minor.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, quality