Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #15

Set up all your bills on AutoPay via your checking account or a separate credit card and you don't have to worry about paying them on time. We use another separate credit card just in case it's compromised by retailers for everything else, down to small purchases of nuts and bolts at the hardware. $100 in cash lasts us many months.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #16

Good advice above. I would add if you were in the military then open an account with USAA. They reimburse your ATM fees. We carry some cash for emergencies. Had the rig heater quit when it was freezing and found a mobile mechanic who was available at night but only dealt in cash. But in 8 years that's the only time we needed cash and I could have easily gone to an ATM to get some green stuff. I do carry a check book for those federal and state campgrounds that do not take CC.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 01-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #17

$100 in fake shave cream can in bathroom
$100 in truck lower console safe
$100 in my pocket
$100 in GFs pocket book

Plastic for most all purchases......auto pay on-line banking
ALERTS set up for notification of each and every use ---swipe/phone/on-line

Replenish cash if necessary.....cash back at Walmart/Grocery Store etc.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #18

We are just the opposite from everyone we pay cash for everything and neither of us have or know how to use a ATM. We do use are CCs for online purchases.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #19

Even though I carry several different cards......I always have cash tucked away. I've been in situations where it really saved my bacon. One of those was in an area where a guy with a backhoe hit a phone line which knocked out all electronic card machines for several miles.

I guess I'm not too trusting of our gov. system because I always have a few thousand dollars just in case some terrorist blows something up and I need to get home to my family. Also, most debit cards won't cover large purchases unless you up your limits (which I've done). It real easy to use up $10,000 on repairs.

Besides, cash is a good negotiation tool if you need to get some extra help from a friendly tow truck driver.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many of the coaches come with a safe and if they don't, it's pretty easy to add a small Sentry safe by bolting it into a cupboard. We keep paper copies of all our credit cards, drivers licenses, medical cards and even Passports in the safe. We also will stash some cash there for an emergency. It's also a good idea to take a photo of your important documents, like your DL or Passport and keep them loaded on your phone.

Someone briefly mentioned another good point. We use the Capitol One card for all of our purchases except fuel. We use the PenFed card for fuel. Both credit card companies issued us different card numbers on our cards. If my Capitol One card is compromised, her Capitol One card is still good. Most card companies are doing this, but some are still behind the times.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually a few to several hundred in cash. Just in case needed. Additional cash via Walmart if Bank of America not handy.

PenFed card for fuel - 5%. Chase Southwest Airlines card for everything else, to include many automatic/recurring payments - airline points. Bank of America cash back card for times the physical card is out of my hands (such as a restaurant).

ATM - have not used in years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We are just the opposite from everyone we pay cash for everything and neither of us have or know how to use a ATM. We do use are CCs for online purchases.
You should look into rewards cards. We used to do everything cash and when we were telling my S-I-L about it, in 5 minutes she showed us where we would have gotten back better then $200.

Capital One is 1 1/2% on all purchases, Chase is 5% on quarterly specials and Bank of America is 3% on groceries and 2% on fuel (or vicey-vercey). One quarter Chase gives back 5% on fuel, I can't remember if it's 2nd or 3rd - another quarter it's 5% on groceries. When that fuel quarter is coming up we really plan our fuel and gas buying so we come into that quarter with all our tanks near empty. Some truck stops charge more for cc sales but we just don't go there, Gas Buddy has been a great help. It's not winning the lottery, but I consider it free money. Also we always pay the bill at the end of the billing cycle, why give them interest when we are "working" them

Four dollars per gallon of fuel, times ninety gallons, times five percent is eighteen bucks. FREE And you can buy the fuel anywhere.

I never thought I'd be advertising for banks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
ATM Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
We have credit cards and ATM card, but bank with local credit union, so don't know how far out the free ATM usage will extend. How do you determine which ATM's charge a fee?
We also use a credit union account for all of our vacation/travel money. If you go online to your credit union website, you should be able to search for Fee Free ATMs to use. Just enter your location (where you think you'll be) and they will locate them all for you. An alternative if you have a smartphone is to download their app, if you haven't already. That also maps out ATMs that are fee free for you. I think you'll be surprised at how many there are. We don't ever use a debit card, even though we have it. Just CC and cash. Paying online for bills is really the best way (either autopay or set it up as an online payment), whether you're traveling or not. IMO.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your credit union should belong to ALLPOINT. This give you ATM access to 1000's of ATM locations. Some examples are all Walgreens, CVSs, 7-11s, Kmart's, Target and 100's of others. Also ATMs in Canada. Mexico, UK, Australia and Puerto Rico. FREE

Allpoint - Surcharge-Free ATM Network

We charge most transactions but for cash we stop at a CVS or Walgreens ATM.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you go out of state be aware your credit card company may stop payments to every body unless you call them and tell them you are traveling.

Also be aware ATM machines can "Rob" you. Had a Credit Union one in a mall take me for $200. It issued a recipe but no money. On a holiday of course. I went to the credit union two days later when they were letting employees in before opening and asked them for my money. They said "Are you a member here?" No. "Go see your bank" the replied and closed the door. Rude. And it was their ATM machine!

Went to my bank and it took two weeks to get the money credited back to my account.

So now we always get cash back at stores as we shop.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #26

Carolina Campers
Be sure to let your bank know where you will be.
Also fair warning, if you go to Canada, take cash OR use a credit card. Most US debit cards aren't allowed.

We have two accounts, one a local bank and the other is USAA. When we went for three weeks, we let both know our route so they would not close us down on odd seeming charges. Most of it was debit card but when we crossed into Canada, we had to find a bank and use their ATM to be able to use our debit card. And only the USAA one worked for that.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #27

Safe on board with cash in it. Also opened a Wells Fargo acct so we have access to cash anywhere we go. Our main acct is with a credit union, but we keep enough money in Wells Fargo acct we can pull from debit card or cash a check.

However, we normally do every purchase with Capital One card and earn miles. But as posted earlier, not every campground we have stayed at takes a credit card. We have also ate at some local eateries that took cash only.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If you go out of state be aware your credit card company may stop payments to every body unless you call them and tell them you are traveling.

Also be aware ATM machines can "Rob" you. Had a Credit Union one in a mall take me for $200. It issued a recipe but no money. On a holiday of course. I went to the credit union two days later when they were letting employees in before opening and asked them for my money. They said "Are you a member here?" No. "Go see your bank" the replied and closed the door. Rude. And it was their ATM machine!

Went to my bank and it took two weeks to get the money credited back to my account.

So now we always get cash back at stores as we shop.
So how many times have you used an ATM where you haven't been "robbed"??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote