Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
So how many times have you used an ATM where you haven't been "robbed"??
Probably several hundred. Very rare occurrence I'm sure.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use both a traditional bank, which I'm keeping due to a couple of services my Credit union does not YET offer

And a Credit union.

IN MOST areas there are multiple Credit unions and you run about a 50/50 on finding a FREE ATM. (not all are) sometimes you need to shop or ask (Online search tools) to find one.

you are only about 10% likely to find a Bank ATM you cna use for free. if, that is, your bank offers them. (not all do)

But I've found free Credit Union ATM in all but one parking area so far, alas, that's the one I'm in now (S.E. GA) and to be honest I've not searched that far... Another fact:

Some stores: If you ask for "Cash back" when using the debit card, Charge,,,,, some do not... Alas, once again I can not tell you which is which. But that's how I'm getting cash here. The local CU charges. the local Grocery does not.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #31
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Same for us. We use credit cards for everything from fuel and groceries down to an ice cream at Dairy Queen. I maybe hit an ATM two or three times a year, and if it charges a fee, so be it, part of the cost of being mobile.
If I can't afford an ATM fee I'd better stay home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If I can't afford an ATM fee I'd better stay home.

Agreed!!!! USAA - no fees!
Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ
2016 Ford F-350 DRW -- Retired 2002 F-350 DRW
cashmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #33
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
Agreed!!!! USAA - no fees!
Actually not totally true...
Copyright 2016 USAA.

Note 1 USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other United States domestic banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals. Subsequent transactions will be charged $2.00 each. Transactions at ATMs located outside of the United States may not be eligible for ATM usage fee refunds. A 1% foreign transaction fee applies to withdrawals outside the United States. No ATM usage fees will be charged at USAA Preferred ATMs pursuant to an agreement with the ATM network/owners to not charge an ATM fee for USAA Bank ATM Debit cards.
2001 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852
Me, Husband, Desi & Lucy [Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix]
We leave the feline contingent at home.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #34
95% of the time, everything goes on the CC, but I never leave on a trip without $100 in misc small bills and a min of one $100 bill for emergencies or getting a better price on a tank of gas by forking over the greenbacks. Unless you lose your wallet, it doesn't cost anything to carry cash, and it saves me money quite frequently. Look into whether or not your bank or CU is part of an ATM network, and therefore free ATM use any thousands of locations. I have been VERY happy with Capital One 360 online checking/savings accounts (Formerly ING). Accounts are free and the savings accounts even give some interest. (It's not much, but it's multiple times better than Wells Fargo, B of A, etc) I deposits checks using smartphone mobile app, and get unlimited, free Atm use on the 'AllPoint' network, available in every Walgreens, CVS, and much more. These stores are more numerous and convenient than WalMart cash back with $50 limit. When that cash starts to runs low, I look for a Staples and use their hi-tech color copy machine ;-))
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #35
While we're on the subject of money, I recommend that you and your spouse divide up which Credit/bank cards you will each carry. For example, my wife carries our MasterCard and our credit union ATM card. I carry our Discover card and our 360 ATM card. That way if one of our wallets get lost or stolen we only freeze those cards, and still have accounts to use while we sort it out.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #36
Monaco Owners Club
We use credit cards for most everything we purchase. We carry two different CCs - and try to split transactions between them. Both are set up so that we get text messages every time they get used. Bills and banking are all handled online. I do NOT use automatic bill payments - but instead prefer to actively manage the payments. I simply don't care for the idea of somebody else initiating the removal of money from my accounts (regardless of how convenient it might make things).

We do use cash as well. For the most part - we use it for the tiny stuff out of pocket spends (i.e., < $10 stuff, often at places that aren't really structured for processing CC transactions).

However, we do keep a few hundred hidden away "just in case". We've had a couple of instances over the years where something triggered a "fraud alert" that in turn locked up my credit card. We were in Toronto for a hockey tournament with my son's youth hockey team ... paying for the hotel triggered a "fraud alert" freeze on my credit card ... such that I couldn't use it to buy gas for the 300 mile drive home. It was a major inconvenience - not to mention quite embarrassing since I was unable to get it cleared up and the card restored for a few hours. As a result of that experience - I always keep a small stash of cash available as a just in case contingency.

When it's time to replenish the cash stash - we do it via ATM machines. We try to use ATMs that are part of our bank's ATM network (zero fees and higher withdrawal limits). If using an ATM on our bank's network isn't practical - we make a point to use an ATM at another bank. When it comes to ATMs - we NEVER use the little stand alone ATM machines like those found at gas stations, drug stores, etc. We prefer fewer large ATM transactions vs regularly hitting the ATM for $20, $30, $40... "sips".

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote