Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Money Access

Intend to take our first extended trip in the 5er, as soon as it warms up in the spring. DW raised a couple of good questions this AM - how much money do we need to take along, and how do we access money on the road? We have credit cards and ATM card, but bank with local credit union, so don't know how far out the free ATM usage will extend. How do you determine which ATM's charge a fee?

TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
In 9 years we carry very little cash. When we want it we stop by a Walmart, use our debit card. If we don't need anything then we pick up a pack of gum. If we need more than $100 then we either make 2 separate purchases, one with my card and one with Ron's. Or I split my purchases up so that they are totaled seperatly and get $100 on each total. All WalMarts, most grocery stores have cash back. If you have a debit card from your CU then ask them what network they are on for ATM. But honestly I think we've probable only used one of those a handful of times.

Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
We have very little cash on us ($50.00-$75.00 at most) as we use a CC for everything. We also don't use a ATM. When we need cash we shop at Walmart and get cash back.
Works fine for us. Note- sometimes we encounter a CG that doesn't take a CC, but they have always taken a personal check.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've taken several extended trips across the US and never had an issue. We use our debit card for most purchases, Visa credit card for major stuff, Good Sam/Pilot card for fuel purchases. Hardly ever use cash but we do bank at Wells Fargo and they have branches most everywhere we've been. We also have savings in a credit union money market checking and take that check book with us. If we ever needed access to that money, we would just write a check on that account and deposit it at any Wells Fargo.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same for us. We use credit cards for everything from fuel and groceries down to an ice cream at Dairy Queen. I maybe hit an ATM two or three times a year, and if it charges a fee, so be it, part of the cost of being mobile.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
I rarely have much cash regardless of where I am. Just about everywhere you go will take debit/credit cards or now smart phone payments. There are places that charge more if you use a card for purchases under a certain amount so perhaps keep some cash.

In regards to access to cash, while you are replenishing your food supply, get some free cash back at grocery stores, Walmart, or other stores.

I don't worry too much about ATM fees, others may. If I can't use my banks, spending a few bucks to get $100 is not going to make me lose any sleep.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Intend to take our first extended trip in the 5er, as soon as it warms up in the spring. DW raised a couple of good questions this AM - how much money do we need to take along, and how do we access money on the road? We have credit cards and ATM card, but bank with local credit union, so don't know how far out the free ATM usage will extend. How do you determine which ATM's charge a fee?
We've been full time since 2010 and carry very little cash. We still use a small town bank that we started using in 2000, but we rarely get back to that area. We always use a credit card unless it's a place that doesn't take them and that's rare. We have the pentagon federal credit card which gives you cash back so we use it pretty much exclusively and pay it off every month.
We probably carry a couple hundred and if it starts getting low Walmart will give you an extra hundred if you buy something, even as small as a soda, and most grocery stores will give you an extra 25-50 so carrying money just hasn't been an issue. Of course there's always the atm if you need anything larger.
I can't answer your question about atm and fees. We don't use them, but my guess is most, if not all, charge a fee.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can't remember the last time I used an ATM. About once every three or four months I may need to replenish the cash in my wallet, I use it VERY rarely. Like others have already said, most grocery stores, and certainly Walmart, will let you take cash when making a purchase.

These days 99.9% of businesses will take either a credit card or a debit card. There's little need to carry cash anymore.

Anyone else remember buying travelers checks before taking a trip?
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
I've been on an "extended trip" for the last 8 years and I carry very little cash. Like others I pay for almost everything with an ATM card. I use a national bank, but all transactions are automatic and electronic. I haven't been inside a physical bank for 5 years, and have never paid an ATM fee. For the small cash needs I get "cash back" when shopping in major stores.

Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
..... DW raised a couple of good questions this AM - how much money do we need to take along, and how do we access money on the road? .....
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
No sense in me posting my two cents as it would just be redundant, redundant.

Bob (RVM 27), Teffy, Kitty Kitty, - Full timeing during the summer
"Roughing It Smoothly" in a 1994 34' Allegro Bay DP
All of 190 horses but 11 MPG. 0 TO 60 in 62 sec.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
It looks as though I'm in the minority as I will carry a couple hundred Just In Case dollars along with a couple hundred more in a hidey hole in our 5er. I also avail myself of Walmart's cash back and every once in a while, spend a couple bucks for the fee and hit the ATM at some local bank. Our last long trip, we stayed in a couple CGs that didn't take a credit card so cash was handy. As far as admittance fees at national monuments, I use the now defunct Golden Age pass for free entry (there is a replacement card now, and it can save lots of dollars for its low cost). I carry a Discover cash back card as well as a MC and BAC, any of which are accepted almost everywhere. I can't justify an AMEX card cost any longer though.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable doing - cash or credit. If you are gone for over a month, you will also have to figure out how to pay home phone, home power, your cards, and whatever other monthly bills you have - and, luckily, most can be accessed via a computer
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Little different here. We use CC' s for most all spending. Then link to bank at billing time on line and pay the bill/bills. But there have been times when only cash will do, for that we always have enough to at the very least get home or to relatives. Some entertainment venues take only cash so do a number of self service camp grounds or there's always the cash is much cheaper than a CC. I have been on more than one occasion needed fuel and cash was the only option or spend the night until service(internet) was restore although there was power to pump. Then there's always the private purchase one just can not do without that cash is the only option. Only you can determine how much cash reserve is needed maybe a couple hundred maybe a couple thousand.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
I can validate everybody's comments about the requirement to have cash-on hand while on-the-road. DW and I started full-timing in July 2015. We each had $250 in our pocket. Today (1 January 2016), we still have most of it left ($300ish between the two of us). We actually paid for some groceries in cash the other day just to unload some of it! \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
My view is a little different. We use a CC for almost every purchase, including groceries. We get cash back or airline miles when using it. We typically only use our ATM card to make deposits and withdraw cash while at home.

When on a weekend trip, I'll have a couple hundred dollars with me. If were on a larger trip, two weeks or longer, I like to have $500.00 cash available for an emergency.. Even though I carry that extra cash, I can't think of a time that I needed it.

There are always exceptions. We leave for Quartzsite in two weeks and we often buy some flea market goodies. Most of the time it's cash only. On this 5 day trip we'll carry some extra cash.

With all that said, you won't have any issues with cash on your trips, as there are very FEW places that don't take a CC.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote