Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Easy can be very expensive. Some cities have sales tax of about 10% which would mean an extra $20,000 on top of a $200,000 DP coach.

And Texas has what seems to me a pretty mean law when you try to register an out of state vehicle. They require proof of how much sales tax you paid for the vehicle and if Texas sales tax is more, you have to pay them the difference. So if you paid zero sales tax for the coach you bought out of state, you have to pay Texas the full sales tax (as use tax) to register it there, even though no sale was made anywhere near Texas.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
After reading all of this I'm glad I paid the sales tax!
Me too since there is no income tax in WA and the vehicle licenses are low ($112 for our Magna) but the almost 10% sales/use tax can be a killer even if it's only on the difference between price of the units.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Easy can be very expensive. Some cities have sales tax of about 10% which would mean an extra $20,000 on top of a $200,000 DP coach.

And Texas has what seems to me a pretty mean law when you try to register an out of state vehicle. They require proof of how much sales tax you paid for the vehicle and if Texas sales tax is more, you have to pay them the difference. So if you paid zero sales tax for the coach you bought out of state, you have to pay Texas the full sales tax (as use tax) to register it there, even though no sale was made anywhere near Texas.
WA is pretty much the same, even the almost 10% sales/use tax. There used to be an exemption for RV's on out of state usage but not any more. They also go by value, and it's done by an outside valuation service that "tends" to be high.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #18

Anyone have experience (good or bad) having a FL domicile (only be in FL about 3 weeks a year) and using the Montana LLC? Should I also use the LLC for my Toad (2015 Jeep)? Or should I forget the LLC bite the bullet and pay the $10K sales tax? I own the RV and Jeep outright so financing is not a consideration but insurance could be.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #19

I was told by a guy in VA that one of the things that tip them off is Montana plates on coach and home state plates on car. I'm sure there are other reasons for this, but apparently that can be an indicator there is a tax avoidance.

In the storage facility where I keep my coach, there are Montana, Florida and Oklahoma plates on Motorhomes. I have chosen to bite the bullet and pay the county personal property tax each year to avoid any issues.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrihRed View Post
Anyone have experience (good or bad) having a FL domicile (only be in FL about 3 weeks a year) and using the Montana LLC? Should I also use the LLC for my Toad (2015 Jeep)? Or should I forget the LLC bite the bullet and pay the $10K sales tax? I own the RV and Jeep outright so financing is not a consideration but insurance could be.

Ron, I think Florida does have some unique features to their sales tax and residency laws that can allow for the purchase and not paying the sales tax. You might want to do a search on the Montana LLC's on here and see what you can find, but I do remember some postings about having the coach outside of Florida for a period of time which would legally avoid the Florida sales tax.

As you can see from these postings, every state is different. Some are very aggressive in pursuing sales tax and some are not. It all depends on the state and how badly they want money.....and most of them want money right now.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #21

The poster stating he rents from an out of state owner is maybe not in a good place.

Does not matter who owns it. But it does matter where it is parked or used.

Many states like Ca. Require registration if in state for more than 60 days or so.

Many national companies have headquarters in whatever state but vehicles owned are titled by state used.

If national companies could register as home state yiu would see many out of state att service trucks as an example.

The process maybe does not raise a flag but it could.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #22

Perhaps "easy" was the wrong word. All Govt. entities can make things difficult at times, particularly when we want to think about how it really is here in "the land of the free," which ain't so free, so to speak.

Regardless, someone mentioned cities taxing RVs at 10%. I did a quick google search and found a couple of cities with COMBINED state and local taxes of 10%, and several at more than 9%, but most are considerably less than that. Of course, when it comes out of one's own pocket it always seems onerous.

As stated, TX does require the difference in sales tax when you bring a vehicle into TX from another state that doesn't have as high a rate as TX. That seems wrong to me, also, but that's also true in many states.

The bottom line is for everyone to do their research and due diligence to ensure they are lawfully compliant wherever they domicile, and do what they can to avoid taxes (which is legal) rather than evading taxes (which is illegal). We physically moved to FL from VA to avoid their taxes. Well, not really, but our taxes are indeed lower, and our cost of living is slightly lower overall.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was around during this big sting in CO and it was not pretty. Involved owners and even the Dealers using the LLC as a sales tool. These folks lost far more than what they would have paid in taxes, not to mention cost of defense.

If your only reason for forming the LLC is to avoid taxes in your home state, or to "save money on taxes", your pretty much just fit the description of tax evasion. Full timers on the road are a different story, sort of. There are limitations on workcampers and full timers that spend a lot of time in a specific jurisdiction.

Colorado catches RV sales tax evaders

Massachusetts Goes After RV Tax Evaders | RV Business

RV owners who registered in Montana convicted for tax evasion – The Denver Post
Old 06-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #24

Wow! plenty of righteousness here, does everyone come to a "Full" stop at a stop sign...if you don't you have broken a Law!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are misdemeanors, and there are felonies. Stop signs and tax evasion.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
There are misdemeanors, and there are felonies. Stop signs and tax evasion.
Of course!
Old 06-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #27

I have had a Montana LLC for 5 years without any issues. I would not go the LLC route if you live in Washington State or Colorado. We use South Dakota for our mailing/legal address, but we travel fulltime no problem if it is done correctly.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I was told by a guy in VA that one of the things that tip them off is Montana plates on coach and home state plates on car. I'm sure there are other reasons for this, but apparently that can be an indicator there is a tax avoidance.
Tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not.

Tags
montana