Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #43

Lots of bum information in some of these responses. I used to be in the domicile/residence business, and I can tell you what I knew yesteryear ain't necessarily true today. And, many of these questions and statements should be prefaced with "generally," which is lawyer speak for "maybe" and "it depends."

For example: "If i own a house in a certain state and dont spend much time there..........." You can own real estate anywhere; ownership generally doesn't prove domicile. "......... spend my time in another state renting..........." If the majority of the time, and other connections are made in the rental state, that generally will be the legal domicile. "I can live anywhere i choose and still do my job." Absolutely correct.

"Your domicile is where your driver's license and insurances are based." Generally, yes. But, it's entirely possible a vehicle is garaged in a state where a person is not domiciled, and has to be registered and insured in the non-domicile state.

I'm not picking on the posters I quoted. Rather, I am encouraging anyone who wants to try to minimize the cost of RV ownership by using an LLC or other tax avoidance scheme ensure they have all their ducks in a row. If your FL tagged RV is sitting in your MA driveway 75% of the time, there's always going to be one nasty neighbor to do you in.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
FL tagged RV is sitting in your MA driveway 75% of the time, there's always going to be one nasty neighbor to do you in.
Not "nasty neighbor", just a "pissed neighbor" because you are taking a free ride on his dime!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #45

This thread is starting to sound like the old Abbott & Costello routine "Who's on First"? LOL

I used to volunteer with a group who did taxes for free for seniors at a local senior center (we were trained by AARP provided instructors). Trying to determine residency and what states got what taxes was one of the hardest sections of the tax law to understand. Many seniors had income from several different sources. Social Security, company retirement plans, investments and mineral rights in other states. The list goes on.

It seems the same issues apply to this thread.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #46

Much of what has been posted is tied to trying to over simplify what is a very complicated issue. If you are full timing then you need to do your research to find out which state will offer you the best for your particular situation. It may be Florida or Texas or South Dakota or wherever. Do all the research for things like insurances, both health and vehicle, taxes, inheritance issues, personal property taxes and issues, and so on. Find your best place and see if the Montana LLC works for you.

If you are not full timing then your prospects of using a Montana LLC become diminished substantially. Now your research has to be on your current state and the residency laws of that state. Can you comply? If so, can you document your compliance? Perhaps you think you can pull a fast one and license your rig in an adjoining state. If that's the route you are considering then you need to research the residency laws of that adjoining state.

Using any tax avoidance (note, avoidance, not evasion) mechanism means that you have to know what you are doing and you have to be willing to defend your use of that tactic. It's time consuming and confusing but know the facts before you jump in and find that your wonderful tax ideas are really a quagmire of legal entanglements.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The key here is that those who get fined for having a LLC are a state 'resident'.

Typical full-timers do not own a house so their RV is not 'garaged' anywhere. It's constantly traveling. A full-timer has to get registered someplace. That is when it's absolutely legal to have a Montana LLC for registration purposes.
Sounds to me like a simple enough explanation if you're a full timer. We thought about the Montana LLC thing, and not being full time, decided against it. Too complicated. Bit the bullet and paid the state sales tax, and the yearly registration is not that big of a deal. We can live with it.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana