Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #15

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you had insurance covering everything and not just the RV. I would file a claim and let the insurance company handle it. It will be hard to prove that the MT company actually received the notice much less that they failed to forward it since other mail was forwarded.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's not typically a part of a Montana LLC set-up - typically they provide a legal address for the state to use in the registration paperwork. What does our contract with the company say about forwarding? Did they promise to do it in writing, or was it something mentioned in conversation at some point? Have you been providing them with a forward-to address? Mail forwarding has a cost, either as a monthly service or for each batch forwarded.

The only company by that name I can find is actually an Englewood, California company. That suggests they made arrangements with somebody else in Montana, so maybe that's how the forwarding is supposed to occur. I recall reading that one Montana mail forwarder went out of business last year.

What fridge recall occurred recently and you did not receive notice? The last one I know of was back in 2010?
Go to taxfreerv.com and you can read all about it if you want more info. I really do not know how to explain it without writing you a book 😂😂
Tlr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
So sorry for your loss. Please tell me your insurance covered
Yes, as for the motor home we came out better than if we sold it so that was unbelievable since they deprecate so much and it was a 2004. All of our insurance companies have paid out so far except our homeowners and we are working on our inventory contents, taking a long time, but I have pictures of just about everything in there as my husband was an David car collector and car memorabilia collector. As I mentioned in another thread, they valued it at a
1,032,000.00 loss. The only thing that I wish was different is that we had total replacement for the contents as they are trying to depreciate our things since we had ACV on the actual items that were not vehicles, but they are not winning. Our vehicles had REPLACMENT coverage so that was huge! I would definitely rather have my stuff vs. all this money in our bank. It makes me so sad for my husband as he built every car in that pole barn and was a perfectionist and he has collected every item and had to watch it burn to the ground. SICKENING!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4898E9B-92DF-4B07-A8C7-53DA7C688128.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	240193   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DE39BD2-474E-4955-8E31-C13687CC9A4B.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	240194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5BF8547-1360-4F53-A383-9E4E442D676E.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	240195   Click image for larger version

Name:	D42FA5FC-8F3C-4FE7-835D-657E5F2F50CC.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	240196  

Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
The legalities around manufacturer recalls is so greasy!

Such BS. We sent you a letter and we feel that absolves us if any liability. Such a crock!!!
so what else would you expect the recalling company to do?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's not typically a part of a Montana LLC set-up - typically they provide a legal address for the state to use in the registration paperwork. What does our contract with the company say about forwarding? Did they promise to do it in writing, or was it something mentioned in conversation at some point? Have you been providing them with a forward-to address? Mail forwarding has a cost, either as a monthly service or for each batch forwarded.
I think most (all?) of the companies that set up Montana LLCs provide an address for the customer to use for documents relating to the LLC, and forward those documents as part of the service the customer pays for. Since the OP has a house with a pole barn and a beauty salon, I don't think she's talking about mail forwarding services like fulltimers use.

Quote:
I recall reading that one Montana mail forwarder went out of business last year.
I think you're thinking of mydakotaaddress.com, which went out of business last year and the website now goes to Your Best Address. This is in South Dakota, not Montana.

And for those not familiar with the Montana LLC tax scheme, they are usually recommended only for fulltimers who won't be keeping the RV at a fixed address (like their sticks & bricks home), since vehicles are generally required to be registered (and taxed) in the state in which they're kept.

Of course, the people whose business it is to set these things up will usually just tell you to make sure to follow your state's laws.

Also, some states have started looking for RVs that are kept and used by people who live in that state but not registered in that state, and going after the owners for taxes and penalties. It's pretty low-hanging fruit--Montana plates on expensive vehicles that "live" in the state.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlr1000 View Post
We registered our RV out of Montana through Montana RV Consulting, saved us 11k in sales tax, then they have a PO Box that your mail goes to since it is registered out of our state. there is a lot more to it, but this is basically it. You can google them and read about it. It is totally legal as others disagree, but I have 4 separate businesses that I run and my accountant said it is fine.

We had our RV burn down to the ground in January 2019 due to the Norcold refrigerator and our recall was sent to our Montana address and never forwarded to our home in IN. We have suffered the most devastating loss you could imagine. We lost everything as it was parked in our pole barn with 9 classic cars, boat, Harley and personal vehicles and my hair salon. We have been living in hell. I was just trying to reach out to others that may not be getting mail. Before anyone says the word out of their mouths — Yes, we are kicking ourselves in the butts for trying to save the 11k now, trust me you don’t have to even say it as I know many are against the recreational holding companies, but there is many that love it.
Sorry for the loss. When you registered your coach in Montana, had you needed to get Montana driver license in the first place?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Sorry for the loss. When you registered your coach in Montana, had you needed to get Montana driver license in the first place?
No. You don’t have to be residents of Montana. I think where this failed is that Norcold never sent the recalls. That is my opinion and after researching, I can’t believe how many people out there that has RVs still do not know about the issue with the refrigerators. It is really sad. I’m not sure why they make it a national news topic, it it was Ford or Chrysler it would be all over the news!
Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Good point.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Just some thoughts . The recall notice if I remember correctly , and I’ve got a few, may have just been a post card .. easily overlooked I would probably be looking at the forwarding agent mishandling more than norcold as I’m sure the owner of record at the last known address would be mailed automatically . This is not to absolve Norcold to be sure. Norcold mailed , posted in rv mags and every service I had done back then mentioned it to me. It was and is common knowledge. Or at least as common as could be . I am very surprised your service folks didn’t mention it. A pure tragedy of missed events !
keep in mind Even ones with the recall done ,I’ve heard, can catch fire so doing the recall ( a shut off box that seems to regularly fail) may not have been enough.
With this much money involved I’m sure you have a Attorney that can help resolve.
Your tragedy can be a lesson for others who store their rv in a enclosed building / area to not have gas appliances on.
Nothing can replace the time and love put into the restorations your husband spent. Truly sad. I am grateful no lives were lost and the truly important things , the memories weren’t lost. Good luck
Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #24

My second TT was Norcold fire damaged it was front panel wiring and board. Bought from guard at work . I restored it. Found recall papers where same part had been replaced already by best RV place in area . Gave them back to him.
Side note recall auto corrected to rectal...
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana