Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #1

More detail on Senior Park Pass cuts

https://www.rvtravel.com/seniors-tak...pass-proposal/

Looks like they want to cut the discount on upcharges to the camping fee. But the big problem is cutting the discount all together during peak season. Pay full charges all summer long?

Don't like it, now is the time to call your senators and congressmen:

House: (352) 732-1313
Senate: (202) 224-3121

Calls are the most effective but you can email them too, just write your own email don't use a form letter.

I'm not sure if this applies to Access Passes too.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
https://www.rvtravel.com/seniors-tak...pass-proposal/

Looks like they want to cut the discount on upcharges to the camping fee. But the big problem is cutting the discount all together during peak season. Pay full charges all summer long?

Don't like it, now is the time to call your senators and congressmen:

House: (352) 732-1313
Senate: (202) 224-3121

Calls are the most effective but you can email them too, just write your own email don't use a form letter.

I'm not sure if this applies to Access Passes too.
What are we proposing as an alternative to the Senior Pass Changes?

Think that any reduction in Senior Benefits should be Matched with EQUAL Increases in the Regular rate. Simple example - if the reduction in Senior rates is 50% then the increase in Normal rates for these Blackout dates should be increased. ??? - 50 % - ??? or some fair amount, as is the Mission to make these parks only for the Rich and Privileged . ?

I would suggest that they NP Service - open some on the National Forest land outside the National Parks to New Recreational Facilities that would have/allow Private investment with unregulated/or at least differently regulated rates - and then they might be able to leave the National Parks as they are.

Just a thought,

I'll make another Call to my Congressman,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be calling my Senators and Representatives this week!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

National and State Campground Fees

I do enjoy the low camping fees at National Parks, Forest, and free entrance fees at National Monuments. I don't really want that privilege to go away.

On the other hand, power is slowly passing from seniors to younger folks. Fees for seniors are bound to increase. The change has already come to Wisconsin and some other State Parks.

One of the arguments used by Wisconsin politicians was that the cost of entry and camping in State Parks was small compared to other costs campers were already paying. Costs of driving to the parks, costs of food, equipment, and other travel related things have increased by orders of magnitude over camping fees.

Personally, I am conflicted. If I camp outside a National Park, I pay four or five times as much and get almost no recreational facilities that I want to use. I do not want to see National and State Parks close for lack of maintenance or become over crowded for lack of capacity.

I oppose using commercial companies who are not regulated closely. Prices will soar out of control. Recreational facilities will deteriorate until they are essentially gone.

I can pay the proposed increased costs easily as can most RV and TT owners. Not every retired person is so lucky. Increasing costs of "upcharges" is the least onerous change policy makers can do and will affect low income seniors the least.

It is going to happen sooner or later.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I will be calling on Monday.
IF all fees were increased then the 50% discount, at a higher price for seniors, would be ok. The change from $10 to $80 was pretty steep for some.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

$80 for a LIFETIME is not steep!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #7

I have had a senior pass for a while now but back when they announced the price rise from $10 to $80 I purchased a second card to have a spare in case something happened to the first. Yes, I am that frugal...
Old 10-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

I want them to call it an Old People pass. I find the euphemism "senior" offensive in that it implies there's something wrong with being old.

I feel better now.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up. Emails sent to my reps.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I am in favor of most of the rising prices for seniors. When I had children at home, we had to pay full price for everything. No life time passes - we bought a new one yearly. That pass provided no discount on camping or other fees either. We seniors use the facilities so why shouldn’t we pay more to get them updated? Just saying “Keep everything the same for me, but charge everybody else more,” seems like sticking your head in the sand.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have an opinion either way, but if they increase the prices or decrease the discount, will it actually go to the park, or into the government coffers. It's always such a scam. They increase prices, give the increase to the park, then reduce the park's base budget by the amount of the increase.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #12

Tariffs collected set to reach 100 Billion by the end of the year , that could get a couple miles of NF road ways repaired.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't have an opinion either way, but if they increase the prices or decrease the discount, will it actually go to the park, or into the government coffers. It's always such a scam. They increase prices, give the increase to the park, then reduce the park's base budget by the amount of the increase.
I agree with Don. I am apposed to any increase in fees. The government gets enough of our cash already. Time to reallocate some of the money they already get from us. I Came from a state that put in the lottery. They told us the schools would benefit from the increased revenue. The schools got nothing extra. The state reduced to schools the amount the lottery brought in. Like others my wife and I will be calling next week to let our views be known.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I have had a senior pass for a while now but back when they announced the price rise from $10 to $80 I purchased a second card to have a spare in case something happened to the first. Yes, I am that frugal...

We actually did the same thing.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote