Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
More Roofing questions

Hello there fellow Rver's,
As some of you know by reading/ responding to my posts that Im in the process of replacing the roof on my 92 Gulfstream ultra limited so since I dont know what Im doing I have a few more questions. In regards to the roofing material better to go with a rubber roof membrane or a spray on roof like the one that Rhino Linings now has specically for RV's? If i decided to go with a rubber roof do I want black top or white?
I have read on several websites that the black is better because with it getting hot it would adhere and seal better or would I be better off going with a white roof since it would reflect the heat better thus keeping the interior cooler? I know that on some of the larger rigs the color of the roof matches the rig but I have also seen them white.
Would love to get some imput both pro's and cons- Thanks Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, down here you would definitaly want white. In the northeast, your guess is better than mine. The times I have been able to spend in that area in the summer, it was plenty hot there too.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

I would want white for it's reflective properties. If there's an upside to black it's lost on me.

Rubber vs. alum. would probably depend on one's skill set? I have no trouble working with alum. so I would likely go that way. Tin snips vs. a knife, not sure which would be easier to do a nice job with.

Regarding a spray on, that's a little too "new school" for me. I'd be concerned about cracking...

Best of luck on your project! -Al
Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike
Black absorbs heat, white reflects it. We all know that, so the choice is, which do you want.
There are several types of "rubber roofing", none of which is actualy rubber. EPDM and TPO are most often used for rv applications. TPO is considered to be the tougher of the two and does not sluff of with age like EPDM.
There are two types of adhesive commonly used for installation of roofing. Neoprene, which hardens, and latex which stays pliable.
Hope this will help you with your decision.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
re:more roof questions

Why would these RV roofing places be selling the black stuff? they to must know that black absorbs the heat.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why would these RV roofing places be selling the black stuff?
It probably is not exclusively an RV roof place. Rubber roofs are used on buildings too, and black is most common there. Doesn't show dirt and doesn't chalk either (the chalk comes from the white pigment used to make RV roofs pretty). Probably cheaper too, at least in commercial use quantities.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to use one of the spray or brush coatings, you can leave the old rubber fabric base on, assuming it is still well-adhered.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
re:more roof questions

I would love to leave the old roof on it but Im sorry to say that the previous owners Im not sure if it was the original owners of the guy I bought it from let it get to the point of having to replace the interior ceiling and some of the walls. I pulled the trim off from the front vent to begin tearing off the old paneling and found what looks to be liner from a swimming pool around the vent, so I can only imagine what the rest of the roof looks like. Oh the good time have only just begun.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EPDM RV Roof Replacement Project