Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
What are your top 5 favorite highways, for excitement, and awesome scenery ?

Mine are: 1. Highway 12 in Utah, from Escalante to Torrey

2. Going to the sun in Glacier

3. Trailridge in Rockymountain Nat'l Park

4. Natchez Trace, Nashville to Natchez

5. Interstate 70, in Colorado, where it is stacked one on top of the other..Glenwood Canyon ??
Here's some more lesser known ones:

1. Highway 14 WY Ranchester to Greybull

2. Highway 191 AZ Alpine to Clifton

3. Highway 128 UT Cisco to Moab

4. Highway 163 UT/AZ Mexican Hat to Kayenta

5. Highway 9 CO (Shelf Road) Canon City to Cripple Creek
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #16

Talking So many memories

Highway 1 up the northern California coast is spectacular (also the stretch from Morro Bay up to Monterey), but not for the faint of heart or large of rig.

A clockwise loop around the southern end of Lake Tahoe will get your heart pumping on 89. At one point the road is very narrow and drops off a thousand feet on either side with no shoulder much less a guard rail.

More gorgeous than exciting but it is hard to beat the Blue Ridge Parkway. For pure adrenaline anywhere in Illinois where every mile closer to Chicago just ratchets up the fear factor.

Lastly, ANYWHERE in Tornado alley with the thunderstorms a brewing and spitting out tornados... don't ask me how I know.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #17

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Interesting that many of these road are my favorites for riding my BMW R1100S too! We have some great scenery in this wonderful country...so many roads, so little time!

Cheers!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #18

Not in a particular order ...

• Cabot Trail on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
  • Alaska Highway (they sure did pick some scenic areas when they created the route)
  • Trans Canada Highway, 3 different sections including:
Northern Lake Superior route (Ontario)
Eastern Lake Superior route (Ontario)
Rogers Pass (British Columbia)
  • Ice Field Parkway between Banff and Jasper
  • Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec

Want to finish seeing Canada first, and then I'll start heading down to the USA for my travels. And, there's a huge bucket list of drives and locations I want to go to in the US.

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I can't remember the name, but it's a canyon paralleling a river on I-15, just north of Las Vegas. The canyon is steep, narrow and pretty, even though it's very dry. You really need to pay attention, especially when you're alongside a FedEx truck pulling triples!

The Oregon coast is also a beautiful drive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I can't remember the name, but it's a canyon paralleling a river on I-15, just north of Las Vegas. The canyon is steep, narrow and pretty, even though it's very dry.
I believe you're thinking of the Virgin River Canyon. It is awesome! Nearby is Valley of Fire State Park which is equally beautiful.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Hwy 97 - Banff/Jasper Highway
Hwy 101 - West Coast Highway
Hwy 129 - Tail of the Dragon
Blue Ridge Parkway
Cabot Trail
Chief Joseph Highway/Bear Tooth Pass
Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I believe you're thinking of the Virgin River Canyon. It is awesome! Nearby is Valley of Fire State Park which is equally beautiful.
Does sound like the Virgin River Gorge. Drove it today. Part was washed out in a recent rain storm so there is construction on about a mile of it with reduced lane width. Max width it 10 feet.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I love some of the roads in Southern Utah, including 12. Some others in the Midwest but I wouldn't want to drive my motorhome/trailer set up is Highway 23 (Pig Trail) in Arkansas between I-40 and Eureka Springs.

Highway 74 west from Jasper, AR along the Buffalo River.

Needles Highway in SD, some of this has low clearance and width restrictions, so I don't recommend in any RV.

Central Hills Loop | South Dakota Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #24

We just returned home from driving U.S. Hwy 1 from Monterey, California down to Morro Bay. The road gets up to 2,000 feet above the ocean--straight down. Very beautiful.

We often drive the 40 mile Cherowala Skyway east of Tellico Plains, Tennessee-over into North Carolina. It's just as beautiful as Yosemite National Park minus the waterfalls.

A short drive north of Cherowala is the Tail of the Dragon, east of Maryville, TN below Fontana Dam. I'd never take an RV up that incredibly crooked road. It makes the Road to Hana (Maui) look straight.

The southern section of the Blue Ridge Parkway below Asheville, NC is incredibly beautiful at sunup. I have no desire to drive it or the Natchez Trace more than 100 miles--boring.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
After visiting Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs, we took CA198 south, ended up on a county road past Milo,CA to CR 190 that goes through the southern unit of SNP, past Camp Nelson. Hung a left on J-41 (according to the Road Atlas), past Sherman Peak and Troy Meadows to 395 and on up into Olancha for 3 days of earthquakes. Very scenic but we ground a quarter of an inch off the MH's rock guard on all those tight turns. Touring Death Valley NP in the toad was worth all the white knuckles getting there.

Another one was towing through Lassen Volcanic NP on 89. I'd never heard of LVNP and had no idea of the altitude(10,457')and how narrow the road was...geez, and the place smelled like hot brakes the whole way.

Top of the World Hwy after it had been raining for over 2 weeks was aaaah, interesting. Just over a l00 miles in just over 8 hours.

UT 12 is one of our all time favorites as well.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #26

One to add to the list is US 12 from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID and Clarkson, WA. It is called the Lewis and Clark trail and it is a pretty drive along the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Driving the coach up Pikes Peak Hwy is pretty spectacular. One day a year you can camp on the Peak for the International Hill Climb. Highly recommended to any car racing fan. Also recommend you wait for the mountain to clear before attempting the drive down. The exhaust brake is of no value when you are creeping along at 3 MPH .
Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #28

Exciting? Try 89a from Flagstaff AZ to Sedona as a newbie in a 40ft motorhome for a first trip. It was exciting but don't know if it was in a good way. The big sign with "Warning! No Trucks over 50ft" should have been a dead giveaway for a smart person. I expect it was a beautiful drive but didn't have time to look.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote