Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Don't forget your patience

2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Never go anywhere without my Next Exit book. It tells me what is at each Interstate exit including fuel stops. A roll of toilet paper until you can get to a Walmart. A video camera to record the walk-through where the dealer shows you what's where and explains what it does because it is overwhelming- info overload.

Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 AM   #17
That's good advice about shipping things to where you're going to pickup the coach. I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with holding it till you got there. That way you'll have cookware, utensils, bedding, towels...etc. Wish I would have thought of that years ago.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 AM   #18
One thing that is a must for us is a GPS. If you don't already have a good one, it would be nice to get used to a new RV model on the trip to AZ.

You will probably be surprised how little stuff you really need. Buying what's needed as you go is good policy. Observing fellow campers will also be helpful.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first trip was directly to Target and Walmart. Went through each department and purchased what we needed. A year later when full timing, I found that during the first three months I was still adding things on every shopping trip. It settled down from there and there is little else we need. As you use your coach you will find that the situations you run into dictate your needs. Still hard to beat one stop shopping for your basics with a trip to walmart.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
I haven't had the opportunity to thank everyone for the thoughtful responses I received!

Bill1324 suggested boxing things up, which we have decided to do (linens and towels are bulky...this was a great idea)

GBburgess suggested a lot of the little things that we'll need...the 30/50 power adapter, the water pressure regulator and other things. The best advice was not to be afraid to ask at the camppground. We will probably be labelled "the clueless couple at site 43."

Melmoses - I had never heard of the Next Exit book...what a great idea! We are known for picking the one exit that says "gas", then driving 20 miles to find the one-pump gas station with the rusty pumps called "Fly-by-Night Gas and Bait"

Thank you all!
Jo-Ann - with hubby Chris (and the cats)
2013 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2008 Honda CRV
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #21
When we got ours we went to wallyworld for some things. Within six months the chinese junk we got had all been replaced.Rugs delaminated, dishes cracked .
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

What you should get:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Connections & accessories.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	112012  
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is one of those questions that everyone can give a different answer and they all would be right but not necessarily for you. My answer to the question is you can purchase everything that you will need so with limited space I would just take what I needed to get me to AZ from NY in terms of clothes and personal items. When you think about it other than clothes everything else you purchase will be left in the MH all the time so why bring it. Since that leaves you with a load of stuff to purchase to reduce stress and enable me to hit the road quicker I would sit down and create several check lists. I would make a list for the RV specific items (hoses, pressure reducers, filters, GPS, etc.) and one for the kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom. I would check the list against what comes with the MH. If I was uncertain on some items I would give them a low priority and get them later if I found I needed them or if I had excess at home I would pack and ship them to AZ to save money. I would also review the list and those items which might not be something I couldn't purchase locally I would order them in advance and ship them to AZ. Lastly, If you are planning to tow your CRV I would set it up for towing before I left so I didn't get bogged down waiting for parts and the next available opening.
Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on your future plans.

If you have room in your vehicle, pillows and blanket.

We went to Texas from MI to pick up our rig, We shipped pots and pans, dishes(4 piece set), silverware (enough to get by only) spatula, serving spoons, can opener (not electric), one serving bowl, small coffee maker, filters, 2 cups. You get the idea. Sheets, blanket, towels, 2 rolls TP. Had our shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brush's, and hair brushes with us. It was enough till we got to Walmart. Slept in it the first night with just these items.

It can be different for everyone. Do you drink coffee or can you pick up juice at Walmart? What food items would you need immediately? Pam, meat, vegetables, fruit, cereal, salt and pepper, season salt? Dish soap, garbage bags, tongs, scissors, duct tape,

Your best bet is to make a list now. We did. Went to Walmart and picked up what we needed. It worked out fine.

Items mentioned by others, sewer hose, white water hose, THE PRESSURE REGULATOR FOR WATER HOSE IS IMPORTANT, maybe a filter, We definitely use one now. Tire pressure gauge. Small tool kit. Even if the rig is new, things will not work or need adjusted.

Go into the older threads here. Read about dumping your tanks, leveling your rig, turning corners. Extra fuses do not hurt.

Good luck. Remember, whatever you don't have is at the next Walmart or Camping World. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #25
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
What you should get:
Armand, That photo is VERY helpful!

Thanks so much!
Jo-Ann - with hubby Chris (and the cats)
2013 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2008 Honda CRV
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #26
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Socket set with extensions and deep sockets, duct and electrical tape, adjustable wrenches, all in one screw driver, hammer, tape measure, large and small pliers, variety of wire ties, bungy cords, assorted allen wrenches, wire cutter/stripper and a GPS. Hope you don't need any of them.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
All good suggestions. I really like the one about your pillow. Some folks are unable to sleep well without their favorite pillow.

With that in mind I would put anything of a like matter on the list. Is there anything that would keep you from sleeping a good sleep if you left it behind?
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
I tried to scan through these posts and there are lots of great suggestions...

I did not see a LED headlight mentioned and also a heavy duty flashlight.
Some have mentioned duct tape, which is great, but I find Gorilla Tape even better.
Good luck.

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote