Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most People

I'll always think most of them are good and at least try to be decent and pass on good. I notice though that in recent time (couple of years maybe) there seems to be an increase in angry responses and free expression of animosity with little or no provocation.

Create good as best as we can. There's enough bad without adding to it
HeresJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sad but true! Even though I still think IRV2 has the nicest people of any RV forum, there are a few that seem to want to agitate others.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
I'll always think most of them are good and at least try to be decent and pass on good. I notice though that in recent time (couple of years maybe) there seems to be an increase in angry responses and free expression of animosity with little or no provocation.

Create good as best as we can. There's enough bad without adding to it
Something we should all keep in mind.
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Good thing to remember and I see less of that stuff here as compared to other social media platforms.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

You hit the nail on the head! We are here to share and help. Lately I have been poked and prodded a few times. I try not to react, but we are all human and have our hot buttons. In reality though, this is a great community of folks who want to help each other. I guess it is in our nature to try and help other like. Minded folks. We have a community of caring people here.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #6

Car groups use to be better and help full, but that's changed lately.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #7

Great sentiment, HeresJohnny.

I believe most folks would agree that there has been a significant decline in civility in our society in the past few years. IMO, the chief culprit is "social" media, and specifically, the anonymity of social media participants. There are no repercussions to nasty behavior when practitioners of this loathsome activity can hide behind an avatar. I am virtually certain that it would be a different story if we had to post our names and addresses. Also, people wouldn't do this face to face. The anonymity of most social media all but guarantees a plethora of bullies and insulting talk. Except on iRV2, of course.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

One of the problems is that people are communicating more frequently through written methods rather than spoken ones, but our languages aren't any different than before. Human communication is largely non-verbal. Take the movie Wall-E as an example. The main character, Wall-E, (spoiler alert if you somehow haven't seen this wonderful movie) says about a dozen words through the whole movie, but everyone knows what he's thinking and feeling throughout the whole thing. One of the words he says is "Eve", the name of another character in the movie. He says it with a different inflection to denote curiosity, fear, affection, and desperation, but that would be written as "Eve!" in each of those cases. If you can't hear "Eve!" being pronounced, you can't tell if he is saying it in excitement, or fear, or anger, or desperation. It's all "Eve!" when written, but it's completely different every time it's spoken.

The same thing applies to what people write online. "You did it!" can be read as accusatory, or congratulatory, or even inquisitively. Though it was written in a congratulatory manner, it may be read in an accusatory manner, resulting in the person reading it feeling called out and attacked and retaliating or becoming defensive. As I try to tell people, offense is always taken, but rarely given. It's difficult to adequately convey what you're trying to when writing, but it's almost effortless when speaking the exact same words.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #9

what anonymity shows, is who we really are. Sometimes,many times it show we are not really as good as we think we are.
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #10

IMO it all comes down to selfishness. People these days don't care about me and you anymore. I live in New York and it is so obvious, nobody even tries to hide it.

Different times
Different people
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
WDW

I give the moderators credit for enforcing the rules to keep the boards civil. Thank you moderators!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's really simple. Treat others the way you want to be treated!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

It comes down to showing respect, a trait that is diminishing quickly in our newer "entitled" society.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Agreed, and there's a catch-22 there........right?? If everyone's "entitled" to respect....we'll reach a point one day where everyone's expecting it, but no one's willing to give it.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote