RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Motor Fuel Violation (IFTA)

Several months ago, a friend was traveling through Illinois and while stopped at a rest stop outside Springfield IL an Officer with the Illinois Department Of Revenue knocked at his door.

The Officer stated he was in violation of the “Failure to display a valid Fuel Use Tax Decal.” The Officer said that because the motorhome was registered in a Montana LLC and had a tag axle it was treated the same as a commercial semi truck and must display the “Fuel Tax” decal. The Officer issued an IFTA violation and said my friend would receive a letter/notice from the Illinois Dept of Revenue. The Officer also advised that Florida would be notified since he is a Florida resident.
The Illinois notice arrived stating my friend had to pay a $1,000 fine or appear in court to protest the action.

We’ve already had a lively debate on the TRVN board and I’m not wanting to revisit the much debated MT LLC discussion. Instead I’d just like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and any first had information they might be willing to share.

ChattaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sounds like your friend's gamble to avoid Florida taxes has got him caught in the Montana LLC trap. Many states recognize the Montana tag on an RV as a possible tax dodge and this officer ran his plate and discovered the LLC ownership. I'm sure more Dept. of Revenue officers will be knocking at the door of RVs with Montana plates. A $1000 fine makes it worth their while to run suspect plates.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

On the Atlanta news a couple of weeks ago they did a story on Georgia going after high value cars using the Montana LLC’s.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
If the vehicle is over 26000 lb curb weight or has 3 or more axles and travels in 2 or more states it should have an IFTA tag if registered to a corporation. I believe the towed vehicle weight is also included in th 26000 lb rule, though someone else may have a better answer.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
If the vehicle is over 26000 lb curb weight or has 3 or more axles and travels in 2 or more states it should have an IFTA tag if registered to a corporation. I believe the towed vehicle weight is also included in th 26000 lb rule, though someone else may have a better answer.

Combination weight....

BUT Montana LLC should NOT be registered as a Commercial Entity otherwise business books/tax filings would be necessary

Course the Illinois Trooper saw MT Plates/Tag axle and WHAM....easy revenue

Owners has to PROVE not in violation---good luck with that.
A letter from the law firm that set up the MT LLC might help but sounds like the 'friend' paid the 'fine'

Illinois is VERY Aggressive on 'Commercial' Violations
Farmers have VERY strict laws they must follow if they have a 'farm use registration'..150 mile limit
That limit is TOTAL distance the product can be hauled if moved by a 'Farm Use Vehicle'....which means not just the drive to the grainery if the grain is taken out of state.

So not surprised the Illinois Trooper jumped on the MT LLC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

I think the trooper's full of crap! If he's treating your friends rv as a commercial vehicle your friend would also need to display DOT numbers, display business name, would need to stop at all scale houses and possibly trip permits for each state he travels through. Just because he wears a uniform doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

Just Another reason Illinois will NEVER see me or my money !!!! Too many stupid laws.... My opinion....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #8

Illinois is broke--some time ago, they had to delay paying off bigger lottery tickets because of lack of funds....I do not go thru there unless absolutely necessary.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think your friend got bullied into paying a fine that was not really valid. They figured he would pay the fine rather than go to the hassle and expense of fighting it. Florida doesn't consider any motorhome in private use as a commercial vehicle, so IGFA regs don't apply (despite what the tax cop claimed). Illinois is supposed to honor Florida's registration classification as private too, but the tax guys must figure they can get around that. At least until a judge gets involved.

The mere fact that an LLC owns a vehicle does NOT make it commercial, but the private use status has to be shown (defended).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

A few responses write about the Illinois "trooper"...
I think its significant to note the poster said it was a revenue officer. I have not heard of those positions before (never lived anywhere close to IL) but I would think they target this type of violation whereas a trooper may not even ever get involved with it. I wonder how many of those guys exsist in IL. Of course if one gets ticketed, it doesn't matter how many exsist.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think your friend got bullied into paying a fine that was not really valid. They figured he would pay the fine rather than go to the hassle and expense of fighting it. Florida doesn't consider any motorhome in private use as a commercial vehicle, so IGFA regs don't apply (despite what the tax cop claimed). Illinois is supposed to honor Florida's registration classification as private too, but the tax guys must figure they can get around that. At least until a judge gets involved.

The mere fact that an LLC owns a vehicle does NOT make it commercial, but the private use status has to be shown (defended).

The MH was NOT registered in FL
MT LLC registration

Owners DL was FL ---hence the reason LEO stated FL would be notified
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I missed that, Biscuit. Good point. However, it's just another scare tactic by the revenue officer - Florida couldn't care less about an Illinois tax problem, especially since Florida doesn't even have a special license class for motorhome drivers.

It's true that a vehicle over 26k lbs and having three axles on the powered unit is a "qualified vehicle" under IFTA rules, but most states exempt recreational and other private-use vehicles. I know both Montana and Florida do (it's in their IFTA Guidelines). Reading the Illinois IFTA Guidelines, it also appears to specifically exempt "recreational vehicles" but apparently Illinois does not. See Qualifies Vehicles on pages 2& 3 of the Liinois IFTA document.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/publi...el/mfut-53.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

I seem to remember, a couple of years back, that NC kinda went thru this sort of thing. I remember reading reports of RV's with any kind of signage advertising anything that could be considered "commercial" being cited if the operator didn't have all the appropriate "commercial" documents.

I even read of folks with websites posted on their RV or pulling trailers with something like "Joe's Racing" stickers, getting cited. Haven't heard anything about that recently. I think sometimes it may be a new enforcement officer who knows most of the rules but not all of the rules.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #14

The Definition for recreational vehicle by Illinois:

A recreational vehicle means any vehicle, such as motor homes, pickup trucks with
attached campers, and buses, when used exclusively for personal pleasure by an
individual. In order to qualify as a recreational vehicle, the vehicle shall not be used in
connection with any business endeavor.

Since it's registered by a LLC not a individual it's not exempt from IFTA.

Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel