Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

motor home A/C

we have a safari coach with a down dometic penguin a/c. the compresser is bad ,we have been looking at the Advent 135 to replace it or an Atwood. the height is not a problem We would like to hear from you, your thoughts and experience with this matter. we are also looking to travel west next year and would like to know which dish direct tv or dish tv is better, and what unit is the best to buy. retirement is great thanks
southern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Avent is cheap, and Atwood I have no experience with. There is more to replacing just the roof unit than you think, I think.

The inside controls and ceiling asy. have to all match. Personally, I'd just leave a Dometic unit on the roof for ease of the swap.

For satellite, what do you mean what "unit" is best? What satellite antenna on the roof?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern2 View Post
we have a safari coach with a down dometic penguin a/c. the compresser is bad ,we have been looking at the Advent 135 to replace it or an Atwood. the height is not a problem We would like to hear from you, your thoughts and experience with this matter. we are also looking to travel west next year and would like to know which dish direct tv or dish tv is better, and what unit is the best to buy. retirement is great thanks
Depends on whether you want High Definition TV or not. The Dish antennas will all receive HD, the only DirecTV antenna that supports HD is the Travelr (which is also available for Dish). These antennas are completely automatic; will find and lock onto the satellites automatically. I have DirecTV and have been satisfied. Dish has a program for RVers whereby you can start/stop your service a month at a time with no penalty. The disadvantage I've found with Dish is that their satellites are lower on the horizon, and thereby often tend to be obscured by trees, mountains, etc. Dish seems to have more "deals" but they are all program-dependent... you get about what you pay for!! You might keep in mind that more and more campgrounds are offering free cable, so if you stay primarily in nicer campgrounds, you may want to save your money!!!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

The advice regarding replacing the A/C unit is sound. Your unit may have temp controls that work only with the Dometic brand. Take care in looking at what the connections are and what the is needed to maintain your current system.
The advice here in IRV2 is that the Advent units are cheap and lack the cooling performance of other brands, especially the Dometic Brisk Air II. "Google" and see what is said.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:34 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought an Advent Air to replace my Carrier.. As someone said, Cheap, Made in China. (That says most everything right there) had I know made in china I'd have gone with the other option.

The unit is hard to open up for cleaning, Instead of screws to hold the inner covers on they have only one inner cover.. and it's held with tabs bent over so eventually they will break off and leave you very unhappy.

That said.. The thing works.. or did till the fan blew apart.. now it works again, but the fan is a Coleman I think. ( I do Xeno transplants on these things don't you know.. Same as my Dometic by LG microwave. Xeno tranplanted a GE part that works)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The Atwood heat pumps work fine, and only time will tell about reliability. I'll let you know if mine give me any trouble... I replaced both my Coleman A/C with the 15K heat pumps. They work well and are much quieter! As was mentioned before, to swap out the Penguin for another brand, you'll have to replace the top unit and the ceiling unit. The Atwood units use a 4 wire digital interface between the ceiling unit and the thermostat. so some wiring modifications may be required. They do now sell wiring adapters to let you use existing coach wiring to connect to the Atwood connectors.

Biggest issue I have with the Atwood A/C units is getting them delivered without damage. It seems that FedEx and UPS would rather drag those boxes along behind their trucks instead of putting them inside... The shipping damage issue got so bad I removed the A/C units from my website.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote