Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got the word this morning that HR822 was passed.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Got the word this morning that HR822 was passed.

Glenn
Yes, but unfortunately it was the easy hurdle. I can't see it making it all the way. I mean does anyone really expect this President to sign it?
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #45

I believe his signature is only required for a veto. If he does nothing it should go into law.

Any expert opinions?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
I believe his signature is only required for a veto. If he does nothing it should go into law.

Any expert opinions?
OK, this is starting to get political, but since the following deals with government process, not political parties, we'll see if it sticks or not.

From Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest source, but....)

Quote:
A pocket veto is a legislative maneuver in United States federal lawmaking that allows the President to indirectly veto a bill.

The U.S. Constitution limits the President's period for decision on whether to sign or veto any legislation to ten days (not including Sundays) while the United States Congress is in session. If the President does nothing during this period while Congress remains in session, the unsigned bill becomes law. However, if Congress cuts short this period by adjourning and the President does not sign the bill, then the bill dies. This latter outcome is known as the "pocket veto." Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution states:
If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the same shall be a Law, in like manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its return, in which case it shall not be a Law.
Since Congress cannot vote while in adjournment, a pocket veto cannot be overridden (but see below). James Madison became the first president to use the pocket veto in 1812.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post

Any expert opinions?
No, all three branches must sign for a bill to become a law. If he vetoes it it requires a two thirds majority in both the house and senate.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #48

I have one question, where in Redlands did this happen?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
No, all three branches must sign for a bill to become a law. If he vetoes it it requires a two thirds majority in both the house and senate.
That would be both houses of Congress AND the President must sign. The three branches include the Judiciary, and they aren't involved at this stage.

joe
Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
That would be both houses of Congress AND the President must sign. The three branches include the Judiciary, and they aren't involved at this stage.

joe
Yep
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forward camera: You'll need something with better resolution if you're gonna make a case and stick.

I placed night hawk cameras (day/night) front and rear of the house after being vandalized 3 times. The cops would do nothing and told me I'll need proof. So I got the wireless cameras (180 degrees front and 180 degrees rear, (3 camera pods) and a 500GB hard drive for continous recording. About 3 monts later, I caught one of the punks on video. He looked so stupid as he was starring right into the camera wondering if it was real or not. Yep... It was real, and I got him.

Here's the thing though, you need good resolution, otherwise, the court will thow it out. It doesn't have to be bank lobby quality, but needs to be good to better resolution.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Forward camera: You'll need something with better resolution if you're gonna make a case and stick.
Very true. The company I work for has spent 10's of thousands of dollars on low res. cameras at our 39 plants trying to keep the vandals and thieves away. DVR's at all locations etc...all we can tell is what time we got violated and that it was two guys in a pickup, light in color. Absolutely worthless.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Of course the better the defense lawyer, the higher the resolution required to convict, and don't even think about the gloves fitting?

Youse guys is like us up here in that you tend to elect lawyers into government positions and youse all know that lawyers are great for making work for other lawyers.

One large job security system.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a thread here about a dash camera.. I have a "nose camera" on my rig which can be recorded by the living room DVR (A 250 hour hard drive at low quality)

Imagine the fun the cops would have had if you handed them a DVD of say the last 10 minutes of your trip up to and including the shotgun blast.

A first class description of the car, and possibly a photo of the driver..

If the car comes from a 2-plate state (Those are getting rare) you have the license plate number as well.

I mean.. An investigating officer could have real fun with that kind of video.

My dad tells of a semi trucker back during the depression, He'd hauled a load of cattle to market and since the farmers trusted the mule skinner (Driver) more than they did the bankers (Question: Has anything changed since?) he was now hauling a load of CASH back to the farmers.. As he's going down the mountain a car pulls up, the shotgun appears "Drive like we tell you and nobody gets hurt!" Driver signals agreement (Salutes) and continues down the mountain.....

On one of the switch back curves.. Well, as you know (Cause we have the same problem) Semi's need to take those curves, epically right hand ones, a bit .. er, wider than you average sedan.. He took it so wide his outside duals were rubbing up on the guard rail

you know where that left Mr. Shotgun right.. (OVER HE EDGE) One assumes he figured out he'd been snookered and it was time to be shooting off his gun but alas........ Nothing but mountain to shoot at, and it was going past at a speed described by 32 feet per second, per second. (Normal 1G acceleration).

Driver gets to the little village at the bottom, Pulls up in front of the sheriff's office, tells his story and the sheriff says "Terrible how those cars try to take those corners too fast isn't it?" and so ended the investigation. Death due to speeding.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post

joe
I believe a bill that has passed both houses of congress, and presented to the president, will automatically become law after 10 days without his signature, providing congress is still in session during this 10 day period.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #56

Here is another in same area.
CHP says freeway shooting not linked to holdups - Times-Standard Online

CHP says freeway shooting not linked to holdups

The Associated Press
Posted: 10/12/2011 06:45:29 AM PDT

REDLANDS, Calif.—Authorities say the shooting of a motorist on a San Bernardino County freeway appears unrelated to a recent string of freeway robberies. A 42-year-old Anaheim man underwent surgery Monday night after he was wounded while sitting in his disabled pickup truck on the shoulder of Interstate 210 in Redlands. He's expected to recover.
No arrests have been made.
Authorities had looked into whether the assault was linked to five robberies and two shootings that took place last month along several interstates.
But the Riverside Press-Enterprise (REDLANDS: I-210 shooting believed unrelated to earlier incidents | Breaking News | PE.com - The Press-Enterprise) says investigators don't believe there's a connection.
California Highway Patrol Officer Mario Lopez says that violent spree appeared to end after a couple of days. He also says the reported getaway vehicle was different.
———
Information from: The Press-Enterprise, http://www.pe.com
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote