Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

I totally agree with Mr. John's advice. I bought the RV rating package from Gallant and it saved me significant $$. Like you, I bought our first ever RV. Don't rush into and, by all means, do your homework.

BTW, ANY dealer that gives you that line of BS would be number one on my "do not buy" list.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #16

make sure what ever you buy the company that builds it has been in business for a while.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Since you are in the Houston area check out PPL before you drop those $$$.
Class A Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
They have many, many pre-owned coaches. You can do that side by side comparisons that you want to do. 100k is good money, but in the world of new RV's....not so much. You can spend 40-50, add a few flat screens and spend the rest on camping, fuel, and MH goodies.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had three Type A MH's, one Santara that I had to repair every time we were out and two DSDP's that, once sorted out, were absolutely GREAT.
Buy a few year old quality unit, you'll be better off in the long run!!
Naturally I put Newmar at the top of the list, others won't agree!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #19

Good luck on your buying decision. Given the option of a Winnebago versus a Hurricane, Daybreak, or Mirada I think I would opt for the Winnie. As you can see I own a Hurricane 30Q which is in the size range you stated. It is an older model but is in great shape for being 11 years old. I just recently purchased it. It is the lower end of mh's in regards to fit and finish, external storage is a bit lacking, and holding tank capacity could be larger. We primarily use it for weekends at state parks and so far it works for us. If we were to spend more time in it, we would probably upgrade.

Used is a good option you should look into.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #20

Enjoy and have fun looking, my wife would love a new one. A friend of mine loves his Damon Daybreak. Read there forum hear.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our 09 Fleetwood Bounder it was 9 months old with only 4500 miles on it the MSRP was $144,000 we paid $52,000 less than that. The original owner had told me that he give $118,000 for it when they bought it new and his paper work showed this to be true, so they lost $26,000 in less than a years time. You get more for your money when buying a newer used one. If you have the time go to there factory's and watch them build them. We just did the Fleetwood, Thor, & Newmar factory tours, I have to say what I seen Fleetwood & Thor had there stuff together I would never buy a Newmar after watching them build one.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for your advice; I need all the help I can get!! I know this sounds goofy, but I'm afraid of buying used because I don't want to inherit someone else's LEMON. It appears that we may have to shift gears and focus on a Class 3, which will probably be the best "starter" for us. We have to dip our toe into the water to see if we want to dive in!!

Thank you again for the advice; I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Don't rush into and, by all means, do your homework.
Do plenty of home work. Test drive all that you can, A or C. Take your time and get a good feel for your potential purchase.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In response to the OP's original question, quality is directly related to cost/price. The higher dollar rigs are of higher quality...after looking at a few, it's easy to tell the difference.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice; I need all the help I can get!! I know this sounds goofy, but I'm afraid of buying used because I don't want to inherit someone else's LEMON. It appears that we may have to shift gears and focus on a Class 3, which will probably be the best "starter" for us. We have to dip our toe into the water to see if we want to dive in!!

Thank you again for the advice; I sincerely appreciate it.
By that I take it you mean class C. Buying used M/h IMHO is the best way not to get a lemon, a 2 or 3 year old coach already has the bugs out of it for the most part, or any defects are easy to see. There are any number of mobile RV repair people out there that for a reasonable fee will do a through inspection before you buy. As you are new to RVing it would be $$ well spent, if the seller refuses to let them inspect the unit at your expense walk away. As to "testing the waters" that can be costly to keep tradeing coaches, been there done that 5th wheel, 2 gas coaches, 2 diesel pushers. As a 1st time buyer with no trade you are in the best position you can be in to buy and make a good deal. All rv builders have had issues with their products fron time to time regardless of weather they where entry level or top of the line, just use the internet and do your research before you buy. Good hunting
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just, yesterday, saw a 2005 42.5', tag axle, Newmar Mountain Aire DP (diesel pusher- 400 HP Cummings), 4 slide outs, 33,00 miles, sitting on the side of the road for sale by a private owner. The sign said "fully serviced and ready to go". The price was reduced from $145 G's to $135 G's. This unit probably listed for around $350 G's new.

Probably much more MH than you need, or want. An offer in the high end of the "pocket book" amount you stated, would probably buy it by Letting a "little snow fall on it" (meaning- wait awhile). If an offer was accepted, then, you could go look at it and have a pre-buy inspection done, etc. It's in Eastern, North Carolina (Wilson).

It sure is a buyers market now! Buy used-

Any one else reading this and interested- PM me- I'll pass along the name and phone number to you.

Good luck,
Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #27

That new smell goes away in about two weeks; then you can start the repairs.
Used; you can start the repairs right away; look at all the fun you will miss if you buy new.
Afraid you might get a lemon? Flip a coin, sometimes you win, somtimes you lose. same as buying a motorhome; either new or used.
Figure on at least six months to get the motorhome they way you like it; weather you buy new or used; makes little difference.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had Fleetwoods and now a Winnebago. I fully reccomend the Winnebago for its longevity and quality. You should be able to find a very nice late model for the sum you are suggesting...

Tags
quality