Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Motor Home Twisted -- Is it Safe to Drive?

My motor home rolled backwards down a hill and planted the hitch receiver into the ground taking most of the blow. I will have the chassis frame inspected next week. My greatest concern is the "box" on the frame was twisted and damaged. I'm not sure I want to drive it if they repair the body and other cosmetic damage. The large dinette slide will only retract about a foot. The front fiberglass cap is cracked in both upper outer windshield corners. I could go on...

The question I have for my fellow RV'ers is this: If the chassis isn't bent and the box is -- how does one decide that the box damage is safe to drive in? Would you feel safe in a motorhome that has visually been twisted and you can see the damage to the box?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NO!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Why drive it........your insurance adjuster should be on his way .......sounds like it is totaled to me .....
Old 09-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Probably totaled If frame is bent. How did it roll with slide out? Back tires off ground?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV rolled upright. Not sure what caused it to roll backwards down the hill. My slides were in.

A repair shop was working on replacing one of my rear hub seals. All I know is when I arrived to see my RV on a 35 degree angle I noticed there were no bolts in the rear hub assembly. I'm not sure if not having the hub bolts in would allow the unit to roll.?.

My auto park brake uses the drive shaft to secure the vehicle. I would think the park brake would have held the other side. So many unanswered questions.

I wonder if the rear axle could have been screwed up from rolling down the hill without the rear hub seal bolts in on one side.

What if the frame is fine but the box isn't? The collision repair shop can check my frame with special instruments. I doubt they can check the integrity of the box. The box has visible signs it was twisted.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the axle flange was not bolted to the hub then your driveshaft park brake would not work.

It’s time to get the shops insurance involved it’s their problem not yours from what you have described.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

With open differentials, not posi traction, If one axle is unbolted from the hub, the driveshaft type parking brake becomes useless.

The unbolted axle will spin one way as the wheel assemble on the opposite side would spin the other way. That's how differentials work.

Having the jacks down, bearing some weight, or even a chock behind a tire would have prevented this from happening.

Gross negligence .
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

yup, what twinboat said. Take pictures of the missing bolts.
Service department problem.

How long and how steep is the hill from where it was "parked" to where it grounded out?

It does sound like there is some significant damage. The slides were IN when the accident happened? And the slides were extended and now won't retract fully?
Did the slide make some scraping noises when it was moved? Were the body to slide gaps inspected for clearance before slides were moved? What does the slide look like when you say it looks twisted? How are you sure it's the slide and not the body? Post some pics.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With open differentials, not posi traction, If one axle is unbolted from the hub, the driveshaft type parking brake becomes useless.

The unbolted axle will spin one way as the wheel assemble on the opposite side would spin the other way. That's how differentials work.

Having the jacks down, bearing some weight, or even a chock behind a tire would have prevented this from happening.

Gross negligence .
Fortunately or not, this is 100% correct. However its difficult for me (or anyone) to give an informed opinion as to weather your unit is totaled or not. Whats the value, the EXACT extent of the damage, etc. Yea, call the ins co! The repair folks may be culpable.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

No I would not drive it! I would have it towed to a third party shop to have damage estimate performed.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Gross negligence .

^^^ THIS.

@IRV4fun... you need to talk to the repair shop manager or owner and get their insurance company involved. You may find it necessary to hire your own inspections for both the coach body and the chassis. It may also be prudent to have a chat with your attorney (but don't threaten the shop with a lawsuit - just sue them IF (and only if) it comes to that).
Old 09-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If the axle flange was not bolted to the hub then your driveshaft park brake would not work.

It’s time to get the shops insurance involved it’s their problem not yours from what you have described.
What he said.

The shop insurance (assuming they have any) needs to be in the middle. If you call your insurance they will likely contact the shop insurance company. Definitely some shop negligence involved based on your description.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all your responses. I've got the insurance people involved and the shop admits.

Could the roll down the hill with the rear axle hub unbolted cause damage to my rear axle? Sometimes these things don't show up immediately.

Was going to take my RV on a month long business trip. Now I have to stay in a hotel for about $80 more a night ($2,400.). Do you think the insurance company would consider these costs. I have proof I made my RV site reservation prior to the incident. To rent an RV it would cost $150 to $200 per day plus my site costs.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 AM   #14

This is one of those things you need to ask your lawyer
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote