Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsalone View Post
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to send you all a note to let you know I really appreciate all of the input and ideas I have received on this thread. On Monday, I'll be taking my coach to have the Cruiserlift Motorcycle Carrier installed on my 2007 Phaeton. I'll post some pictures, once everything is completed.

Best regards,

David
Hey David,
Good luck on your new venture. If I may, I'd like to offer just a tad more advice. I don't remember just what bike you're planning on hauling but, I suspect it's HEAVY. So, with that being said, I know you may have thought about this but, think again. If your bike hovers in the 900 lb. region, that is sitting still. When you're cruising along and happily carrying your toy, all is well. But, if and when you need to lay on those breaks in the coach, that 900 lb. bike really wants to continue forward motion. NOT GOOD!

So, just as some friendly advice, I'd highly think about adding some additional tie points on that lift for tie downs. Of course they will need to be stout. But, the stability of those bikes, on just about any of the makers, to me, is minimal. Yeah, folks pretty much make do but, I'm not one that likes to "make do". I need to be satisfied. I added some 2" x 4" steel tubing under the decking of my Hydralift at strategic places, to be able to add tie downs from the bike to those tie points.

It stiffened the the entire system phenomenally. It wasn't very much work either. This is just something that made me feel better. I know lots of Americas roads and, the stock tie downs on even the high priced Hydralift, were not enough for my assurance. Just something to think about. Again, good luck and have fun.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
A major consideration is how much more weight will a lift or rack and a motorcycle will put on your rear tires. I have a 200cc scooter that with a rack adds 450 pounds which puts my rear tires over the rated weight limit. Makes me wish I had a double axle and 6 or 8 tires on the rear of my diesel pusher motorhome. Also, gas motorhome frames may not be strong enough to safely hold over 1,000 pounds that a 650cc bike would add. DP frames are built much stronger to support the weight of a rear engine.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #31

Hey Scott,

thank you very much for the additional advice. I'm going to take a look and see where I can add some additional tie downs; my bike is a pretty heavy Harley Davidson (over 900lbs), so I do want to make sure it's not moving around too much back there during heavy braking.

Vagabond Jerry, my coach is equipped with a tag axle, so I do hope it adds some stability back there.

Best regards,

David
davidsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #32

Do get and use a rear camera. You will be amazed at the side to side sway of the bike. By watching the camera, you can make adjustments to your tie downs to minimize the movement.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #33

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know I finally got the Cruiserlift on my coach. I rode a little over 100 miles to get it installed, strapped my Harley down on it, and traveled home. I'm very pleased to have it on. Now, I'm working on my toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyCruiser1_133915_resized.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	236276   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyCruiser_133904_resized.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	236277  

Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #34

Again,

thank you all for your input!

Best regards,

David
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Again,

thank you all for your input!

Best regards,

David
Awesome stuff. Have a big time
rx4risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know I finally got the Cruiserlift on my coach. I rode a little over 100 miles to get it installed, strapped my Harley down on it, and traveled home. I'm very pleased to have it on. Now, I'm working on my toad.
David,
Well Sir, looks like you've got things all in order. While I myself, am not a fan of Cruiserlift (for my own reasons), it will work and work fine. Just remember to check all the tie-down points, related arms and welds where those tie-downs attach to on a very periodic basis. There's a phenomenal amount of stress on them as you decelerate with brakes. Acceleration is not too much of a problem as, most of our diesel coaches are not dragsters. America has in many cases, some (actually quite a few) less than perfect roads so, the effect of such roads taxes even the best of tie-down situations.

There's been times when I've hit pot holes, SEVERE concrete seams and ultra poor pavement jointery, and the instant I could, I pulled over and checked all those tie-downs and support arms. It wasn't too often but, there were some occasions. Be careful and enjoy your new situation.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Good choice - but you need to reposition your license plate to keep the police happy
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote