Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Motorhome Driver Reportedly Falls Asleep, Crashes Into Railing Near Vina

IN THE NEWS
Via Google RV Newsfeed
Red Bluff Daily News (blog)

Motorhome driver reportedly falls asleep, crashes into railing near Vina

Vina -- A 70-year-old man reportedly fell asleep at the wheel of a motorhome Thursday before he hit a metal rail at a railroad crossing on South Avenue at Rowles Road, causing his attached car trailer to veer into the path of an oncoming vehicle, which struck the trailer, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad he was not seriously injured!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Have you noticed that the media headlines for these type of incidences always starts with the age of the driver but only if their over 70. Have you seen any that started with "A 26 year old driver fell asleep ....." It's like were expected to be feeble and near dead or something.
Our prayers go out to both families and are so glad that no one was seriously hurt.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Have you noticed that the media headlines for these type of incidences always starts with the age of the driver but only if their over 70.
I think it has to do with training and experience when they are developing their careers. Some how it's almost like fishing. If the fish doesn't bite the worm with the 1st nibble, it's just going to be another fish story.

I'm not sure if there is an age break BTW because I know that many of us have had those afternoon yawns as we're covering those hundreds of repetitive miles. Even professional drivers fall asleep at the wheel it would seem with disastrous results. If we can individually recognize that it's happening and do something about it, that would be a good thing. I think a number of drivers however just want to close the distance and get off the road so you get those unfortunately that nod.

... and then there's always those medical reasons which can be as bad as narcolepsy to any number of other factors.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Have you noticed that the media headlines for these type of incidences always starts with the age of the driver but only if their over 70. Have you seen any that started with "A 26 year old driver fell asleep ....." It's like were expected to be feeble and near dead or something.

Yep, I've noticed that too. The media's unfair profiling and stereotyping of us "older folks" is frustrating. Exactly as you pointed out, if a lady in her sixties crashes through a storefront, the media without fail will preface the story with reference to her age. Is the intended suggestion supposed to be "old" people should not be driving?

Last week near where I live, a fellow drove, at high speed into a liquor store front. Nary a mention of his age, therefore I presume the media reporter did not consider his age to be newsworthy. They did mention that he had an odor of alcohol when the police arrested him. 😱
Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Future Driverless RVs

I can't wait for the same technology in development for driverless cars to make it into RVs.

I'll be 120 years old and just get into the RV, tell it to drive itself to the Grand Canyon while I go take a nap!

P.S. Note to self. Also tell it to stop in the parking lot at the Grand Canyon. No need to drive ALL THE WAY in ...
Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I can't wait for the same technology in development for driverless cars to make it into RVs.

I'll be 120 years old and just get into the RV, tell it to drive itself to the Grand Canyon while I go take a nap!

P.S. Note to self. Also tell it to stop in the parking lot at the Grand Canyon. No need to drive ALL THE WAY in ...
If it drives all the way in, the headlines will surely reference your age.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:

Back in the fifties when I first started reading Popular Mechanics there would be the typical "car of the future" articles. The prediction then was that by the 21st century all cars would have autopilots. Yeah, right !! I'm still waiting. The idyllic illustrations in the magazines showed families (including driver) riding in a car blissfully chatting and playing cards, or whatever.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Yeah! And the problem is when it is on voice control and you say, "Take me home," and forget to get in the vehicle.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

It would be quite interesting to know the percentage of RV crashes per 1,000 registered, compared to automobiles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I was intrigued by the accident time of 8:30am.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I was intrigued by the accident time of 8:30am.

Fred

You might be onto something there. Could be that the chap had been driving all night.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Press always likes to sensationalize all of their stories. Thank goodness the poor guy wasn't carrying a gun .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Have you noticed that the media headlines for these type of incidences always starts with the age of the driver but only if their over 70. Have you seen any that started with "A 26 year old driver fell asleep ....." It's like were expected to be feeble and near dead or something. Our prayers go out to both families and are so glad that no one was seriously hurt.
Yes, I have noticed that about almost all people. The media seems to start with or have some type of stereotype in the story.

Older person, age is listed first
Young male person, Police are investigating if there was alcohol involved
Young female person, texting may have been a factor in the accident
Caucasian male crime, drugs may be a factor in the crime
African American male, gang related

The list goes on.

These words of something similar are added to the story with no bases other than for filler or to sensationalize the story. I miss the days of old when a story was reported with fact and to the point. Today, some news stories have mis-information is released then retracted later. The news stations want to be the first to report something.

Stepping off my observation box....

Finally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, motorhome