Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome Fire

Has anyone heard about a Coach that burned in Arizona somewhere in the last week or so. I seen on Face book that a couple we know lost their new to them coach (Big Monaco) and Harley to a fire. I have watched a couple forums and haven't seen anything about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a recent News Article about a 2001 Monaco in AZ. The Desert Hills Fire Department fire crews worked the scene of a motorhome fire that caused $256,000 estimated damage Tuesday morning on eastbound Interstate 40 a few miles from the State Route 95 exit on I-40.
FULL ARTICLE w/PHOTO:
DHFD fights ‘stubborn’ RV fire on I-40 Tuesday - Havasu News: News

Engine fires are common in diesel pushers. Those with pushers should have their engines and compartment steamed cleaned regularly depending upon hours as a fire prevention measure. But also pusher owners should install a Engine Fire suppression system like the SS100/ SS200 Foam Vertical or Horizontal Extinguisher.
This 2 or 3 liter extinguisher is designed for mounting in the engine compartment.
It has two different dispensing head configurations for ease of mounting (specify 90degree as shown or straight head).
It has a 286°F temperature-triggered automatic firifiring head (Nascar specifications) and has a pressure monitor gauge.

http://macthefireguy.com/products

RVers who do not know Mac the Fire Guy should plan to attend a seminar of his when they can and ALSO check out his website and Safety Video's. They may save your life and others.http://macthefireguy.com/

Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Here is a recent News Article about a Monaco in AZ. The Desert Hills Fire Department fire crews worked the scene of a motorhome fire that caused $256,000 estimated damage Tuesday morning on eastbound Interstate 40 a few miles from the State Route 95 exit on I-40.
FULL ARTICLE w/PHOTO:
DHFD fights ‘stubborn’ RV fire on I-40 Tuesday - Havasu News: News

Anyone heard of what caused the fire. We are big on prevention and was wondering if this could have been prevented. Horribly sad thing it is...
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Doggy Daddy,

That's old news back in April 2013.

The article states that it started in the rear engine area.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #5

Engine fires are common in diesel pushers. Those with pushers should have their engines and compartment steamed cleaned regularly depending upon hours as a fire prevention measure. But also pusher owners should install a Engine Fire suppression system like the SS100/ SS200 Foam Vertical or Horizontal Extinguisher.

BS
Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post

BS
It is not BS. Fire statistics prove the two most common fires in RV's are diesel engine fires and Refrigerators (primarily Norcold). Check with MAC the Fire Guy if you don't believe me.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^^ Is it possible BS are the posters initials?? Looked that way to me.

Hard statistics on MH fires are available where exactly?
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/rv/RV-Fire-Safety.htm
email : mac@macthefireguy.com
Call (503) 559-7623
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

30 yrs in the fire service ; dp fires from the eng are incredibly rare. Almost always caused by electrical issue or exhaust issue ; like something touching that has moved. This is pure sensationalism. My humble opinion. Car fires on the other hand whether on purpose or not are as common as dirt and nobody gets excited about them.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy
Only a quick look but that site looks just like it did a year or two ago to me.

Anyone in their right mind takes fire seriously and Mac is the guy. Still looking for actual stats though. It is a tragedy when it happens - but happens less than one would be lead to believe.

Note - Amish replacement of 1210 and Halon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-297166448.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	55168
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Fires may be rare unless you are the one that it happens to. Better to be prepared than not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fire%20Extinguisher%20Project.pdf (156.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
30 yrs in the fire service ; dp fires from the eng are incredibly rare. Almost always caused by electrical issue or exhaust issue ; like something touching that has moved. This is pure sensationalism. My humble opinion. Car fires on the other hand whether on purpose or not are as common as dirt and nobody gets excited about them.

Hmmm.. let's think about this...

99.99999% of cars and trucks have the engine in front.
While one is driving - if a fire starts it blows - Hmmmm - backwards towards driver.
The fresh air vents also allow air - smells and whatnot to entire the passenger compartment.
The above can help a driver know that there is a fire happening and more times than not it is not those in a passing car that tells the driver such things.
Also a car or truck has more than one door or at least one door for each passenger to get out of "faster".

On the other hand:

DP and or GP = 100% have the engine in the back.
Drivers are taught to keep their eyes on the road while driving.
Driver of a DP or GP are usually the "last" to know they have an engine fire.
Why = cause the engine is in the back, they are mainly looking forward and the smells from a fire do not entire the MH as one is driving forward.
The driver is busy keeping an eye on the road and traffic conditions.
Plus a MH usually has one door while it has more than one or even two people travelling in it.
A DP or GP can have a mattress over the engine with sheets, blanket and clothes can be stored nearby and all that will fuel to a fire.

IMHO - A HM is a home - treat it as such & value those loved ones and pets in your life that are travelling with you!
Even if you don't value your own life and think a given fire or someone's agenda is "sensationalism". Life is short as it is and no one knows when our time is up!

It is cheap insurance to be prepared for a fire...
Heck all us mechanical guys spend lot of time and Money$$$$ doing or getting PM on our HMs...
It is silly, or call it stupid, to not do the same for that one possible fire you may or may not have in your HM!!!!

Tony
Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #13

Dont get me wrong ; no one knows more than me how serious it is. There are pics here of my motorhome that burned up at 2 am. I believe in being prepared but I'm not paranoid about what if. Of course I will never sleep in another mh with a norcold refer.
I think its because of my career why I have a different view than most.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies but this one happened in the last couple of weeks or so it said on face book.

Tags
motorhome