Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had two tires blow out at the same time on a travel trailer. The tires were smoking by the time I got stopped. Grabbed the RVIA approved toy fire extinguisher and hit them to cool them down.
I now carry 5 extinguishers spread around the coach, two inside and three outside on both sides in unlocked compartments.
The extinguisher that comes with RV's meets the specs but I'm not too impressed with the specs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
A lot of MH fires are in diesel pushers and start in the engine compartment. Cause is usually leaking fuel where flexible hosing connects to rigid metal. We added an automatic foam type suppression system a few years ago. It will at least give us time to pull over and get us, animals, and bug-out bag out. Also got a system for the refer compartment (and did recall).

Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought here...it seems that many RV fires have been caused by refrigerator problems and some have gone to a residential refrigerator in motorhomes. For those that have motorhomes with generators, why not just turn off the propane to the fridge and run it entirely on AC, eliminating the fire hazard? I would think that the food would stay cold while traveling if the door is not opened too much. Is there something I'm not thinking about that would make this a bad idea?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Another thought here...it seems that many RV fires have been caused by refrigerator problems and some have gone to a residential refrigerator in motorhomes. For those that have motorhomes with generators, why not just turn off the propane to the fridge and run it entirely on AC, eliminating the fire hazard? I would think that the food would stay cold while traveling if the door is not opened too much. Is there something I'm not thinking about that would make this a bad idea?
I don't think the problems associated with the most recent (and very large) Norcold recall was limited to just propane usage. I believe the cooling unit could overheat resulting in a cooling tube rupture and fire (the ammonia refrigerant is flammable).
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Some of the frig fires started while on AC power, primarily shore power from what I have read. Doesn't necessarily have to do with gas. It has to do with excessive heat and ammonia leaks in the cooling unit.

The recalls supposedly fixed that problem by re-positioning a sensor which shuts the frig off if there is too much heat in the pipe. Some of the recall fixes have failed, requiring a replacement of the recall "black box". I have a friend who recently went through this and his failed requiring another "black box". We had our recall done in Nov. 2010 and it has worked fine (looking for wood to knock on).

I do have a Halon fire extinguisher in the frig outside access area just in case. I also installed two additional exhaust fans in the chimney area to help get as much heat out as possible.

Don
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There does not seem to be any pattern concerinig the fires. It is a major issue with Norcold refrigerators and can happen at any time.
Many coach manufacturers are offering residential refrigerators as an option, And I would recomend one highly, especially if most camping is at RV parks.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, my Norcold died last weekend. It will be replaced with a residential. The cost is about the same so why not go withthe residential that give twice the capacity and will keep ice cream frozen.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Has Dometic had this overheating problem or is it just Norcold?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Fire Danger and Cleaning

Quote:
Is there something about MH's that make them more likely to catch fire? We are thinking about going to a MH and this bothers me.
As active and preemptive owners, I'd imagine your risk would be lower.

It seems cleaning and good maintenance play a part.

Anyone out there have a fire, even with careful maintenance and burner-cleaning practices, compliance with recalls?

(We rarely leave our dog in the coach alone, carry full insurance coverage)

One year with you all, and this is my 500th post. What a great forum you have. Thanks to everyone!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Has Dometic had this overheating problem or is it just Norcold?
To the best if my knowledge it with the Norcold only. I have not seen any posts regarding fires with Dometic.
Most of the reported fires and other problems have been with the 1200 series Norcold.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #25

I believe Dometic has had similar recalls.

Don
Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #26

Hi

There has been another "burn out" nr Phoenix in the last few weeks, Cause not confirmed but Seat of fire was in the Frig Area. I spoke to the owner at Quartszite. It was a "new to him" rig with no History.

So perhaps check if the recalls have been dealt with? before buying?

Pete
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #27

We just got the latest recall complied with our 1200 NorCold. Another sensor...we were told that NorCold is trying their best to correct the problems but that the installed(new) sensor sometimes is not compatible with the fridge's circuit boards and the fridge may shut down. "Bring it back and we try the other type sensor". Geez.

We have run this thing 24/7 on two different 5 month stretches and haven't had the first problem with it. Even in 115 deg. temps., this refrigerator has preformed flawlessly. I guess they'll keep messing around until something screws up.

I found out about this latest recall through my insurance carrier, so we had to have it C/W...otherwise, I would imagine that if there ever was a fire and they found out we did not have the recall done it would = no coverage. It's a little frustrating...Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I think we will be investing in more RVIA approved fire extingushers for MH and TT for added peace of mind. Our TT has a residential refrigerator and the MH a Dometic, which is scheduled to go in for the recall in a couple weeks.

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome