Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Motorhome insurance fears

We are fairly new to the world of RVing. I researched thoroughly before insuring our Country Coach with National General last year, as they gave us a good price. Boom....$400 increase this year, with no claims made. Shopped the market and went with progressive. BUT, after reading reviews about Progressive I am questioning my decision. BUT, reviews for Nat. GEN. are not good either. Good grief, is there any company that one can trust that has reasonable premium cost? What say you?
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
National General hasn't done that to me. The MH with them is much cheaper then the toad is. :( I have had National General since GS switched from GMAC and both since 2000.

Only claim so far was a passenger side windshield replacement. and that went smooth with no problem.

And it is easy to drop some coverage on the MH when at my winter spot for 6-7 months.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Allstate, when we're not traveling and the MH is sitting in our driveway, we turn the insurance off. This brings us down to less than $100 a year. Note that we carry liability only.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
BUT, after reading reviews about Progressive I am questioning my decision. BUT, reviews for Nat. GEN. are not good either.
Think about it. Who actually goes online and writes "positive" reviews about their insurance company???
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #5

Can't help with service/claims experiences but i will say that we've had Progressive since 2009 and haven't had much of an increase in premium cost. Less than $40 in 7 years.

Did make a mistake that is costing me though, i opted for high deductibles but didn't purchase the optional glass coverage. Had a rock chip that caused a crack to develop in my windshield a while back. I'm finally having the windshield replaced and it's costing over a grand, out of pocket. My deductible is higher.

My advice, make sure to see about getting the optional glass coverage if your deductible is high.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good grief, is there any company that one can trust that has reasonable premium cost? What say you?
I think the answer is "no". Premiums vary tremendously for individual reasons, insurer marketing program changess, and underwriting concerns. The only real answer is to shop around every couple of years, and sooner if rates change
dramatically. There is no single company that is always good for all customers, or always lowest priced.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Give Geico a call. I have had them for many years and have had several claims for our cars and super satisfied with the claims/payment service they have provided.

Now they did attempt to raise my premiums last year so I called and told them to lower them or I'm moving, and to my surprise they reduced my premiums by 20% for the same coverage.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

Have had Progressive since we started RV'ing in 2008, never incurred a hike in premium......[emoji106]
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
We are fairly new to the world of RVing. I researched thoroughly before insuring our Country Coach with National General last year, as they gave us a good price. Boom....$400 increase this year, with no claims made. Shopped the market and went with progressive. BUT, after reading reviews about Progressive I am questioning my decision. BUT, reviews for Nat. GEN. are not good either. Good grief, is there any company that one can trust that has reasonable premium cost? What say you?
Go to AAA. You'll be glad you did.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have National Interstate and they bumped my premium $400/yr. Two weeks later they sent a letter saying that they are not renewing policies as they come due, thanks for your business, yack,yack, and that they are rewriting the policy under the Safeco brand.

Looking at National General as a replacement
Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

I have a friend with National Interstate and he was lucky to pay his annual prem. before the increase...but was told what you have stated. I was with National General for the past year, but they hit me with a $400 increase. Shopped around and signed up with Progressive. But then ran into some very neg reviews on them...but also found neg reviews on other company's too. We use our coach on a limited basis, so our annual cost isn't that bad. Comp only most of the year......or storage cost.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Progressive when I was caught in a tornado in Dakota City Nebraska. It was totaled when the top half of the huge cottonwood tree we were under twisted off and drilled the roof. Progressive sent an adjuster out and paid very quickly.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had Nationwide, but they jacked the premium 30% with no claims; said it was due to other losses - like, that's my fault? "YOU"RE FIRED", I replied, and then went with Progressive for USAA Members. New policy was stronger and 10% cheaper than Nationwide's policy last year.

In Utah, we have to maintain liability at state limits to keep the registration; drop the liability, and turn in your plates. I leave it all in place so we can take the mh out on a moments notice. We carry full coverage all year.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

We have Safeco. Just got the renewal in the mail today. The annual premium went up $9.

Tags
insurance, motorhome