Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #15

I read Motorhome. The articles are designed to pique our interest and the advertising is to make them ad money. Knowing their affiliation with GS and CW I tend to take their advice articles with a grain of salt. Here are othe great sources to learn the ropes without have to patronize them. This site has given me more tips than a ten yr subscription of Motorhome will. Travel articles are good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camping World/Good Sam at work....not sure we'll renew.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Personally, I still like the magazine when it shows up at my door.LOL..] [.....
Agree!
and: I am not at all surprised that a magazine put out by Affinity/Good Sam/Camping World et al tends to advertize and support those entities. There's enough "meat" (tech, travels and reviews) left to make it worthwhile. Just renewed today!!!
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW.... if you go over to RV.NET (which I believe is the larges on-line rv forum) you will see that they have a special forum just for those who have had trouble with any of Good Sam offerings....and the CEO will even some times come right back to you with help of some sort. If he doesn't, he has a group of people who monitor the Good Sam forums on RV.NET who will contact you very quickly and ask you to contact them with and and all details of your complaint.

You don't see Coach Net doing this.

I have had both (Coach Net and Good Sam), and have found them equally as good and bad. However, with Good Sam you can have almost immediate attention to your problem.

As for Motorhome Mag... yeah, lots of GS advertisements, but it also has a lot of good information in it. FMCA also puts out a motor home magazine that ironically is geared more towards Coach Net.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just let a free subscription to Motorhome magazine lapse. It had some good articles. However, the thing that turned me off was their RV Buying Guide only had brands that advertised in their magazine.Seems biased to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I get it and just renewed my subscription but................ but I know of no other company that puts out so much junk mail.
If you haven't already, check out Workamper News! They are constantly shilling "essential" services, "crucial" seminars, all sorts of stuff and crap. I got so fed up I let them drop after one year, then realized that their daily email "hotline" was the only part I valued, and worth the annual fee to me. So I re-upped but set my configs carefully to avoid the crap.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #21

I take both mag's (Motorhome and FMCA) and read them every month. The first thing I do is toss the cover, and all of the flyers that are inside. I read the equipment articles for what they are - advertisements. I read the articles on RV's the same - by people paid to show all good and no questionable, problematic or bad issues. I like the travel articles and we have used them quite a few times. As for Coach-Net we have had it for years. We have used it very successfully and have got our money back more than once. GS Road service may be good also but I have no experience with it. As for Camping World - well they are no longer the best place to purchase equipment or supplies. I did try to price a new Thor Tuscany at one this winter and could not believe the distorted price they were asking. All my other quotes were many thousands less.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Yeah, I read Motorhome, and there are some good tips once in a while. And often there is some good travel info.

The worst articles are the motorhome reviews (hardly road tests). They never reviewed a motorhome they didn't like. Every coach is at the forefront of design, offering more at a price point, etc. Never do they mention (obviously) dumb design or engineering. Never have I read that a given coach handles poorly, or the rear overhang is excessive, or ... Never do they give you information such as OCCC or tow capacity.

I just take it for it is -- the only game in town.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #23

Most of their reviews are vendor supplied press releases. I look at the pictures then toss them out.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Is anyone else unhappy about the recent decision to NOT allow us to download a .pdf version of the magazine? I was told this decision was made to control people sharing .pdf copies with their friends, thus reducing the number of subscribers! Guess I don't understand the difference in sharing a .pdf copy or a hard copy with friends. The reason I subscribed in the first place was a friend gave me several copies of the magazine and I liked what I read. (Several years ago)
Looks like Motorhome has discovered one more way to alienate subscribers and force us to not renew!
I totally understand why they discontinued pdfs. A pdf can be shared by a hundred people in minutes all around the country. A printed copy can't. The publisher has to protect his revenue or he will go out of business.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtigermp View Post
I am going to try the bogo deal. I used to be a member of FMCA and maybe they can let me use my old number.
once a member, you always keep the same number if you rejoin
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I get it and just renewed my subscription but................I realize the slant towards Good Sams and CW and read the magazine in that light. (I take the Good Sams cover off the magazine when I get it!!) Otherwise, I do pick up some ideas and places to explore, gadgets that exist and a preview of the new MH's coming out without having to go to a dealership. As a side note, we have Good Sams road side asst. We've had to use it twice and it's been great, but I know of no other company that puts out so much junk mail.
Credit card companies are even worse. I get a credit card offer in tyhe mail about every day
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I totally understand why they discontinued pdfs. A pdf can be shared by a hundred people in minutes all around the country. A printed copy can't. The publisher has to protect his revenue or he will go out of business.
EXACTLY why I wrote this message in the first place. I wanted to get opinions from those that actually subscribe to the magazine. From the comments I have read so far it appears more people are unhappy with not having a download capability, to the point of not renewing their subscription, than have talked about the possibility of someone sending a .pdf to a large group of people. I would like to think that the RVers I have encountered are honest folks that would not send a .pdf to everyone they know. I have sent three of my first time RVing friends a .pdf copy in the past and 2 of them subscribed.

I keep my old .pdf issues for future reference to the tech articles. We do not have space in our RV for a stack of 100 old magazines!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #28

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Yeah, I read Motorhome, and there are some good tips once in a while. And often there is some good travel info.

The worst articles are the motorhome reviews (hardly road tests). They never reviewed a motorhome they didn't like. Every coach is at the forefront of design, offering more at a price point, etc. Never do they mention (obviously) dumb design or engineering. Never have I read that a given coach handles poorly, or the rear overhang is excessive, or ... Never do they give you information such as OCCC or tow capacity.

I just take it for it is -- the only game in town.
You nailed it! Every review is a joke and that goes for Trailer Life as well as Motorhome. I have seen them gush over a big brand name 19' trailer that had 300# of CCC. They raved about an SUV trailer combo that put the SUV well over its GVWR. The latest joke was their review of the Winnebago Trend, what a piece of junk. Just look at the numbers for this thing, 3.6L gas v-6, 24 gallon tank, single rear wheel, 1100# of CCC and they want $90,000?

I too enjoy reading through MH but take out the GS/CW adds, the BS reviews and it just doesn't take more than one trip to the can to go cover to cover.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome