Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome magazine OOOPS this month

they had a few ooops this month that were different

I should tell them about breaking camp and being distracted from a passer by conversationalist.....ooops goes the checklist and things get "not done"

we were leaving last time from homebase and my parents friends from Australia stopped by to say bye as they were leaving for the airport in a few hours.

I was busy putting away the power cord, water and other home base hook ups.
Started up the big girl and let her air up, then i came in and raised the jacks and went back outside to finish up before we rolled out.
this would be the time i normally remove the jack blocks we use at home from under the bus.
our home blocks are 8" tall and 12 x12" wide, so i can air down and only have to lower the jacks about 2",
less wiggle if you will
so now i am stopped as i exit the bus and the visitor wants to chat a bit.
so 5 or so minutes go by and he leaves...I re-enter the bus and prepare to roll out to the street. My trusty DW is guiding me and off comes the parking brakes and select D. now to roll out as i have done so many times
long straight then a sharp 90 at the street. But this time i get about halfway across the driveway and the bus STOPS rather fast.
I instantly remember the front jack blocks...must be caught on the inner dual. I have done it once before. So i shift to reverse so i can roll back and then go out and pull the blocks.
But NOOOOOO she is not moving.
So i apply the parking brake and exit. As I open the door i am hit with burnt rubber smell....omg i think
I quickly look under the coach and see my front blocks are now acting like small LIFTS and have wedged themselves under both trailing arms and my tires are just touching the concrete... hence the burnt rubber smell.
So i run back in and dump the bags, and raise the rear of the coach with the leveliing jacks.
then i had to go fetch the floor jack and lift each side a bit to allow the blocks to slid free....imagine a shackled up 70's street racer...low nose and high rear.

after that it was a normal trip..i had my one ooops of the trip
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Being "Old School" and just plain old, I use the RV Checklist on my iPad... it places a check mark next to each item as I check them off... last thing I do before releasing the parking brake is reconfirm all check lists are complete... can't tell you how many times that action has saved me from myself!!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Stealth, can you post that checklist. I too use the ipad and it sounds like a great idea.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mike,
PM me with an email address and I'll forward you the checklist for the APP.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #5

mikeh2obury@yahoo.com

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

Next time don't forget to take some pictures.

We once missed a plastic chock block and backed over it. Exploded with a bang! We now have hard rubber chock blocks.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #7

Thanks Stealth for mentioning the Rv checklist App. I downloaded it to my Smart phone and modified it to fit my personal needs.
In the past I have often drove out of campgrounds or even my driveway and wondered "did I remember everything".

Recommend everyone to try it, easy to use and simple to modify to suit your own needs
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
harbor freight sells some nice hard rubber chocks at a great price.

Tags
motorhome