Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

Motorhome Selection--Can't afford to get it wrong!

First off, I tried searching this topic, but the keywords are so common I really didn't find anything I could use in the 7,000+ results. I apologize as I suspect this topic is not uncommon.

I have been a member for several years, but my frequent military moves have kept us from camping much so I've been pretty inactive.

We have had several popups and larger travel trailers over the years, but we're now considering moving up to a motorhome.

I have a highly modified Jeep CJ that we take to offroad parks several times a year towing it on my 25' gooseneck. I have considered putting a popup on the front of the gooseneck, but it just isn't the level of "camping luxury" my wife is interested in anymore.

We have a 34' travel trailer right now (pending sale) with a king bed and a bunkhouse, and are looking to replicate that setup in a coach.

I need at least 6,500-7,000 pounds towing capacity for the Jeep or our heavy hybrid minivan that has to be trailered or dolly towed.

Our budget is around $100,000, so I've been looking at the Thor Super C 35SB diesel (~2015), Thor Hurricane 34J gas (~2016-2018), and various diesel pushers in the 2008-2010 timeframe.

My concerns with each of these options:

Thor Super C: great layout and F550 chassis/engine combo, BUT reports of numerous full wall slide issues; my perception from looking at Thor units is their quality leaves something to be desired.

Thor Hurricane 34J: Great layout, I can get a 1-2 year old model for ~$80,000, BUT same Thor quality control concerns and even though the newer models are rated for 8,000 pounds towing, it's a gas engine. I tow with a diesel truck now and I'm not sure I want to drive a rig that heavy with a gasoline engine.

Older diesel pushers: These tend to be unicorns with the interior layout we want and the price point we're in. I really won't be able to be thoroughly familiar with each model, and I'll probably have to travel a distance to look/purchase. Also, buying an 8-10 year old coach is concerning. It seems like many of these are very low mileage which at first seems like a plus, but I know vehicles that sit often develop problems. 2008-2010 seems like the time when many manufacturers were first starting to slap on DPFs and various exhaust after-treatment systems that were more or less reliable.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I know there are real pros and cons to each. The optimal solution would be to up the budget to about $150,000 and get a newer diesel pusher, but I don't think that is an option for us in the near future.

Cheers,
Case Garrison
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Bubba View Post
First off, I tried searching this topic, but the keywords are so common I really didn't find anything I could use in the 7,000+ results. I apologize as I suspect this topic is not uncommon.

I have been a member for several years, but my frequent military moves have kept us from camping much so I've been pretty inactive.

We have had several popups and larger travel trailers over the years, but we're now considering moving up to a motorhome.

I have a highly modified Jeep CJ that we take to offroad parks several times a year towing it on my 25' gooseneck. I have considered putting a popup on the front of the gooseneck, but it just isn't the level of "camping luxury" my wife is interested in anymore.

We have a 34' travel trailer right now (pending sale) with a king bed and a bunkhouse, and are looking to replicate that setup in a coach.

I need at least 6,500-7,000 pounds towing capacity for the Jeep or our heavy hybrid minivan that has to be trailered or dolly towed.

Our budget is around $100,000, so I've been looking at the Thor Super C 35SB diesel (~2015), Thor Hurricane 34J gas (~2016-2018), and various diesel pushers in the 2008-2010 timeframe.

My concerns with each of these options:

Thor Super C: great layout and F550 chassis/engine combo, BUT reports of numerous full wall slide issues; my perception from looking at Thor units is their quality leaves something to be desired.

Thor Hurricane 34J: Great layout, I can get a 1-2 year old model for ~$80,000, BUT same Thor quality control concerns and even though the newer models are rated for 8,000 pounds towing, it's a gas engine. I tow with a diesel truck now and I'm not sure I want to drive a rig that heavy with a gasoline engine.

Older diesel pushers: These tend to be unicorns with the interior layout we want and the price point we're in. I really won't be able to be thoroughly familiar with each model, and I'll probably have to travel a distance to look/purchase. Also, buying an 8-10 year old coach is concerning. It seems like many of these are very low mileage which at first seems like a plus, but I know vehicles that sit often develop problems. 2008-2010 seems like the time when many manufacturers were first starting to slap on DPFs and various exhaust after-treatment systems that were more or less reliable.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I know there are real pros and cons to each. The optimal solution would be to up the budget to about $150,000 and get a newer diesel pusher, but I don't think that is an option for us in the near future.

Cheers,
Case Garrison

Be patient and weight on the unicorn. If you are towing with a diesel now you will hate the high revving gutless gas feel. We had a class A gas for one season and sold it. Also, regardless of what anyone says, if a class A is not on air ride (typically only found on a diesel pusher) it will ride and handle like a lumber wagon.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Perhaps a 5th wheel toy hauler would fill the bill? Very luxurious interiors and the garage doubles as a bunkhouse/patio/large dining room.

Might challenge the budget though with having to purchase a 3500 series truck to haul it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #4

he needs to tow 7g for jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Perhaps a 5th wheel toy hauler would fill the bill? Very luxurious interiors and the garage doubles as a bunkhouse/patio/large dining room.

Might challenge the budget though with having to purchase a 3500 series truck to haul it.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Keep looking. It took me two years to find out Excursion to pull our 2010 Jeep Wrangler. It was two years old when we bought it.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Don’t give up on the older class A diesel pushers. Finding the right one can take awhile but a good one will give you plenty towing power and comfort. Our coach is 16 years old, we have owned it 4 years and so far it has treated us well.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

I went through this a few years ago...newer questionable quality vs. older high quality. I chose the latter and bought a 2004 Bluebird M380. It was a fantastic coach. When we sold it after three years to go back to boating for a while I got what I paid for it.

There are several nice ones at https://www.buybyebluebird.com/ that might be what you are looking for.

They all come with an absolutely super support group called the Wanderlodge Owners Group.

I recently went south to a Class C because I was out voted by DW when I told her I was going for another bird when the boat sold.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

I'd hold out for a DP and stay away from anything with the THOR name unless you want to be a regular at your dealer. Most DP's have a 10k tow rating and some, like the Revolution have a 15k tow rating.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post

I’ve swapped my CJ to full width pickup truck axles. I don’t think even the largest toy haulers will fit the monster in its current form :( Also, my current truck is only 2 years old and doesn’t have the pin weight or towing capacity for a monster 5er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
he needs to tow 7g for jeep
Yes, with the CJ or minivan on a trailer, I’m looking at almost 7,000 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin View Post
Keep looking. It took me two years to find out Excursion to pull our 2010 Jeep Wrangler. It was two years old when we bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Don’t give up on the older class A diesel pushers. Finding the right one can take awhile but a good one will give you plenty towing power and comfort. Our coach is 16 years old, we have owned it 4 years and so far it has treated us well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I'd hold out for a DP and stay away from anything with the THOR name unless you want to be a regular at your dealer. Most DP's have a 10k tow rating and some, like the Revolution have a 15k tow rating.
Thanks folks. It seems like the consensus is that a gas engine Class A is probably not going to make us happy in the long run. I just need to find out what things (2008 CAT C7 engine, perhaps?) to stay away from in a used motor home. I’ll definitely take a look at the Bluebird buses.

Ironically, I was digging through some of my old stuff on this forum and found a strikingly similar post I wrote on the 4th of July exactly 4 Year’s ago. At least I’m consistent
Old 07-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like you have a need to trailer your CJ and you also have a family car. How do you plan on handling that?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like you have a need to trailer your CJ and you also have a family car. How do you plan on handling that?
We wouldn’t be trying to tow both at once. The CJ we tow for off-road club events. Typically we camp at the parks and there are plenty of folks with trucks if we need a lift that the CJ won’t accommodate.

The minivan would be our toad for other family camping trips. Since I have a trailer for the CJ, I figured I’d use it for the van also. Chrysler Pacificas can’t be flat towed, so it’s either the existing trailer or buy a tow dolly as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
We wouldn’t be trying to tow both at once. The CJ we tow for off-road club events. Typically we camp at the parks and there are plenty of folks with trucks if we need a lift that the CJ won’t accommodate.

The minivan would be our toad for other family camping trips. Since I have a trailer for the CJ, I figured I’d use it for the van also. Chrysler Pacificas can’t be flat towed, so it’s either the existing trailer or buy a tow dolly as well.
Thanks...sometimes I think too much like a full timer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
I’ve swapped my CJ to full width pickup truck axles. I don’t think even the largest toy haulers will fit the monster in its current form :( Also, my current truck is only 2 years old and doesn’t have the pin weight or towing capacity for a monster 5er.

Yes, with the CJ or minivan on a trailer, I’m looking at almost 7,000 pounds.

Thanks folks. It seems like the consensus is that a gas engine Class A is probably not going to make us happy in the long run. I just need to find out what things (2008 CAT C7 engine, perhaps?) to stay away from in a used motor home. I’ll definitely take a look at the Bluebird buses.

Ironically, I was digging through some of my old stuff on this forum and found a strikingly similar post I wrote on the 4th of July exactly 4 Year’s ago. At least I’m consistent
a lot of the reasons I went with the DP just a couple months ago. needed something that I can also haul around my 74 bronco mostly trail rig and the boat.Tthe MH is older but has and does everything I nee it to
Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We looked for two years, just finding what we wanted and buying it last week. They are out there, you just have to be diligent, patient and willing to jump in when you find it. That was the hardest part for me - we stumbled on to ours at a dealer when we just stopped in to look around. A week later I had spent 80k! It wasn’t easy to do but it was the right opportunity for the right rig.

I restricted my searches to coaches that fit a certain criteria - manufacturer, diesel,length etc...

You definitely want a diesel pusher IMHO...

We found a 2006 in immaculate condition - they are out there :-)
smp005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, motorhome