Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Motorhome Slideouts

How many problems do motorhomes have with slide outs. With leaking, slide motors going out, sagging, greasing runners, ect.. Is the longer a slide out is the more problems your going to have? Are slide outs built better on diesels or gas motorhomes A's & C's. Any other info on slide out problems much appreciated.
May contact me here on thread or at maddogspaz@yahoo.com
Thanks
R. Lewis
maddogspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!

We have a full wall slide running on the Schwink triple trac system and had zero problems mechanically. The only issue is when it's cold and wind blows and it comes in along the bottom. I use an old thin soft blanket stuck under the bottom.
A Google search for RV slide problems will get you a couple of weeks reading.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You’ll get lots of responses to this question. Slideouts are wonderful and problematic at the same time. There are many kinds of slideout mechanisms and some seem to work better than others. In general, I think hydraulic slides are better than electric slides. Under mount “ram-style” seem generally better, too. And yes, longer slides can be more problematic..

You’ll find people with problems for each kind. And those lucky folks with no issues.

In my experience RVs from before 2014 seem to be less trouble as they were newer and manufacturers were taking care to build them hefty. Somewhere around that time many manufacturers were sold on the idea of slim Schwintec slides that use small electric motors and tiny side mounted “gears.” These have been the most trouble. Finally, in 2017 manufacturers seemed to get the picture and started using better systems.

Also, in general more expensive RVs have usually come with better slideout mechanisms.

Others may disagree with my assessment here, but this has been my experience.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an issue with my long slide and it was taken care of by Winnebago. There was a three year stretch I think between 2012-2015 that the Schwintek slides mechanism was failing due to tight tolerances in the slide tracks. To fix mine all they did was to replace the track with a floating track and I haven't had an issue since. All new units have the upgraded tracks. The slides make a difference especially when you go on a longer trip (days) and when you have quite a few people. You will appreciate the extra room. Regarding leaks, etc. I haven't had a problem with leaks. Once in a while I will notice light coming in and found that the rubber seal was not flat. You can wax the side of the slide so the rubber seals better and you can treat the rubber with a rubber cleaner. Like anything else it is part of the routine mantenance. Don't let whether the RV has a slide or not change your mind. Figure out what you want and then hone in on whether that specific year RV had problems. There are many different slide manufacturers and several different ways the slides retract. I have three Slide and two retract differently from the third one. Nothing wrong with differences I think it simply has to do with weight, length, etc. Good question but you really need to narrow it down to RV model and/or slide model to get an answer that will be really helpful.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

The biggest determining factor is probably the maker of the slide system. I am a fan of the earlier Newmar system.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

There are numerous posts on slides good and bad. Newmar electric slides are their cog and rail system. We’re starting our third season with our Canyon Star with three slides, the driver’s side slide being a FWS. The FWS on ours incorporates two electric motors with rails and cogs. We always use Newmar’s prescribed procedures for extending and retracting and preventative maintenance procedures. We also insist on a fairly level camp site. To date we’ve had zero slide issues and no noticeable air or water intrusion. The three slides on our 3513 really open up the livable area.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had no problems with our 4 slides on our coach over the last year.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

From talking with other RVers over the years and from our experience with our Newmar motorhome which we used for 8 years of full-timing with constant travel, I think Newmar has (or had) the best slide rack & pinon mechanism. We had zero issues with it. I think they have now gone to a different system.

Mahlon Miller of Newmar invented the first slides in 1990 and Newmar was the first to have flat floor slides.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Problems with my motor home slide outs:

Day 1, slide goes out and will not move back in. Problem was the controller was bad. Lesson learned was figuring out the layers/maze of warranty coverage. Dealership, nope! Manufacturer, sorta! Had to wait 4 months for an appointment with their service center over 100 miles away and then wait longer for parts sourced from an outside vendor. Meanwhile, the slide is hanging out!!!! So. Internet e-learning on how to get the slide back in.

Problem 2, slide seals up nicely on 3 of 4 surfaces. Really!, the 4th surface doesn’t matter? Manufacturing company line “that is how we make this model” lessons learned, go to the hardware store and purchase supplies to finish manufacturing motor home.

Problem 3, left slide motor stops working. Lesson learned, remove 3 layers of trim (about 500 drill screws) to clean micro connections at motor. Yes, they are using toy train motors for moving slides.

I can foresee the day when people just seal off their slides or highly modify the mechanism.

What you get with a slide:

A little extra room. Very cool.

Micro electronics for controls. Gears. Tracks. Rollers. Hardware. Seals. Motors. Covers. Extra trim. Flexing issues when parked un-level.

Anyway, we use them, love them and hate them.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

We specifically hunted for our first motorhome based on # of slides. We wanted 3 things--1. excellent wheelbase/length ratio. 2. no slides. 3. ability to tow a reasonable amount.

Those 3 criteria were all based on what we do with the motorhome--2 people using it as sleeping quarters for when we go 4-wheeling. We needed to be able to tow our toys, and have a simple design that doesn't quit working after driving on uneven roads and parking on uneven pads.

That list of requirements left us with pretty much 1 motorhome to pick from--the Winnie 25B. Since buying it, we've realized that you would be hard pressed to sleep any more than 4, and you really probably don't want more than 2 for longer trips. I can't figure out if I made the right choice on the slide piece. I love the simplicity, especially on the very rough roads some of our offroad parks have. But even an extra foot of width would make a huge difference in space.

In our RV, everything works. And anything you place on the floor is something you need to now climb over. If you bring as many coolers with you as we do, you'll be tripping all over them, underway or parked.

Edit--if you've ever spent any time on boats at the lake, think of it this way. Our no-slide rv packs gear like a fiberglass runabout boat. As in, everything needs stowed, or you can't move around. These RVs with a bunch of slides probably feel more like a houseboat (after parking)--all extra space, with much fewer bottlenecks. However, when it comes to simplicity and cost of repairs, my runabout is much more basic and rugged than the houseboat.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had slides on trailers and now a motorhome for probably 15 or more years. In that time we have never had a problem with a slide, and we hauled those trailers all over the west, many times of very rough roads. The vast majority of people never do have a problem. Those who do post about it. However the newer slide manufacturers will provide information about how to retract slides manually if something happens. For the payoff in terms of livability, I wouldn’t let the fear of a slide malfunction keep me away from slides. If you do decide you don’t want any slides, you will be looking at older rigs or very small units. Your choice.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had RVs (nearly all types) with slides for 19 years. Never had a problem with them including leaks. Usually used more than 100 nights a year to full time in mostly short stays all over the country. The only problem we had is with a pretty large shinwek system in our MH. It never failed to go in or out but sounded like it would. Have not had any trouble since it was changed too the floating slimline upgrade. Like that system since it allows more storage underneath. Have not, and would not consider an RV without slides.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One other important thing to check before you buy anything with slides , is the access you have to things with slides in. Check with slides in, don’t talk someone’s word. For us, access to bathroom and fridge was critical even with slides in.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #14

I have also had multiple campers with slide outs. The only issue I have ever had with them is a chilly draft in the winter. No leaks, no sags, no breaks.

The scariest part about slide outs is a google search. Nobody ever starts a thread with the title "Help! My slide out works perfectly!".

Generally speaking, modern slide outs are reliable. Like anything else to do with a motorhome, maintenance is key to assuring this.

There are four main types of slide mechanisms: Cable, Rack and Pinion, Power Gear, and Schwintek.
Cable and Rack and Pinion can be used for flush mount slides. (slides that go out and down to bring the floor surface even with the main floor).
Schwintek and Power Gear are raised, because they go straight out.

Most slide mechanisms are electrical, though some rigs with 3 or 4 slides will use a hydraulic rack and pinion system.

Schwintek got a bad rep early on because manufacturers chose to overload a slide (heavy sofa's, refrigerators, etc.). This mechanism is meant to be used in shallow, light slides.

I would venture to say that most slide failures has more to do with the RV manufacturers application than it does with the maker of the mechanism.

Tags
motorhome, slide, slideout