Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome storage options...opinions wanted

We have two homes now and our main residence is in a HOA that has no RV storage options. My coach is stored/parked at our now vacation home (which we will likely sell in a couple of years) which is 150 miles away. I really want to get the coach closer to where we will live 9 months of the year.

I have tried for 6 months to find any covered storage in my area without success. There are a number of 'storage' places with outdoor RV/boat storage, none with electric. I did find an RV park with a barn with dirt floor that charges $250 per month plus you pay for electric if you use it. It is one hour away from my home.

The son of a friend/former employer has 10 acres of land that is a 10 minute drive from me. He is willing to let me park the coach on his land (near his house and next to his own carport) for about $100 per month. I would bear the cost of hauling in some stone to make a pad for the coach and to enlarge his existing gravel driveway so I can maneuver the coach onto the space. I may also erect a RV port (my expense of course) and he is willing to let me add a 50 amp service (running from his house) with me paying for whatever electric I use. The agreement would be that if I decide to remove the coach, sell the coach, or otherwise stop storing it there, he gets to keep the RV port.

These are good people who have built a home there and plan to stay many years. Security would not be an issue.

I considered buying some land and putting up a building but I just don't think that makes financial sense at this point in my life.

If my estimates for the RV port, stone, costs for electric install, and monthly rent are close, over a ten year period I would save about $5K over the cost of the $250 per month plus electric at the RV park... and it is a 10 minute drive vs. one hour.

What am I missing? Is this something I should consider?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

What

I would sell the house in the house and buy something that better suited my needs

Chris

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Go for it. The convenience you are buying will be priceless. But you need a written lease that can be recorded. Things happen. Divorces, job loss, repossession. You want to know that you will have this arrangement even if some misfortune befalls the owner of the property.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Go for it. The convenience you are buying will be priceless. But you need a written lease that can be recorded. Things happen. Divorces, job loss, repossession. You want to know that you will have this arrangement even if some misfortune befalls the owner of the property.
If I decide to go this route, I would definitely have a written lease. I certainly don't want , for example, a new wife who 'hates the big ugly thing in the driveway' causing problems down the road.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

I just spent 60 large to buy a storage condo for the boat in the winter and the coach in the summer when we are at home which isn't that much. It is a heated unit with 50 amp electric and I pick up the utilities and taxes. The facility has restrooms, dump and a wash rack. Association fees are $300/yr
Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisancher View Post
What

I would sell the house in the house and buy something that better suited my needs

Chris
We may sell the second home later. Not ready now. It is on a beautiful lake in SW Virginia and we lived there for nearly 20 years. There are still fish to be caught . And, I let family members use it for vacations so we are in no hurry to sell it.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
$100 a month for a gravel pad that you're going to help pay for strikes me as pretty steep. I live in the metro Detroit area - and pay $600 a year for a spot for our 44' coach. It's a gravel parking lot with 24 hour accessibility via a card operated gate. There are security cameras up and operating around the lot. It's less than a mile from my house. We selected this lot because of the location - but there are numerous others at rough the same sort of pricing.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #8

We keep ours at our house, and it is very convenient. A 10 minute drive wouldn't be too bad, and $100 a month for outside storage is about the going rate here in California. My only concern would be putting $5000 into the rocks/cover ect. If it were me I would probably keep it at the vacation home, if it is already all set up. It may be a couple hours away, but at least you could keep everything there to work on it/get it ready for trips and have a nice to stay while doing so.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

SpaceNorman
I am in the Detroit area. Where do you store your coach.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsuperio View Post
SpaceNorman
I am in the Detroit area. Where do you store your coach.
Thanks
soundsuperio
I store mine in Wisconsin... outside... at my house... connected to 15A shore power... (but nowhere near Detroit).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

We pay $60 per month for gated blacktop parking, with water, sewer and vehicle washing access included, plus park security.

This is in a mobile home park, in a California city of 70,000 people in a county with 1.5 million people.

Land here is fairly expensive.

Check out your local mobile home communities for access to their storage lot.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

The son of a friend/former employer has 10 acres of land that is a 10 minute drive from me. He is willing to let me park the coach on his land (near his house and next to his own carport) for about $100 per month. I would bear the cost of hauling in some stone to make a pad for the coach and to enlarge his existing gravel driveway so I can maneuver the coach onto the space. I may also erect a RV port (my expense of course) and he is willing to let me add a 50 amp service (running from his house) with me paying for whatever electric I use. The agreement would be that if I decide to remove the coach, sell the coach, or otherwise stop storing it there, he gets to keep the RV port.

If my estimates for the RV port, stone, costs for electric install, and monthly rent are close, over a ten year period I would save about $5K over the cost of the $250 per month plus electric at the RV park... and it is a 10 minute drive vs. one hour.

What am I missing? Is this something I should consider?
You may want to consider offering to pay for all of that but you don't pay $100/mo until after you recover your investment.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
What is reasonable for storage depends highly on the location. Around here, covered storage is nearly unavailable and costs $400/mo and up. A hundred miles up the road, it is half that price. In other parts of the country, you get can indoor storage for less than that. It all depends on where you are.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What is reasonable for storage depends highly on the location. Around here, covered storage is nearly unavailable and costs $400/mo and up. A hundred miles up the road, it is half that price. In other parts of the country, you get can indoor storage for less than that. It all depends on where you are.
So true. I have a friend who stores his coach in a secured storage facility (outside) in SC for $30 per month. Here in the Richmond, VA metro area I can find few outdoor storage facilities with space and most charge $100 per month. One RV service facility offers storage on a gravel/dirt lot with no real security for $75 month. One facility has some bays under a carport of sorts but none are available and they are $150 per month with no electric.

Tags
motorhome, storage