Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
To me, there's a distinct difference between "impeding traffic" and simply being at the head of the line - and it's not defined simply by the presence of vehicles to the rear...

...I have an obligation to drive such that I'm not impeding traffic - I have no such obligation to "get out of the way" of those who wish I wasn't in ahead of them.
Very sensible post.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #30

You can never drive fast enough to not have someone driving on your bumper.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #31

I believe many states have laws that state if you have x number of cars behind you, you must pull off when safe and let them go by even if you are driving the speed limit. That is still considered impeding traffic. You may beat it going to court but do you want to waste your time doing that?
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
I believe many states have laws that state if you have x number of cars behind you, you must pull off when safe and let them go by even if you are driving the speed limit. That is still considered impeding traffic. You may beat it going to court but do you want to waste your time doing that?
Seems like we hear pretty regularly about law enforcement citing folks who camp out in the left lane of freeways and divided highways - so I'm going to assume a ticket in that situation is a legitimate risk.

The "pull off when safe and let others pass" rule makes sense as well - when you're talking about a vehicle that's moving at speeds well below the posted speed limit.

However a "you must pull off - even if you're driving the speed limit" has an urban myth quality to it. This sounds suspiciously like something my kid (who's got a half dozen speeding tickets of the past few years) would try to cite. A short ride with him makes it abundantly clear that it's his heartfelt belief that anybody and everybody who happens to be in front of him are obligated clear from his chosen path.

If driving on a two lane road (one lane in each direction) ... and moving along at the speed limit where exactly would one be expected to "pull off" too? Somebody's driveway? A private business's parking lot (which by the way can get you in trouble in it's own right ...). Throw "passing lane" into the mix - and yes, the guy at the head of the line has an obligation to move right. What would the "when safe" option be when it's one lane in each direction and all the vehicles involved are moving at posted speeds?

I just can't see anybody getting ticketed (unless it's an always possible revenue grab). Has anybody ever been pulled over under these circumstances?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Alaska is testing a new dual speed limit to help with issues like these.

Right lane 55 mph left lane 65 mph.

They already have a law on some roads that requires drivers to use turn outs if they are holding up 5 or more cars. In the 8 years I lived there never saw anyone follow that rule.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Motorists Behind You

I did it ( a few years before that ) while there 2004 . If I ever go back , you'll see me doing it some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

They already have a law on some roads that requires drivers to use turn outs if they are holding up 5 or more cars. In the 8 years I lived there never saw anyone follow that rule.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #35

Speaking of pull over laws. Indiana, and some other states have a pull over law covering driving in the "high-speed"/left lane of an interstate, no matter how fast you are driving you must pull into the right lane when another vehicle is behind you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've have no first hand knowledge of anyone ever getting a ticket for holding up traffic on a two lane road or driving below the speed of traffic in the left lane of a four lane road. I just don't think the odds of getting a ticket in either situation are very high.

Having said that, I don't know why you wouldn't want to let those behind you go by when it's safe to do so whether you are driving the speed limit or not. I've seen many an unsafe pass as a result of someone holding up traffic.

As one who looks at speed limits as "advisory" I'm more than willing to let people go as fast as they want and will get out of their way. I've seen too many unsafe passes caused by people who won't move over and let traffic flow. How self centered do you have to be to think traffic control is your job?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I have found that driving 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit seems to upset the least amount of people/passengers and is also quite safe. This is how I taught all of my kids to drive.

There is a direct correlation between speed and getting tickets, however I'm not convinced that there is a direct correlation between speed and being a safe driver. Some of the most unsafe drivers I've seen (sometimes as a passenger) never go over the speed limit.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #38

We once had a fender come loose. It was sticking out the passenger side like an airplane wing. Couldn't see it in the mirrors. I only saw it when I luckily signaled a lane change left and there was something out of place visible in the side camera. Could have killed somebody before figuring that out. Also had a basement door swing open once while driving. Luckily my wife was following in the car for that one and saw it before I did.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
How self centered do you have to be to think traffic control is your job?
Are you implying that those who don't want to pull over have traffic control in mind, rather than their own convenience or safety?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #40
Community Administrator

Reminder of our be nice rule.

"Be courteous
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice. We encourage everyone to participate in and enjoy the Community while at the same time adhering to these rules:"

Let's discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Many stated have a traffic delay law. For instance, Indiana has a law requiring slow-moving vehicles to pull off the road at the earliest practical spot when 7 or more vehicles are following them.
This law was designed for farm equipment, but applies to any vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
There are any states that have laws mandating you pull over when X number of cars are behind you. That number varies. I know most RVers don't like to start out on an upgrade, but that's what you have to do. Plus it's the courteous thing to do.
Nevada is 5, don't worry though, easy to pass here as nobody is on the rural 2 lane roads
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #42

I live in Oregon and have driven 101 in both directions many times. There are plenty of places to pull off as the OP stated. That being said,perhaps the driver was new at driving and may have been of the mind set that if he pulled over he would fall off the pavement. When I first got my trailer, I was terrified of passing anyone, so I tended to just putter along in the slow lane doing my speed and not moving over or slowing down for anyone ( I was afraid of getting rear ended). Now I know better and am a far safer driver. Not excusing his actions, but he may have had the false visual of being bigger than he was and afraid.
Or he could have been a jerk.

To some people have the mindset that George Carlin talked about:

People faster than you are maniacs and those going slower than you are jerks ( to keep it nice - not direct quote).

"Jerk! Get out of the way!"
"Look at that maniac go!"
Crashogre is offline   Reply With Quote