Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Mountains and the V10 Ford

Hello everyone, Thanks in Advance. I will try to be breif but doubt that will happen. Getting ready to retiree for the last time. We have been reading and researching the RV lifestyle for 3+ years. Decided on a class C for our travels. Great size for us and the places we want to visit. We will be traveling few times a year with one trip lasting at least a month. That month would be in AZ. Grandchildren will be with us sometimes for short stays. We pack very lightly. The major question is can a Ford V-10 gasser hold up in the mountains. We live in MI and will be making many trips that involve steep grades. I know the fuel economy will be around 8 mpg for a 30 ft. Winnebago Aspect or similiar Jayco Melbourne. Miles per year should be around 7,000 to 10,000. We seemed concerned with the high RPMs required to get up these steep grades. Are there many who drive the I-40 and I-17 to Phoenix. Sometimes down through Payson to Phoenix. Some 6/7% grades through there. Are they a problem. How does the brakes hold up on these grades. I know about dowmshifting from reading on here to help breaking. A toad may be involved later but not at first. Thanks for your thoughts and have a wonderful day with safe travels.
PapaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 31' Sunseeker with the V10 in it and it would run as fast as you wanted to drive it. Traveled all over western NC and eastern TN and never had a problem one with the hills. I normally got around 9 at 60 MPH 70-75 you will get somewhere around 7 MPH...good luck..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaChuck
Hello everyone, Thanks in Advance. I will try to be breif but doubt that will happen. Getting ready to retiree for the last time. We have been reading and researching the RV lifestyle for 3+ years. Decided on a class C for our travels. Great size for us and the places we want to visit. We will be traveling few times a year with one trip lasting at least a month. That month would be in AZ. Grandchildren will be with us sometimes for short stays. We pack very lightly. The major question is can a Ford V-10 gasser hold up in the mountains. We live in MI and will be making many trips that involve steep grades. I know the fuel economy will be around 8 mpg for a 30 ft. Winnebago Aspect or similiar Jayco Melbourne. Miles per year should be around 7,000 to 10,000. We seemed concerned with the high RPMs required to get up these steep grades. Are there many who drive the I-40 and I-17 to Phoenix. Sometimes down through Payson to Phoenix. Some 6/7% grades through there. Are they a problem. How does the brakes hold up on these grades. I know about dowmshifting from reading on here to help breaking. A toad may be involved later but not at first. Thanks for your thoughts and have a wonderful day with safe travels.
We had a 30'6" class c with the ford v10 - 2008. Always plenty of power. It will SCREAM at hi revs to get you up those hills. The towhaul mode is great for the decents, automatically downshifting for you. Very noisy and hot though. We were lucky to get 6.5mpg towing a Jeep Wrangler.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Our 01 Adventurer on the F53 chassis has almost 90,000 miles on the odometer. It's been to Alaska, Newfoundland, and just about everywhere in between towing either our Buick LeSabre or the Jeep Wrangler. It's been to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and all the other mountan states more times than I can count. You won't be passing anyone at 70 mpg going up the hills but you won't have any trouble keeping up with traffic either.

Going in and out of Skagway Alaska is a 12% grade for 12 miles. Ours did just fine both ways. Been to Phoenix a couple times as well. 6% and 7% grades won't give you any problems unless you're stuck in stop and go traffic. We had that happen once going up to the Johnson tunnel (Eisenhower tunnel going east). There was construction on and off for several miles. Just when you'd get up to speed everything would slow to a stop. The motorhome was up for it, but I didn't want to work it that hard so we unhooked the toad and drove seperatly. It certainly improved our uphill acceleration, and was a lot easier on the brakes.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

I had a 04 class a v10 on hwy 441 in Franklin nc all it could do in first, I thought I was going to get out and push.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
4000 RPM sounds a lot worse than it is. These engines are designed to develop max HP in that range. It sounds hard on the engine but it really isn't, it's just sucking gas by the bucket full!
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
4000 RPM sounds a lot worse than it is. These engines are designed to develop max HP in that range. It sounds hard on the engine but it really isn't, it's just sucking gas by the bucket full!
Agreed, the V10 is designed to get it's power up high and in my experience it has plenty of it. It's just loud and in an E450 van, very hot.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With the big gasser, you can count on three things...it'll be screaming bloody murder, the mileage will be terrible...but it'll do the job.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
With the big gasser, you can count on three things...it'll be screaming bloody murder, the mileage will be terrible...but it'll do the job.
Yup. We had a 99 pace arrow, 36 feet, 22,000 pounds plus toad, 275 hp...
She would indeed do any asked of her.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68

Yup. We had a 99 pace arrow, 36 feet, 22,000 pounds plus toad, 275 hp...
She would indeed do any asked of her.
Mine has 362 HP. Don't even need to ask her. She just does.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are concerned about the way your V 10 handles the climbs check out the threads on five star and banks engine upgrades . I prefer if possible to just climb the mountain grades at a speed that is slower than posted speed limit. After all when I'm out in my motor home I'm not in a hurry to get where I'm going.
Enjoy your travels and post lots of pictures
Pat
Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #12

We have a 37 foot Tiffin, 26,000 lbs, with the Ford V-10 and when be bought it I was very concerned about the power, weight, hills, etc where we almost didn't purchase it. Well we have owned it a little over a year now and put 10,000 miles on it, and it is really running great. We came up I-77, from NC to Virginia, and ran 65 mph all the way up the mountain. The DW even asked me to slow down.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

We own a 31 ft Class "C" Motor home with the triton V-10, pulling a chevy cavalier. We came across Arizona on I-40 to Flagstaff, then up to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and over to California without any problems. Our average speed was 62 mph, and average mpg was 6.7. If you are not one of those idiots that have to travel at 75 - 80 mph you should not have any problems.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

You didn't give a model year so you have information for at least three, maybe four different engine and transmission combinations.

2000 motorhome, 34 feet pulling a CRV toad, 18,000 pound chassis, same engine transmission that is in a class C.
Going up steep grades, after the climb has started I put the tranny in the gear I want, either 2 or 1 depending on grade, maintain engine rpm at 4000. I don't care what is behind or how slow I am going. It is my MH and I am going to take care of it no matter what is behind !
Going down: steep grades or long descents, The only time you should get on the brakes is to drop to a lower gear.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10