Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an outdide TV that was east to mount. It just sits on the floor of the bay. Only problem I have with it are the BUGS that eat me alive when I try and use it in the evening.
Never never has it disturbed a neighbor in case that is a consideration.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My comment on outdoor TV"s is please do NOT.

You may like being able to watch your whatever outside,, but frankly, Odds are I'm not interested in that program.. nor is your next site neighbor. Nor are we interested in your whooping and hollering every time your team scores.
Rather harsh. A good neighbor will have tolerance and if needed let a neighbor know when there is a problem. Without a doubt 10% of your neighbors will be "unresponsive", on the positive side, 90% will be a new friend. That other 10% have and will always make life difficult for the rest of us.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Ditto. One of our requirements when looking for another coach was that it NOT have an outside TV...we would not use it and like the extra storage space.
Most of the new built-ins don't compromise storage space. They are mounted in the side of the coach, above the bays. (And I also would prefer not to have one. )
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #18

I am obviously in the minority, but I never really understood why there is even a TV on the inside of a RV. With so many beautiful things to see and experience in nature, and the concept of making the effort to get away from it all in your RV and then to sit in front of the boob tube is mind boggling.

I apologize to the op for going off topic.................Rob
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I'm in the process of installing an outside TV now. Here is a link to a video I made during the fit check. It's apart now for paint and I'm waiting for a Amplifier that was backordered, but in a week or so I'll have it done.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%213471

The real goal here for me was to not loose storage in the bay I installed the TV in.
Dick
I'm anxious to see how it looks, Dick! The video is great.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
I am obviously in the minority, but I never really understood why there is even a TV on the inside of a RV. With so many beautiful things to see and experience in nature, and the concept of making the effort to get away from it all in your RV and then to sit in front of the boob tube is mind boggling.

I apologize to the op for going off topic.................Rob
Thats the beauty of living in a free society !!
I'll bet that after a full day of enjoying the great outdoors some folks might want to watch some TV or a Movie late at night. Or maybe just read a book.
Just a thought
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
My tv (video in the linked thread) is on a full-motion mount and then attached to a home made frame.

Although it take a lot of side to side space (40"), it only uses 8" of depth out of the 21" deep bay. All the room behind is still usable. Built it that way.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Thats the beauty of living in a free society !!
I'll bet that after a full day of enjoying the great outdoors some folks might want to watch some TV or a Movie late at night. Or maybe just read a book.
Just a thought
I agree Chuck. I guess I am more of a book person.

By the way, Nice coupe in your avatar!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, seems quite a few opinions on why not to have an outside TV. I'm of the other opinion. I installed a 26" TV in one of my basement compartments. I will complete the install by putting it on an articulating arm so I can use the area behind it for storage.

For me I'd rather be setting outside watching a game with the volume at a reasonable level vs facing the service side of my neighbors coach counting the number of spirals in their sewer hose.

By the way you don't need an outside TV to get whooping and hollering. During our local high schools spring break several campers, at the park we were at, had parties that lasted until the 11:00 PM quiet time. Several cases of beer. men and women is a perfect combination for whoopin and hollering!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Just installed one in my side compartment posted PIC's on the class A site. Moved outside TV, installed flat screen on 3-26-12, posted PIC's on how I did it, Put a swing arm on and it worked out great. I only put in a 22 inch flat screen as I didn't want to bother the neighbors with a great big one, I can sit a little closer and not try to upset anyone. I like to sit outside while camping but also like watching my Brewers that's why I have one. Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #25

Wow, I had no idea this would be such a lively discussion! lol
Thanks for the help and I promise if we ever get it mounted outside, I will keep the volume down and the cheering to a minimum!
No worries
Jennifer P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #26

On my old toy hauler I bought a pivoting arm tv mount that had two bases. I mounted one base outside beside the door and the other base in the bedroom, so I moved the tv wherever I wanted to watch it. The outside mount was under the dinnett so I ran the cable thru the outside wall under the seat/ storage area with exterior fitting purchased at my local RV dealer. Already had a electrical plug there so I just put the cable fitting beside it, other than the small mount, it all looked factory. We now have a motorhome with the tv in the storage bay but I hate having the bay door open to watch it, just can't bring myself to drill holes in the new motorhome, but liked the exterior mount much better than the storage bay mount. Now for my opinion, we used the TV mostly while tailgating so everybody else had a TV also. It has been my experience that camping is a social hobby, if you are going to be offended by someone watching TV or listening to a ball game on the radio outside their RV then maybe a place such as a campground where you are in such close proximity to other people is the wrong place for you!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P View Post
Wow, I had no idea this would be such a lively discussion! lol
Thanks for the help and I promise if we ever get it mounted outside, I will keep the volume down and the cheering to a minimum!
No worries
No beer, no guys no problem!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
We got a basic 32" LCD just to put in the basement when we're camping and tailgating. One of the best purchases so far. Rarely is a sports game on during real camping, but there might be a good childrens movie for our closest friends young one's that join us often. When evening comes and everyone has been fed, the adults sit around the campfire and have cocktails and chat about adult stuff, the kids enjoy a movie. It works out perfect.

I do one annual all men camping trip a year with about 200 other Fraternal brothers. There's usually several dozen folks with RV's of some sort. That one's another story. It's loud and rowdy! There's any kind of sports on then, but usually recorded stuff like NFL's hardest hits, drag racing, drag boats, motorcycle racing, etc. No objectional stuff, not in to that. The movies and music videos (about 400 recorded so far) get sent through a very loud Kicker Boom Box. Because we have an area so large, there's not really anyone outside of our group close enough that we bother them.

Tailgating at my son's college footballs games is the most frequent event we use the TV for. It's the best! Camping without any hook ups, but in a paved lot. It's not about the great outdoors, it's about being with friends, enjoying great food and company and not having to worry about a dui after the game and a few beers. Game day starts with music videos, then progresses to sports, always college football. We always have the same neighbors tailgating, because we get a season RV tailgating pass. We have gotten to know each other and we play what everyone likes.

For the grumpy one that doesn't care to watch my programming. Turn around! I always try to be a good neighbor and be considerate of the volume within our campsite. If we happen to get a little loud with our whooping and hollering for others comfort and they ask us to tone it down, I apologize and we tone it down politely and without protest. I'm not gonna be a donkey to camping neighbors, that's bad karma and it catches up to ya.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote