Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Well, Got home with new mousetraps and expanding foam. Other than the shredded toilet paper under bathroom sink, I see no other evidence of mice. Trap is still set and not molested overnight. So, hopefully they came in for a short time during a recent rainy or drought event and are no longer hanging around.

Regardless, wife bought the packets of mouse repellent and made a batch of her own and placed them in a couple spots in the trailer. I put traps inside, and a bunch outside near tires, jacks, etc to see if I can trap them BEFORE the re-enter the trailer.

Foamed a couple holes where wires and hoses come into area between floor and bottom of trailer.

Thanks for all the feedback. We will likely do this from now on no matter where we park the trailer. I know how hard they are to get rid of once they are inside and settled in.

And, for what it is worth, we DO travel with our cat in the trailer. And there is a permanent cat box in the storage area under the dining bench seat. So hopefully the smell of the cat will also help with the mouse issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Pure peppermint oil on cotton balls also repels them, and it smell nice !
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Mice don't care if your RV is new or old!
The mix she made had peppermint, lavendar, tea tree, lemon, citronella, cedarwood, included in a blend called pest-defy.

As for mentioning that the trailer is new...I just assumed the seals would be tight enough in a new trailer to keep the critters out.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #17

Do leave snap traps along the walls as they cannot see well and travel along walls for feel good security.

Steel wool mixed in with spray in foam.

Harbor freight has bore cameras so you can see behind things.

Rust - Oleum makes a great spray in bed liner for about 12 bucks a can and they do not seem to like it.

Our older CC is built like a tank with every pipe or wire hole through the floor drilled just right and sealed with RTV except....

Where the water utility enters it was a large space above frame rail and holes for single point drains slightly larger than hose.

They crawled along frame rail then chewed through the dryer vent pipe used as conduit then through the pex and gained entry.

You can use a small hose to extend the reach of the foam to really make it difficult for them again.

They did not chew on anything with undercoating thus the bed liner.

Photos are of area well above fuel tank where one cannot reach and between frame rail and gray tank also where one cannot touch.

The frame rail side had foam sprayed in then steel wool pushed into foam with more foam.

Now top coated with bed liner...no photo yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442162043227.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	106757   Click image for larger version

Name:	1442162101227.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	106758  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1442162142082.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	106759  
Old 09-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Friend of mine works for a pest control company.

He said to place at least two traps because mice travel in pairs.

A regular DH and DW team. They just want to go RVing too!
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Well, Got home with new mousetraps and expanding foam. Other than the shredded toilet paper under bathroom sink, I see no other evidence of mice. Trap is still set and not molested overnight. So, hopefully they came in for a short time during a recent rainy or drought event and are no longer hanging around.

Regardless, wife bought the packets of mouse repellent and made a batch of her own and placed them in a couple spots in the trailer. I put traps inside, and a bunch outside near tires, jacks, etc to see if I can trap them BEFORE the re-enter the trailer.

Foamed a couple holes where wires and hoses come into area between floor and bottom of trailer.

Thanks for all the feedback. We will likely do this from now on no matter where we park the trailer. I know how hard they are to get rid of once they are inside and settled in.

And, for what it is worth, we DO travel with our cat in the trailer. And there is a permanent cat box in the storage area under the dining bench seat. So hopefully the smell of the cat will also help with the mouse issue.
I've always wondered if cat scent has any affect. What I'm getting at is all throughout nature, critters mark their turf, be it with spray, bears clawing a tree, my dogs doing the feet scrape thing after peeing, whatever.

So my theory here, and I'm not meaning to be gross but just thinking objectively, what if you set a couple small trays with some used cat litter under the coach?

Seriously.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #20

Trays of cat litter??? Won't hurt a durned thing! I can think of worse places to put that stuff...
Old 09-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
We live on 10 acres in the Mojave desert and had big issues with mice in our previous MH, they chewed wires, made nests behind the drawers in the bedroom etc. They are sneakiy Little devils. We had one who was caught in a trap by his leg, could hear the trap rattling under the dashboard, but could not locate him, he reappeared the next day in the step well. We tried everything, steel wool, regular spray foam, peppermint, and other repellents only had very limited success (they chewed right through the regular spray foam) until hubby lined the under bed area with sheet aluminum and sealed holes with aluminum sheeting. We found they now make pest deterrent builders foam (says it has a bad bitter taste) and used that in the smaller areas. Still had one more area they were getting in and were going to use spray foam, but traded it instead. We have caught a couple in the new MH, with spring traps. Found a good video on a yahoo group site that shows ares for potential air intrusion and how to seal them. Will be doing that when we get the MH back from the repair shop. (It was used, needed some things fixed) Hubby wants to build an electrified fence around the MH on a concrete foundation, don't know if even that would keep them out!!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #22

Hahahahaha

Man, after all the "uh oh" stories in this thread, OP ain't gonna be able to sleep until he nukes every rodent for 20 miles.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TQ60"....good point about traveling along walls.....I never thought about that, but whenever you see TV shows where they're using night cameras, the rodents are always stuck to the wall as they travel.

I have no proof that they actually work, but after finding a nice size nest above the propane tank on my previous coach, I added one of the electronic mouse deterrents in my shore power outlet which is about mid coach. They never came back. On my new coach, I leave one outside on the shore power outlet and one on the outlet in my middle bay......no issues.

My neighbor had reoccurring issues with them building nests on the intake manifold of Class A gasser. He installed flashing LED's under the hood and no longer has issues.

I always keep a couple of traps stored in a cabinet in the coach. We never had one inside while travelling until a few years ago while at Zion. I finally caught the little butthead after sitting up with a spatula in both hands for about 2 hours. If it occurs on the road again, I'll have a couple of traps on hand.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #24

Then there is that somewhat recent post with pics of the burned up 2007 Dolphin due to rodent nest on engine...................

Geez, and I got a dolphin. there goes my sleep too..................
Old 09-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Hahahahaha

Man, after all the "uh oh" stories in this thread, OP ain't gonna be able to sleep until he nukes every rodent for 20 miles.

ALMOST!!!

But not that bad. I have had a house that got a norway rat infestation. We are VERY clean people, but there was an empty lot behind our house with an abandoned building on it, and they were coming across the top of the fence between the properties, and climbing up our stormdrains for a safe place to sleep.

Took a few months, but we got rid of them. And the drains. AND the one that was living in the fender of my truck and crapping in the fresh air intake for the cab... HE was a difficult one to get rid of.

Had a couple mice in the current house just after we remodeled, and found where they were getting in, and fixed that permanently.

I am confident that I can nip this trailer mouse problem in the bud quickly.

But seriously, you guys gave me a lot of good "heads ups", and I was not aware that mice were such a problem in trailers and rvs. Now I know to keep my eyes open better.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #26

Gotta be a variety of factors. Thinking about his a sec........

We have a young lady at work who lives out of town, in prime critter territory. Drives a Chevy SUV every day, no issues. Then she had to travel for a week. When she got back, she couldn't figure out what the smell in her car was all about, and they tore out the glove box and HVAC ducting, etc. The rodent had managed to get into her heater/AC airbox behind the glovebox, apparently via ducting, and got trapped and died.

WTH?????????

all that time with no issues, and then her car is parked outside along the weeds for a week, and....................
Old 09-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Gotta be a variety of factors. Thinking about his a sec........

We have a young lady at work who lives out of town, in prime critter territory. Drives a Chevy SUV every day, no issues. Then she had to travel for a week. When she got back, she couldn't figure out what the smell in her car was all about, and they tore out the glove box and HVAC ducting, etc. The rodent had managed to get into her heater/AC airbox behind the glovebox, apparently via ducting, and got trapped and died.

WTH?????????

all that time with no issues, and then her car is parked outside along the weeds for a week, and....................
That is kinda what happened to my truck. We had a couple of wet weeks, and all of a sudden my truck smells like wet ashtray. I don't smoke.

After a couple weeks, I look around and find about 3 POUNDS of rat poop in the cowl vent in front of the windshield. I take the front of the truck apart, clean it all out, bleach it (throw away the wet or dry vac...it is SHOT after sucking all that crap out!) and start over.

A week later...wet ashtray again. Upon checking...another 2 pounds of poop in the same place. Another wet-or-dry vac and some lavender oils, and bleach, and park the truck across the street in a vacant lot, and two days later... (go ahead, and guess...)

So I took the front of the truck apart again, and took off the fenders, and found the nest. Left it all apart and chased the rat all over the yard with a shovel (the neighbors probably took video and posted it to you-tube!) and finally just set out a snap trap for a couple nights. Got her the first night, nothing for two more nights, so put it all back together, and no problems since.

But MANY lessons learned from that ordeal!

EDIT--100th POST!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
When I found mouse droppings inside my battery box, this is what I did.

I placed a protecta Rat box underneath the RV, this is a box that you secure the poison blocks into, I had to use the box as I have dogs, the box has a scabarb (SP?) that secures the poison blocks inside the box, so the rat/mouse cannot remove it.

I figure I would give them (mice) something to eat (Poison) before they get into the RV.

What I have discovered, no more droppings in the battery box, but plenty of bites off the poison blocks.

I want to get rid of them, not chase them away.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Tags
vent